Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Move AS out of GT Class

Calling all American Sedan drivers, fans, and friends!!!
The movement has begun to transfer American Sedan out of the GT1,2,3, and T1 group into the medium bore group. I have voiced my opinion and seen support both on the forums, FB and at the track. Please Please Please if you want this change take two minutes and write a quick email to dflanagan@scca.com and eprill@scca.com. Put both email addresses in the To list and provide the following information:
Name:
Racing Class:
"Please move American Sedan to the Medium Bore Group"

Thank You for your support!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM

I know most racers would prefer to be in the fast class within a slow group, but I don't think AS in the small bore group (as currently configured) is a good idea.

First, EP times are very close to AS lap times, but we get there in different ways. I think there is the potential that we would get tangled up a lot with EP cars.

Second, the small bore group is usually larger than the big bore group, so my guess is the Club would be hesitant to make this more lop sided.

I have my battle scars being roughed up by GT1-2 cars passing me, but hand to hand combat with a bunch of EP cars sounds worse.

AS is difficult to group because of our fast straight speed and relatively slower cornering speed.

As a suggestion, if EP went to the big bore group and AS to the small bore group that would work IMO. Should even out the group numbers a bit too.

PS, anybody coming down to NOLA for an easy AS Super Majors win. I've heard that Himes guy is slow.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Medium bore DOT tires, T2, T3 etc. Not Prod

T2 is actually faster than AS.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Agree that T2 is faster than AS, but in the Southern Conf T2 currently runs with T1, AS, and GT1-2 in the big bore group.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM

And therein lies some of the issue. Each conference is different based on car counts. Cendiv, we run with GT. NE with GT, but in Cendiv, depending on the race and the track, we have also had T2 in the mix, and been down in the T2/T3 group.

I'm not sure that anything more concrete than " Try to put AS with the other DOT cars when feasible" is ever going to happen.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:04 PM

I agree with trying to separate DOT from non DOT race tires.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:52 PM

I can tolerate running with the GT guys, but I absolutely hate running with EP. At many tracks they run the exact same lap times. As Tom pointed out we make the same lap times in totally different ways. Five AS cars, mixed in with five EP cars, coming to turn 1, is almost always a disaster. The racing really suffers, even if you have a split start.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM

I like things as they are now.
The overall experience level feels stronger. with the Big Cars.

And its more rewarding to finish first overall. Every so often.

Against a group of Trans-Am cars. With twice the tire and engine ( and budget).