Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM

I use the Wilwood H compound. The 30 compound works very well, also and is compatible with the H.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Carbotech !!!!

Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 PM

the guys at G-loc will know which you should use
Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 PM

Regarding brake pads, the Raybestos ST45 and 47 get very good reviews - a full race compound, of course. I just installed a set of them and looking forward to trying them out.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 AM

I have a new question about my car. I lost the power steering this weekend at Grattan and curious what others are doing for replacements. Of course as an LP car, I can't go too extreme. OE type replacements seem a bit conservative but it's what the book says. The stock part has a flimsy reservoir and cap and I'd like to do something better but not sure if there is anything.

Also curious what kind of rear end gearing people are using. I know some keep that a secret but curious if I should look into something different. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have no idea what I have. It's whatever was in the T4 car that this started as.

Last edited by rx555; 08-25-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM

Looking at the rules you can only use an OEM or factory equivalent, I think you need to slow it down by running a larger pully. This will help with the temperature of the fluid.

IMO, I don't see why the same rules don't apply to RP cars as FP cars here. The same problem of reliability exists with no real performance improvement. You should write a letter to the CRB.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:17 PM

OEM or aftermarket replacement pumps should work ok, but won't last forever. I get 3-5 years out of them.
Underdrive pulleys help to keep rpms low, small coolers help, and I use type F fluid which seems to foam less and take the heat better than the newer stuff.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 08-25-2020, 12:34 PM

Grattan's not super fast. Top speed is 135-ish, so 3.73 works for most to put you near red line in 4th.
Road America should be geared for 150+mph, so 3.60 or 3.55. If you can use 5th gear effectively then higher will work.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 08-25-2020, 10:42 PM

Default answer to your woes RX555--

"I have a new question about my car. I lost the power steering this weekend at Grattan and curious what others are doing for replacements. Of course as an LP car, I can't go too extreme. OE type replacements seem a bit conservative but it's what the book says. The stock part has a flimsy reservoir and cap and I'd like to do something better but not sure if there is anything.

Also curious what kind of rear end gearing people are using. I know some keep that a secret but curious if I should look into something different. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I have no idea what I have. It's whatever was in the T4 car that this started as. "

Per the rules, you can't change the pump---There is nothing wrong with the stock LS1 power steering pump. We used the same one for 10 years with no problems. Make sure it is the LS1 pump and not the V6 pump, Use a power steering cooler--the original GM option one or and air to oil one, and proper Power steering fluid. Also make sure you are using the LS1/V8 steering rack--the V6 ones are a bit slower and use different pressures. and finally install an underdrive crankshaft pulley---this is mandatory as the PS and Alt. both can spin too fast at the higher RPM's. Also get a larger Alternator pulley if possible.

For the Diff the stock ratio was either 3.23 or 3.42 you should be good with 3.73 final drive The Auburn Racer diff for the F-Body's works great too

Hope this helps--Dean
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Any ideas on what ps pump pulley to get, ie how much smaller? I see all kinds of stuff out there but don't know what's right for road racing. Some can be pretty pricey.