Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM

Exclamation No More Goodyear GSCS?

All --

Just got word that Goodyear will no longer make the GSCS, that they make make an RS, but nothing for 2007.

Has anyone else got any info on this? Anything about what an RS will be?

So what are all you Goodyear fans planning on going to? Hoosier? Kumho?

I'm looking for comments pro and con on tires that people will be going to.

Thanks!

Pam Richardson
AS #15
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamRichardson
All --

Just got word that Goodyear will no longer make the GSCS, that they make make an RS, but nothing for 2007.

Has anyone else got any info on this? Anything about what an RS will be?

So what are all you Goodyear fans planning on going to? Hoosier? Kumho?

I'm looking for comments pro and con on tires that people will be going to.

Thanks!

Pam Richardson
AS #15
Pam,

Who did you talk to about this? Let's not go pushing the Panic Easy Button just yet. There has been NO OFFICIAL DECISION on this. True, the GS-CS is not in the 07 catalog. Printing a catalog takes time, so I'm guessing the decision was made to not include that tire when it went to press. That is common place in the catalog industry.

Goodyear has been planning all along to evolve to an RS that AS could use. We've been hearing this for at least 2 years. That is not news.

Simply put, Goodyear is evaluating their product line and trying to be more efficient with what they're offering as a whole. IF the RS is the tire for 07, that's good news since one of the benefits to the RS is a soft/cold weather (READ:AutoX) compound (if available). If we have to wait yet another year, then we'll have GS-CS to run and that tire is still very competitive in it's current state.

But unless you have a super solid mole, there has been NO DECISION ON THE PART OF GOODYEAR TO STOP SUPPLYING A TIRE FOR AS.

Everyone take a breath on this. Yes, there might be a supply problem, and you should be prepared for that in whatever way you see fit. But until GOODYEAR makes an announcement, then all we're doing is spreading rumor.

TW
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Tom:

Bob Shaffer at Goodyear has stated that they are not going to supply tires for us this year. Of course they can change their minds but I would be working on an alternative solution because the longer that this goes with them saying they are not going to produce these tires the greater the chance is that they are not going to ever produce them.

See the email that I sent you.

Philip
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 AM

The sky is falling, but fortunately, HOOSIER is still there for us.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpr
Tom:

Bob Shaffer at Goodyear has stated that they are not going to supply tires for us this year. Of course they can change their minds but I would be working on an alternative solution because the longer that this goes with them saying they are not going to produce these tires the greater the chance is that they are not going to ever produce them.

See the email that I sent you.

Philip
Thanks -- I read what you sent. I'll do some more digging to ensure it means NO TIRES. It could mean that, or it could mean no $$$ support. Let's figure out which. My hunch is that program support and $$$ contigency are on hold for 07 but you can still buy tires.

But if you're on GY, you might want to have a Plan B just in case.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4wallace
Pam,

Who did you talk to about this?

TW
Tom -

For clarification....

I told Pam about my telephone conversation yesterday with Competition Tire East. Now that the Goodyear strike is over, I called them to order a set of GS-CS tires for my son, Danny, as a Christmas present for the spring races. Comp Tire East told me that GY had no plans to make any D.O.T. race tires this year due to these tires' high manufacturing costs. He told me "maybe" there would be some "RS" tires available in late 2007, but no decision had been made on that yet.

Needless to say, I could not order any AS tires from them. I would recommend anyone who is interested contact your regional Comp Tire distributor for more details.

- Charlie Richardson
(old AS guy 1992-1996)
Old 01-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Quick Update

I have just spoken with Bob Shaffer. Stay patient for a little bit, and I'll have an "official" update to post outlining the most current status of what Goodyear's participation in AS will be for 2007.

This is my opinion: if you are a GY person, then you should have already known there are no new AS tires unless they've been hoarded. There is no immediate plans to produce any new GS-CS tires. So, you'll have to "do what you have to do" for tires in the short run.

Again, stay tuned for something official from Bob.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieR
Tom -

For clarification....

I told Pam about my telephone conversation yesterday with Competition Tire East. Now that the Goodyear strike is over, I called them to order a set of GS-CS tires for my son, Danny, as a Christmas present for the spring races. Comp Tire East told me that GY had no plans to make any D.O.T. race tires this year due to these tires' high manufacturing costs. He told me "maybe" there would be some "RS" tires available in late 2007, but no decision had been made on that yet.

Needless to say, I could not order any AS tires from them. I would recommend anyone who is interested contact your regional Comp Tire distributor for more details.

- Charlie Richardson
(old AS guy 1992-1996)
Hey Charlie. Thanks for telling us what you know.

And welcome to the site.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:32 PM
tellis#51sediv

Default No Goodyears

Tom / Pam,
That is the same thing Mike Lavigne was told while we were at Homestead. No more Goodyears for AS. We of course heard it first from Hoosier that evening at the cookout and then verified the next day with Goodyear. Let me know if you hear different.

thanks

Tom E
Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Again, I'll have an "official" post from Bob Shaffer once he approves what current the Goodyear position is.

To me, the lack of news/official announcement is a sign that there is still a lot of effort internally at GY for a solution allowing them to stay in the DOT game. Bob's willingness to tell us what's really going on (as much as he can) is a testament to his personal commitment to the DOT grassroots racing. But there is only so many pieces to the pie.

And all this could all change again in a matter of months. But if you're being told there are no AS GS-CS tires to be had from your GY contact person, they are telling the truth as it stands today.

Something to remember: Goodyear is wrestling with a decision as it applies to their ENTIRE DOT racing program, not just AS. The DOT program is separate from the GY racing slick side of the store. So we can not apply what we hear to either side. Don't be confused.

So if you're running a GT program on race slicks, there will be tires.

Stay tuned.