Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Default Memorial Day

Although I was in the Navy from 7 Oct 1962 until 1 Sept 1968, I never saw combat of any kind. My best friend, who also was my best man at my first wedding, went to Vietnam in 1967 as a 21-year old Marine. Bill Esslinger was a total car nut. He had a 1949 Mercury lead sled flat head V8 that was only 12 year old in 1962. He drove the living shit out of that car, at all times. Since we didn't have any money, he would tuck in about two feet behind any semi going his way. I think he was able to get 40 mpg with that car on the run from Cheyenne to Laramie, on I-80. Of course, once he got to the summit of the Lincoln highway, he put her in neutral and coasted all the way to Laramie. I remember many times where he used all the road, just to avoid scuffing off any speed. He was, totally, an ASedan guy in the making.
He was killed the first week in country. His name is on the wall and I think of him every year at this time. Not just at this time, of course.
I am sorry for all of the young men who will have these memories of the thousands of friends and brothers who are still dying in today's Vietnams.

wheel
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Jim,

Well said and well written. How very true.

- Charlie Richardson