Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
It was not a sad day for ASedan. It was a sad day for one troubled individual. It was a wonderful week. Despite my mechanical problem that showed up on the grid, I had a great time. Special thanks to Philip and Ellen Smith, and Pam Richardson, for the excellent ASedan party. Superb food, wine and beer and lots of ASedan racers and crew members. One of the highlights of the week. Lots of drama on the track and in the courts, but Tech was flawless.
Thanks Jim, as usual your insight is spot on!

And thank you for all you do all year. Behind the scenes. To keep racing FUN
Old 09-26-2016, 02:34 PM

Folks,

I just sent a letter to the BOD, requesting Tom's permanent removal from the club.

The stopping on track, backing up on track to a position where the previous corner can be seen, and the 90ish second period of time he sat, in the middle of the track, waiting for Andy as cars went by in the narrow opening he left tell me that this was not an accident, or a moment of loss of control, or an unthinking reaction in the heat of the moment.

It was a pre meditated action.

As much as I admire Tom's ability to drive, as much bad blood exists between Tom and Andy, or Tom and others, none of that excuses the on track equivalent of picking up a tire iron and starting to swing.

I do not want him driving with me.

I suggest anyone else that feels this way should also submit a letter. Bod@scca.com

Scott
Old 09-26-2016, 03:08 PM
86notch

I just sent my letter in as well. I'm okay with racing and rubbing fenders but using you're car as a weapon is a different story.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:06 PM
86notch

I saw Tom this weekend at a regional at summit, he was crewing for a new member of Asedan. He made an effort to come see me before leaving and After seeing Tom's in car video it definitely helped clarify some of the on track incidents. In my opinion it is not quite as cut and dry as what most of us were hearing post race... I am doing what I can to get the video clip up of Tom's car as to let everyone make their own opinions and I'm thankful that I'm not one of the people having to make the decision, definitely not a malicious for 40 minutes straight as it seemed...
Old 10-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Tom passed me, and the cars in front of me cleanly. The drive back to the front of the field isn't my issue. Yes he had some contact, but that isn't necessarily his "fault".

My issue is, and always will be the deliberate stop, backup and wait.

When I watch my in car, Tom had just stopped at the top of the hill, drivers right, almost all the way over.

When I come around on the next lap, he is in the wall at the bottom of the hill.

The spectator video doesn't lie, in between those two locations he backed down the hill, steering so that he could see the corner in his mirror, and then took off and rammed.

That is deliberate and pre meditated.

The "it was an accident, my tie rod was broken" is a lie, in an attempt to mitigate his actions. If it had been broken, he would not have made it down the straight, around turn 4, up the hill, then back down the hill.

If it was an accident, there would have been brake lights. No brake lights.

That is the basis for my letter. Everything else is just spin.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 AM

While i do not agree with what happened at the end of the race or know what happened in the beginning. I will say that when Tom came back through the field we had at least one lap of hard racing. It was clean between us and there was no paint swapped. Tom gave me plenty of room.

This in no way justifies or defends his actions at the end of the race. Just that he was clean around me.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86notch View Post
I saw Tom this weekend at a regional at summit, he was crewing for a new member of Asedan. He made an effort to come see me before leaving and After seeing Tom's in car video it definitely helped clarify some of the on track incidents. In my opinion it is not quite as cut and dry as what most of us were hearing post race... I am doing what I can to get the video clip up of Tom's car as to let everyone make their own opinions and I'm thankful that I'm not one of the people having to make the decision, definitely not a malicious for 40 minutes straight as it seemed...

Does anybody have video of the alleged contact between Andy and Tom? If so is it posted? It would be relevent to this thead to be able to make an informed decision. I no longer race but can certainly understand the frustration of dealing with SCCA officials, especially at the "Runoffs", where there is always so much to regulate and so many regulators to deal with.

Michael Besselman
Old 10-04-2016, 02:24 PM

It would be interesting to see but would have absolutely nothing to do with the last lap actions. If Andy chopped Tom, blocked him or checked up on him that would have been an un-sportsman like move. (if any of that happened). Stopping on the track waiting to ambush another driver with the intent to do harm is totally different no matter what the frustration level. If your wife burns the meat loaf you aren't justified to kill her later in the evening.

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM

The incident is getting great coverage. Also includes the video for those that have not seen it.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...mustang-100116
Old 10-05-2016, 01:21 PM

interesting that Fox sports got the details wrong. They report that Andy's move from 3rd to second on the start is what pushed Tom down to 19th.....

I'm interested to re-watch when the videos are archived. I watched it live on line so I only got one look at the turn 6 incident. From where I was sitting (looking at my laptop) it certainly didn't appear to be one driver having position and trying to make a clean pass and the other driver chopping them causing contact. This was 2 corners after the start so there was zero separation of the top 10 (except for Ed). Cars were everywhere and working to get the race sorted for position. Much of the grid was still 2 wide at that point.

Looking forward to the replay,