Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Default From the mouths of babes

Regional racing at Laguna Seca wrapped up after two gorgeous weather days and a small overall entry of around 150 cars. Of these were 3 Spec Mustangs making up the entire A Sedan field. The times turned would have put these three in the front rows for the Laguna Runoffs. Roger Eagleton, running a tired car, easily clipped off a 1:39 lap record for A Sedan. And here's his quote (from his Facebook page) as to the potential improvement when talking about his new lap record time:

"it was only a 39. I think in the # 98 car we could get it down to low 38 or even a high 37, but for this car, it’s not bad.

And yeah, the brakes on the Spec Mustang’s are pretty incredible when you consider it’s a 3,500 pound car with stock ABS (but I’m sure the 14 inch StopTech Big Brake kit has a lot to do with that"

and at the first race at Thunderhill this year several of the SMGs were two seconds under the AS lap record there. Yeah. Looks like the CRB really thought this one out well when they added SMG to AS complete with ABS, 14" brakes, full race suspension, wings and splitters, bigger rims and tires and...well, you know the drill.

One of the founders of SMG and one of the principals in the preparation shop for these cars told me prior to the start of the weekend that he expected the SMG/AS cars to be much slower than the AS record and the splitter, wing and ABS really didn't help the lap times. When I told him I expected a 1:39 from the SMGs he laughed in my face. Yeah, the SMG group is laughing all right..but at the gullible CRB that approved them as is.

Have fun at VIR this weekend. It's the last race in AS before the SMG crowd show up at the Runoffs and claim the top 3 spots on the podium.
��

Last edited by Richard Pryor; 04-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 AM

Just a question - what is "MC"? Okay, two quuestions - what are the rules?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM

the new Northern California class "MC" stands for Muscle Car. It is an independent group of ex-AS drivers who do not like the direction SCCA is going in regards to rules and philosophy for the class with the addition of SMG and the increased level of expense of preparation. MC rules incorporate pre-2019 AS rules with several additions to keep expenses contained such as specifically restricting tires such as the A series Hoosiers. MC can run with any organization, not just SCCA. Due to the rules stability and cost containment there are currently 4 drivers that have run both of the SCCA Regionals this year in the SFRegion. Two more garage bound AS cars are currently being rebuilt by their owners to join the local class fun. There is no truth to the rumor that you have to be an AARP card carrying driver to participate but that's the way it's shaking out. We're all in our senior years and are just out for fun racing with each other. The first MC race at THunderhill was won by rookie Charles Laster in his first race after drivers' school there and the race this past weekend was won by Lynne Griffiths, 5th place finisher in AS at the Runoffs at Sonoma last year.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM

And there it is: Club American Sedan.

I've been pushing for this for years. Just like CFF and CFC.

Slightly older, restricted rules set. Restricted tires. Regional only.

Have it in the GCR. Now you have AS cars that can run regionally, and participate in a meaningful regional series.

Get enough participation, and I bet it becomes an ARRCmclass.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Default Having Fun

I'm the one who wrote the rules for MC with input from Richard and others.
It was created to simplify,cut costs,entice new participants,equalize competition. So far it seems to be working. The rules are owned by myself and the little organization we have created, we are not really ready yet to publish these rules as we want to build a larger base so tweaks can be made.
Of interest tho may be the cars currently participating---Lynn has a newer LP 5.0 mustang, Bill Shepergedes' yellow 3rd gen Camaro (been parked since 2014 runoffs), My White 3rd gen Camaro, Bought by Charlie (mentioned above)(been parked since 2014), Richards 1999 LP Camaro (been parked since a Bush was a president). We expect at least one Fox body coming out,another parked 3rd gen, and also a new build LP car(!), At Laguna and Thunderhill all these cars ran within a second or so of each other and had some epic races. None of these cars have $15,000 engines, or even $10,000 engines---no 8,000 RPM engines in this group and we have no intention of allowing this type of engine build into the class. Provisions have been made in the rules to be able to adjust for this. We shall see how this goes, It is entirely possible that we will see 10 cars by the later part of the year.
Most of the drivers are very experienced older drivers--HAVING LOADS OF FUN!!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Default And---

The SMG cars have destroyed every track record at every track they have raced at on the west coast by at least 1-2 seconds. And these are Regional Races!!
and they have been running in their original class (SMG) in a second run group-- setting similar or faster times. Some track records are coming in Races, not Qualifying. All the times, etc are available on Race Hero online or the SF and Cal Club regions. Seriously---for all you guys in the rest of the country where there are none of these cars-----Your days are numbered---
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Default And--

Scott--I suppose you could call this like Club A Sedan, I've had this mulling around in my head for 10 years--since the major engine rule chance for full prep. We have no intention of this being a "Regional Class" and see no reason we can't grow this into a great fun multi area class. We have no intention of allowing this ruleset into the GCR
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM

American Sedan (and possibly ASedan) are copyright names, so you can't use them with another sanctioning body, other than SCCA. The ASAC meets tonight and they are aware of the issues (LAP Times) brought up here. We will see if they do anything about it at this point. From the start of the SMG issue, I have always thought the the car did not belong in ASedan. Pam and the old ASAC worked with the guy who built these cars, trying to get him to change a few things for them to make sense in ASedan. He refused and the WDYTs that went out to the ASedan driver came back opposed to prostituting the class for cars that did not fit.
Here we are, today. We will see what the new ASAC has to say about it.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Have any of the SMC cars raced against Andy M, John H, Phil S, Dan R, Ed H or any of the other top AS guys? Just curious how they "stacked up" against the fastest in the class in a head to head battle....
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Matt, these cars are San Fransisco Region only cars--were originally a SF Region only class and only seem to be built here. We never raced against them, but they have destroyed Aaron's track records from our days in A Sedan