Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Rule changes for AS?

I heard from a long time steward that AS will go to "hard" tires next year and not allow the softs. Is this true? Also curious what other rule changes are coming next year as the recent bulletins mentioned the class was being looked at not to submit any questions right now. When will this come out? I'm finishing up a new RP build and don't wanna buy any more parts til I know.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:51 PM

The subject of tires came up when the ASedan racers met with the CRB at the Runoffs. Before I left the CRB, the ASAC recommended a tire rule that basically outlawed the "A" compound tires. The rule went out for member input, which was strongly in support of the rule. It then went to the BoD and was approved. The BoD asked for changes in the time-line for implementation. The ASAC and CRB made those changes and re-presented it to the BoD. In the meantime, a couple of new BoD members ambushed us and knocked down the rule. Almost immediately after that, the ASAC was reconstituted and I retired from the CRB.
Given all that, the "hard" tire rule has not gone away and the new ASAC will be discussing it. If they come up with a new rule, (or bring back the earlier proposal) it will have to go out for member input. I don't see anything possibly happening until 2021, if they go by the normal processes.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 10-19-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:48 PM

They keep putting themselves in the same situation, it would be easier to announce it now for 2021. Trying to let people use up the soft compound tires at the beginning of the season just doesn't work.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM

Tim, That would be the way to do it. There would be time to get member input before the end of the year. Then let everyone use up their "A" tires next season and start fresh in 2021.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Allowing the correct rim sizes for the tires would be a large help in tire wear as well.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mcdermid View Post
Allowing the correct rim sizes for the tires would be a large help in tire wear as well.
Says mister I ran my tires off at VIR. Seriously, instead of a rim width restriction should it be a tire width restriction? We keep shoving these 275s on an 8" rim where the recommended rim width is 8.5" to 10" for the 16" tires and 9" to 11" for the 17" tires.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Sorry if I offended .
"Mr I ran my tires off at VIR", has talked to Hoosier and Goodyear and the both say installing the tires on wheels to narrow for the tire size reduces tire life. I agree completely with getting a tire rule in AS ! Having the correct wheel sizes will help them last longer.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:23 PM

I agree with Andy. If you are going to go to a "R" tire rule, you should also consider making the wheel rim rules match the available tires. Why go half ass on something like this. I'm a racer with seven sets of 16x8 wheels, and I probably won't change at my stage, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered for the future of the class. Maybe add a weight penalty for wider wheels.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Wider wheels

From a systems engineering perspective, I offer these thoughts.

Wider wheels COULD obsolete the Fox Body, the 3rd Gen, the 4th Gen, and all SN Mustangs, as with the rest of the current rules, they can't fit the wider wheels under the fenders. So, maybe you offer fender flares... Wider wheels will be harder on stock spindles and our small bearings. So do you include aftermarket spindles? When will the community arise over the costs of the changes, probably pretty quick.

We've been given the same guidance on wider wheels from Hoosier as well, so I know that is a fact. There are ways to be fast with the wheel/tire combination we have. I know we didn't get to run the race, but, we have been dealing with tire management processes since they repaved the Glen about 4-5 years ago, I believe.

As with everything else in AS, the fun is in figuring that out....

Pam
Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 PM

If they limit the tire width rather than the wheel width, everything should still fit with proper offsets. I don't think this class should get into flares.
I'd agree with allowing wider wheels as well, mainly because there are almost no wheels on the market for my 02 Camaro. 17x9 is the max but there is only one wheel you can buy in that size unless you buy custom drilled and that's too pricey for me. There's tons of 17x9.5.