Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4wallace View Post
Sure. I think it was a Monza by then and it came with a 305 even...
Ooh!! Memories!!! I saw the factory supported Monza's run at Sebring in 1981 (1982?) all decked out with wide bodies and big wings (sexiest racecar I ever saw), along the Team Stratagraph (sp?) Camaros. I later saw the Roush Motorcraft Capri's and I was hooked! It was those cars that planted the seed in my head to road race one day.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Walther; 01-31-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
KW78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther View Post
I later saw the Roush Motorcraft Capri's and I was hooked! It was those cars that planted the seed in my head to road race one day.
I never saw these... what were they like? Anyone have any pics?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Kyle,
Here's a couple of them. One driven by Lynn St. James, one by Tom Gloy.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...ury/Capri.html
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
ASGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsmith1 View Post
1970 AMC Javelin. Mark Donohue edition, all race carred up,
Red, White and Sunoco Blue. And maybe with a chevy engine
so that it wasn't such a time bomb :-).

Course you'd have to find a reliable source for body parts,
and that might be interesting.
Just a side note for those of you who did not know........T1's own (my buddy), Lance Knupp had a pretty cool father that had a pretty cool job. His dad was an engineer at AMC during the Donahue years and worked on the race program for Trans AM as well as raced himself in SCCA. From what I read, he was really good! Not hard to believe after seeing his son Lance drive.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGTO View Post
Just a side note for those of you who did not know........T1's own (my buddy), Lance Knupp had a pretty cool father that had a pretty cool job. His dad was an engineer at AMC during the Donahue years and worked on the race program for Trans AM as well as raced himself in SCCA. From what I read, he was really good! Not hard to believe after seeing his son Lance drive.
Very cool. My first car was a 1970 javelin, 304, 3 speed. I loved what they
looked like set up in trans-am racing form. Being a high schooler's car, mine
was, of course, a POS.

Also, Jon Davies (red new mustang) grandfather was an AMC dealer in
San Diego (I think he said). His AS car has a license plate frame on it
from that dealership. I thought that was pretty cool when I noticed it
when we were racing and pitted together last October.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
CobraR05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
It seems that most of those guys were talk and not action, as only a very few cars have come out to run as limited prep.

wheel
I think that is reflection of the rules that governed that invitation. At least consider the possibility.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM

What part of the rules, other than your car was not a T2 car?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
CobraR05

its not about me, wheel. i tried and in the end it didnt make sense for me.

i am just saying that the failure to attract entries in limited prep is more involved than just all talk and no walk potential participants.

maybe the invitation needs to be a little more inviting. thats all i am saying. I would think that it would make a lot of sense to work on making NASA American Iron cars AS legal. There are a lot of race cars out there racing in the same lap time bracket that can't race in AS.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Rob,
I see your point, and agree with you. One thing we really don't do very well is advertise our sport, or our class. The CRB had a recent discussion about how to invite folks to ask for a class where they can race whatever car they are interested in. If you look at the spec lines and don't see your car, you can be easily discouraged. If you even know where to find a spec line, or what it means.
Chris Brannon moved his car over mainly because he knows all of the Midiv AS guys and we encouraged him to come an play. If he was in a division with very few AS cars, I doubt he would have made the considerable effort.
We are going to work on that whole problem at the convention next week. (Among about 50+ other problems).

wheel
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Just to be a smartass here, AS has always been a limited prep class. Where did all the cars come from when the class came back to life in the 90s? Cars came from SSGT, Firehawk or a few were ground-ups. Almost all of the original cars were conversions. That might make Chris the 706th to go limited prep.

On a serious note, what classes outside of where Mazda or the SCCA (spec classes) is involved are properly promoted? From a benchmarking perspective, has anyone really looked at how NASA does it? We've talked about going to a weekend and just never did it b/c we're committed and really enjoy the AS class and the people that race in it.

Still the best class in SCCA.