Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Dexterdog

Default Track day car

Hello I'm new here and looking for some set up suggestions. I raced a formula vee for 15 years and go karts for the last 40 years! I've been doing track days with my 2007 Mustang GT for a few years now and having some fun. A couple years ago I started making some suspension changes and it seems everything I've done has made it handle worse! It understeers like a dumptruck! I'm asking you mustang guys what do I have to do to get this thing to turn! Here's what I have done so far. Kenny Brown front arms,rear roll center relocation brackets, trailing arm relocation brackets and Boss 302 tie rod ends(steering). then I added a BMR tubular K member and radiator support to save some weight. I also added the Ford Racing FR3 adjustable handling package. Well the car worked better stock I think! I added maximum motorsports camber plates and can get - 2.75 degrees and that seems to help but still understeering. I put the panhard bar back in the stock location, didn't really feel any change. OK so I got a set of 18x9.5 wheels and continental 275/35/18 slicks and went 4 seconds faster! 1:22:23 at Blackhawk Farms! but still understeering, just faster. So what I'm going to change this winter is putting the stock K member back on, I think the tubular K member flexes too much? also I ordered a set of Boss 302 lower controll arms and Steeda competition springs. Am I going in the right direction now? what do you guys suggest? I am doing this on a tiny budget so big dollar stuff is out for now. anyway any suggestions?? Thanks, Jim Ryder
Old 10-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterdog View Post
Hello I'm new here and looking for some set up suggestions. I raced a formula vee for 15 years and go karts for the last 40 years! I've been doing track days with my 2007 Mustang GT for a few years now and having some fun. A couple years ago I started making some suspension changes and it seems everything I've done has made it handle worse! It understeers like a dumptruck! I'm asking you mustang guys what do I have to do to get this thing to turn! Here's what I have done so far. Kenny Brown front arms,rear roll center relocation brackets, trailing arm relocation brackets and Boss 302 tie rod ends(steering). then I added a BMR tubular K member and radiator support to save some weight. I also added the Ford Racing FR3 adjustable handling package. Well the car worked better stock I think! I added maximum motorsports camber plates and can get - 2.75 degrees and that seems to help but still understeering. I put the panhard bar back in the stock location, didn't really feel any change. OK so I got a set of 18x9.5 wheels and continental 275/35/18 slicks and went 4 seconds faster! 1:22:23 at Blackhawk Farms! but still understeering, just faster. So what I'm going to change this winter is putting the stock K member back on, I think the tubular K member flexes too much? also I ordered a set of Boss 302 lower controll arms and Steeda competition springs. Am I going in the right direction now? what do you guys suggest? I am doing this on a tiny budget so big dollar stuff is out for now. anyway any suggestions?? Thanks, Jim Ryder
Morning Jim

As for your budget. You ave already spent more than the National Champ has.

I know there are lots of bolt on Mustang Stuff. But most of it is compromised for ease of install . And softened for street use (sorry but the truth is some times tough to hear) .

I design and fabricate all the chassis parts for the #24 8 time champ
(And do at times sell some).

American Sedan rules do not allow. Most of what you already purchased.

Not that your purchased parts, are bad. Our rules do not allow aftermarket K-member or control arms.

We can change bushings in the stock parts. And use after market Bars, Shocks and springs. Within the limit of the rules.

I have learned a bit over time. And one of those lessons is.
A bolt on kit is for those who want instant gratification.
And are preferred by those racing mid pack or less.

In all forms of racing. The easy way is seldom the fastest way.

Planning and Execution is everything. Trust me, If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

For starters Your Handicapped by the amount of front camber. That is easy in a bolt on world. The late Mustangs (2005 and newer) have small strut towers. And huge front spring diameters.

And if you want to drive it to and from the track. It will be a compromise.

I like 3.5 degrees negative camber in the front. If you have inverted Monotube struts. Much more if you are stuck with traditional style struts. As they bend dynamically on track with sticky tires.

In the old days 6 degrees negative camber in the front was common.

Tuning with bars, springs and shocks. Is the magic when going fast.
Building / assembling systems that are easy to tune trackside is a bigger deal!
And that will normally require modification outside the limits of bolt on kits.

WE really get a kick out of going to test days. Sharing the tack with guys from NASA and Continental Tire groups.

As they are always surprised by Our stock parts and small engines.
Going much faster than there best guys.

If you want to talk. I have a lot more to say about racing a mustang!
Send me a note

Aszilagyi@comcast.net

Last edited by aszilagyi; 10-15-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Track day car

Listen to Alex he is good you will not regret it. Questions after the new parts wil. Not be ignored.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Dexterdog

Thank you guys!