Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM
KW78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
Ted is the guy to go to. ... I have also told him that he is free to share any and all of my information, as to piston s... etc.
wheel
So Ted, is that a 350 under Wheels hood? is it 4.030 piston or more like a stroker w. 3.4 pistons... thin ring? Coated? unobtanium? Popup? Asymetric flame front propigation swirl machining? Inquiring minds want to know....

Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Kyle,
Yes, to all the above. Of course, I was talking about caliper and m.c. Pistons
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW78 View Post
So Ted, is that a 350 under Wheels hood? is it 4.030 piston or more like a stroker w. 3.4 pistons... thin ring? Coated? unobtanium? Popup? Asymetric flame front propigation swirl machining? Inquiring minds want to know....

No he went all out with a 3/4 race cam.

I guess its sort of a 350... The left bank adds up to 350 ci so I assume the right side is balanced the same way. Is that bad?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 AM
fairlane_68

Damn...who spiked Kyle's coffee?

Walther, or Ted, do they have a "race" kit that uses the E-brake? I'm kinda partial to keeping it, required or not.

This is the kit I'm referencing:

Or am I looking at the wrong kit?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_68 View Post
Damn...who spiked Kyle's coffee?

Walther, or Ted, do they have a "race" kit that uses the E-brake? I'm kinda partial to keeping it, required or not.

This is the kit I'm referencing:

Or am I looking at the wrong kit?

Not that I'm aware of. I really wouldn't recommend using those calipers for a race application.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM

Talking

Not sure what you have in mind, but I can't think of any reason to keep a parking brake on a race car. Especially since the pad compounds we have to use don't have a whole bunch of friction when they are stone cold, that alone makes the parking brake pretty much useless.

Take a look at the wilwood recommendations for their drilled rotors, they say NOT to use them in race applications, due to cracking around the holes. They might be OK in the rear, since they don't get as much heat, or get shocked (like braking for turn 1 at Daytona, or the hairpin at Sebring) like the fronts do, but they are more expensive and not necessary. I run slotted rotors on the front, and plain on the back.

So extra weight, complexity (cables and linkages), possible cracking, as well as using "stock" type calipers = perhaps not the best choice for an all out race car.

Just my humble opinion

Andy
Old 10-30-2010, 01:21 PM

If your wanting to go drifting, theres some interesting duel rear caliper setups. One for a handbrake so they can kick the rear of the car out for what they do. Wilwood has a very tiny spot caliper that you could mount on the opposite side of the rear rotor to use as a parking brake and you would have a race caliper on the opposite side. Just extra weight to carry on a race car but something is available if you want me to check it out for you I will.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW78 View Post

Kyle,

Wheeler has no secrets. Its all for sale. Check out the whole product line. He builds the horsepower,

http://www.wheelerpowerproducts.com/...ce-crates.aspx

I deliver the stopping power..

Step right up and get your parts right here. We got what you need
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
If your wanting to go drifting.....
I have an easier solution. Just tear your panhard bar mount out of your frame while Andy Wilkin is chasing you around Sebring.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that engine except for maybe the belt driven vacuum pump. (Or possibly hood clearence)
http://www.wheelerpowerproducts.com/...ce-crates.aspx