Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 01-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Wheels

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get a set of 5x120.65 17x8 wheels. I am having a hard time finding a set. I have a Chinese crap set that I am using now but would like to upgrade them before the season starts.

Last edited by Natebrod; 01-13-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: wrong rim size
Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM

What offset/backspacing do you want? Is this for a Gen3, or Gen4 GM, or something else?
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Gen4 GM 1994 Firebird. I am not sure what back spacing offset would be the best setup for the car in the class, what ever you are running I guess. I'm new.

Last edited by Natebrod; 01-13-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 PM

So I have spent most of the day looking at wheels. 17x9 wheels are very hard to find without spending a lot of money on having custom wheels made. Can I not run these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-Used-1...tWdMcy&vxp=mtr since I have aftermarket brakes? They are C5 front brakes and stock rear.

This car isn't fully AS legal at the moment but very close. I am using it primarily because it is very close to and AS car and I need to finish my novice permit. I do want to build a purpose built AS so I would like to buy things that would make the car I build fully legal.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 AM

Default 4th gen wheels

The Camaro SS wheels you mention are a good choice. You can usually find them on Craigslist cheaper than Ebay. (400 or less a set) We used these on our Firebird. These are a true 17X9 wheel if they are the original GM. The 5 spoke Gran Sport wheels also work well. In 17X8 we only found the Torque Thrust D copies which are heavy.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 PM

What is the point of the 8" rim width rule? We are already limited to a tire width. I don't mean to come on here and complain too much about the rules having only raced AS one time so far but this is the only rule I am having a real problem with understanding.

Since GM never made a 17x8 rim for the camrobird, or corvette for that matter, neither did any of the aftermarket guys.

Even Hoosier recommends a wider rim for the 275 tire!

And please don't think this will keep me from racing or having fun in AS.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Historical perspective.

The wheel rule goes way back to when the class was started from the SSGT class. The wheels were 16 x 8, and everyone who has raced the class for years (I changed to AS in 1994) has multiple sets of 16 x 8 wheels (I have 8 sets). In recent years, the rules allowed for Restricted Prep cars to run the stock sizes, as long as they ran stock brakes. If they upgraded the brakes, they had to run what the rest of us were running. Even more recently, the rule was changed for all cars to allow for 17 X 8 wheels. I have been running 275 tires on 16 x 8 wheels since I got into the class. Some of the old line, Andy McD, etc. have changed to 17" wheels, and there may be not advantage (or very little) to changing wheels. If the rule was changes to allow for, say 17 x 9, everyone, like me, would be required to dump our wheels and buy new stuff.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:34 PM

And a perspective from a Ford guy.

When I started in AS (5 years ago, I'm a relative new guy) it was very hard to find 16 x 8 ford wheels, lots of 16 x 7.5 but no factory or much aftermarket 16 x 8. Obviously you could pony up for a 3 piece racing wheel and get whatever you wanted, but very expensive. The GM's had tons of factory 16 x 8 wheels available. Hey that's not fair says the Ford guy.

I have collected about 3 sets of 16 x 8's over the years, so I will probably stay with them, but now with 17 x 8 being legal, the script has been flipped. Tons of ford 17 x 8 wheels out there, factory stuff, aftermarket, and cheap too. Hey that's not fair says the GM guy.

If you are starting out in a full prep GM, probably best to use 16 x 8 lots of inexpensive factory wheels out there. Starting out in a Ford best to go 17 x 8.

There would most likely be a significant advantage going to a 9" wide wheel, spreading the tire out almost always makes it work better. So RP cars, 17 x 9 ok (if stock), but there seem to be readily available 8" rims out there for both brands, just not the same diameter.

I agree with wheel, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut advantage going 16 or 17 inch rims.

Andy
Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 PM

I try to run about 25mm offset for my Gen 4 Firebird, front and back. I am running 16x8 wheels. I ordered a set from centerline, they would make them in the size I wanted for a reasonable price (at the time, about $200 each).
I strongly recommend against centerline. I had two of those split the rims at the bead, and had tires immediately go flat during sessions. These were roughly 18lbs/per wheel. I have a set of American racing Torque Thrust II, with about 18mm offset. These rub the inside of the front fender because I have to use a 1/4" spacer for the spokes to clear the brake caliper, but that is not really a problem. For rains, I have some 16x8 BBS and 16x8 stock camaro wheels which have like 55mm offset, and that I use pretty thick spacers with.

I am very unhappy with the wheel choice for GM (for either 17 or 16),
without changing to expensive custom wheels. And they are pretty much all heavy.

I am considering changing to 5x4.5" bolt pattern just in order to have a decent choice in wheels. If I did that, then the best choice in my opinion would be Enkei RPF1 with 35mm backspacing, and a 10mm spacer.

I think the 17x9 wheels that were suggested are only legal on restricted prep cars. Mine is a full-prep so that isn't an option for me.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the input. This info is invaluable to a new guy like me. Not trying to change the rule just understand it.

Hope to see some other west coast AS cars this year! I will be trying to make all the CalClub races this year and might even make it up north for a couple.