Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan News

Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM

Default November 2018 Final Minutes

https://www.scca.com/pages/fastrack-news

Letters 25249 and 25274 were not in the Prelims because the final versions of both letters were not available in time for the Prelims.

The ASAC encourages you to review the two letters and provide feedback if you so feel. The decision on those two letters should be in the December 1-2 BOD meeting.

Pam
Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 AM

Thanks Pam for letting us know when the meeting is so people can get letters in on time. Could someone fill me in on the need for more transmission ratios? Seems like it will just separate the "men from the boys" even more. Some people must want to build transmissions for different tracks but I'm thinking it will just drive the cost up to be competitive. Just trying to open up some discussion on the matter to sway my opinion.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Matt,
The issue is that the RP cars come with the closer ratios as stock. These are ratios that some FP drivers have been asking for, for years. The RP guys want better transmissions (same boxes we run) but theirs would come with the better ratios. IF the RP guys get better racing boxes, then the FP guys should get the same ratios as the RP guys.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Got it. Thanks Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Default gear ratios

Matt---you are 100% right---there is no Need for any of these changes.
More rules creep that benefits one or two at the expense of the rest of the class. Stock ratios for all the cars in this class are similar as it is--the gearboxes used in the LP cars are so much better than those originally used in the FP cars they need no modification. With this comes mixing and matching gears, cases, and as you mentioned custom boxes for certain tracks. Also it now makes it more of a challenge to tech the gearboxes.
These kind of rule changes Do Not help the class--they kill it!!

Every year there is something changed---" for the better" if so--where are all the guys taking advantage of these great rules??

Sorry to say---because I love the cars and driving them, But I'm glad we are out
Old 11-02-2018, 01:55 PM

My guess is a close ratio gear box will benefit the FP high revving 302 guys (and gals) the most. That said the 50# weight penalty will probably result in very little change in lap times.

I do not not see this change driving current AS folks away, but I also don't see how it adds to AS numbers either.

AS has always been a tinkerer class, and this allows more tinkering. Fine with me.

BTW, I would add the close ratio Ford Top Loader to the list of approved transmissions. 2.32, 1.69, 1.29, 1.00

TH
Old 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM

If the RP guys want to use FP transmissions why don't they use FP ratios just curious if there is something mechanical preventing it.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:51 PM

Danny, Nothing would prevent it and bell housings are available.

fwiw-- I have never heard a RP driver or owner want to use a FP box.
As I mentioned the RP boxes are all very good. A T56 can easily handle 500hp and the new ones shift well. If it ain't broke why fix it?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:49 PM

Weight and power transfer/shift speed. All the GM tremic based stuff is constant mesh (I think that is the term) which takes a lot of power, and you move a lot of weight internally when you shift. They are SLOW.

Plus they weigh a ton. 125 pounds vs what, 70?

That being said, the FP boxes, with available R&P's on FP cars, reward high revving motors. The RP cars all turn 6800 to 7K, and won't work as well.

I think it is a more a perception change than a reality change.

Now, if you really want to actually SAVE money long term, allow everyone, RP or FP to run a winters/tiger style quick change rear end.

Yes, it costs more than a single rear end up front, but drop gear sets are ridiculously cheap, and changing them takes less than 15 minutes. So the people who carry around multiple rear ends, or change out R&P's at the track no longer need to do so, and the people who don't do that now have an easy equalizer, technically speaking.

This is just me talking, since I am no longer on the Ad hoc. I acknowledge it has a barrier to entry, but it is way less of a barrier than a true FP motor.

That's what makes me so sad about the death of the "RP motors" for FP cars initiative. Spend 1/3rd the cost of a competitive FP motor (including electronics), and get a competitive package that will run for multiple years between rebuilds.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Feedback

Above I suggested you to provide feedback if you so prefer. I meant you should send a letter to crbscca.com. Posting here is not official.

Reminder that the decision for 2019 on those two letters will be December 2-3 in the BOD meeting.

Jim is correct about the (some) RP cars getting FP transmissions. There is a REC item for the 4th Gen RP cars and 4.6 Fords, in letter 25249, October Fastrack, giving them close ratio gears as defined by their OEM transmissions.

Pam