Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Tom,
You are absolutely correct about the limited prep title. That might be a misnomer, designed to fall in line with the way other classes are defined in the rules. That being said, the whole idea was to combat the requirement that the newer cars would need to be gutted (driver train wise) to install old technology engines and drive lines.
My personal opinion was that this should have been the way the Gen IV and modern Mustangs were absorbed from the start. When I saw what was required to remove the drive train and install an old 305, in a 94 Firebird, I thought it was insane.
That was one of the key reasons that NASA was able to bring all those cars to their program.
I also agree that it is still the best class in affordable amateur racing, SCCA or otherwise.
wheel
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
CobraR05

nasa american iron is facing its own class evolution issues right now. american sedan decided to hold the line in the mid 90's and now AI is vexxed with the generational and technological changes of the mid 00's.

if scca and as can find a way to create a quality racing class for pony car racers for the S197 and current Camaro, they would be in an outstanding position.

the s197 hit the streets as an 05 model in 2004. Its 2011 now and these cars are so far not an easy fit into AS. That needs to be fixed.

i have an FR500c right now and I am not sure there's a scenario that brings me to AS. But i'd like to be there. it just seems that the better ford and ford racing are about their road racing product, the further away it is from the AS world.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraR05 View Post
if scca and as can find a way to create a quality racing class for pony car racers for the S197 and current Camaro, they would be in an outstanding position.

the s197 hit the streets as an 05 model in 2004. Its 2011 now and these cars are so far not an easy fit into AS. That needs to be fixed.
I'm not so sure there isn't equality with the current rule set. Unless you're looking to be competitive in an S197 with a production drivetrain. The entire class would have to disconnect at least 1 plug wire, if not 2, for that to even begin to happen. I mean an S197 does have a few championships to its credit, so I want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

I think (and thank) the ASAC for doing it as well as they have.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
CobraR05

the S197 that won the championships. Thats an S197 chassis with a 94 mustang gt under it. Right? 12" brakes, pushrod 302, carburator and all.

is 24 not the only one with such a frankenstang? i only ever see pictures of the one car.

If thats what you want for the class in ten years, thats fine. its your class.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Default Ford Racing

It seems like the aftermarket has flooded the Ford Racing catalog. Maybe Andy could get his combination of parts included in a turn key race car direct from Ford Racing? Whats one more combination when you have this many already?

And Tom, that new 5.0 302 S motor is stout. I've already heard how you can trick the dyno with that motor. Glad we don't have dyno rules.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/default.asp
Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
KW78

What kind of specs are we talking about for the FR500?

To be honest, I've lost interest with the fords modular motor, forward. It is the weight of a big block for christ's sake, with piss poor performance.

Now, there is rumbling about good power, and the 302 coming back - in what form? Its still a 4 cam modular huge motor. Its just marketing to call it a 5.0L to stir fond memories of a SBF.

These are my opinions, not anything to do with the ASAC's. But frankly, since the "rules season" BS has gutted the ability of the people in the class to effectively manage the class, which was part of the deal I signed up for, I think once again the class is vulnerable to poor growth on the topic of new vehicles.

This will be the first time I've floated this particular test balloon, but in my opinion, since the only tools left for active class adjustments by anyone other than the BOD are restrictors and weight, I think it is somewhat inevitable to get the SIR involved in the class.

Kyle
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraR05 View Post
is 24 not the only one with such a frankenstang? i only ever see pictures of the one car.
Jon Davies here in the NW has built and is running such a car. He is quite
fast in it. Here's a picture of it from last October at Oregon Raceway Park.

1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 PM
CobraR05

kyle

the FR500C has a 5L 4v engine. This is pre Boss 302. The car with factory shorty headers and a street muffler gets about 360hp to the wheels and 345tq. With some better racing exhaust they come up to 375/355.

car weighs in dry at around 3200. 6 speed t56. 355 gears. 14" brembos. 18x10 wheels.

the new coyote 5L is less hp than my 5L. the boss motor is about the same.

the fr500s is a t2 mustang 05-09 with a 6speed(od) trans and a wing and splitter. 275hp to the wheels.

new cars in AS? how do you make that happen?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM

There are actually several S197s around the country which are built like Andy's. I have one, Jason Von Kluge has one and understand that Tom Ellis is in the process of building one. My car is the virtual twin of Andy's, it is just that I am old and slow and he is a wild man!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Turn Key Multimatic GS Mustangs

I no that the cars that were built with a body in white for the Koni Challange -
Turn key cars -
were all seam welded and Would not be legal in A/S.
t