Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Tech Shed

Yes, they did. The winner was torn down to the crank for weighing, and other checks I am sure. Final results on scca.com Pam
Old 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Vir

Claudia and I did the two day tow to VIR, with rain most of one day. Last several hours was up and down hill on ok roads. We bypassed the real twisty stuff, as we were told that the Big Kahuna wouldn't make it. The track pretty much kicked my ass for four days. First day (misting rain on slicks on a track I had only driven in the golf kart - (Thank you Andy McDermid for showing Little Andy and me around) I did a 720 spin into the grass. Second day a 360 and a 180 added to the misery. In addition, Andy Schneidemeyer and I went to the Monday night welcome party (after at least an hour waiting for the shuttle) only to find there was NO food. Then, another hour and a half to get back to the track. Compared to MidO or RA, it was the pits. Tuesday, Claudia and I had pretty good food at the Mazda area. Mazda really takes care of SCCA racers - not just the ones who race their cars. Wednesday, saw three more spins, resulting in my sliding sideways and backwards into the tire wall, tearing off the rear bumper cover. Ed Sodano did the repairs and I painted it with the only paint I had - black. We walked up the hill to the worker awards party, at about 7 p.m. to find they only had corn and mac and cheese left. Six lines of workers stood for an hour, waiting for food that never came. Pathetic.
Race day, I moved up about four or five places in three corners, only to get behind a Mustang blowing oil all over the track. I slid off a couple of times. More later.

wheel
Old 10-14-2019, 03:23 PM

One of those I passed on the first lap was Danny. He was off on the left side at turn 2. Pam can tell us what happened. Danny was really fast all week, taking second day pole and being 2nd when we took the green. Fast MF.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Video of the race?

Guys, I missed seeing the race live, but I've heard it was a good one. Any idea when the video will be available?
Old 10-14-2019, 07:11 PM

It usually takes several weeks, and they start with race 1 and go on. My guess is early Nov.
wheel
Old 10-14-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Electrical Failure

We had a failure of the wire that powered the MSD, aka, no spark. Likely related to the fire we had in April. Not sure yet. Zero indication prior to the failure that it was starting to happen. The MSD power wire grounded and blew a fuse. No recovery from that. No other wires suffered the same fate.

Very disappointing, to say the least. Pam
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 AM

Jim Wheeler, thank you for the info. Pam Richardson, sorry for such a disappointing end to the season. Danny was clearly in position for a good result.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Wheel, I would say you should be use to a Mustang blowing oil all over the place but you are usually in front of me. Sorry it was a tough week and sad to hear the SCCA did such a poor job on the parties.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 AM

That was the most fun i've had racing, it was a great track but farely challenging to learn in 3 days, the race i was behind jim for most of it and he put on a show, about 1/2 through the race i went off at the top of the climbing esses right after jim went off so every time i would make a run to pass jim my temp would start climbing and i backed off so i wouldnt hurt the engine. Hopefully amy aquailante is doing better after that big hit.
Also would like to say thanks to jim, ted and his crew for all the help at the runoffs. Also to kelly lubash for the friday night dinner.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 AM

I struggled with handling all week, and think I had too much front camber for the track. After spinning in the Mustang's oil, I charged back hard, only to lose all the teeth on third gear. I finished the last lap and a half holding it in 4th. On the way home, I lost a wheel on the trailer. All lugs had been torqued, but they just came off. It buggered the studs, but I always carry a spare hub/brake drum assembly, so it was a pretty easy fix. Got home Sunday in time to see the Chiefs lose.