Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Sloe got bounced for carb (short boosters I understand) Mike got it for valves just a bit too big. John H was Legal. Andy was legal. I was bounced for boosters (same carb that passed tech in 2010). The last I heard, Wheel was in impound and I presumed legal.
I ha d a fellow competitor hit me in the rear wheel door and front fender during my first hot lap in Q2 and destroyed any chance of me getting the car back to the performance I work for all season. The officials should have thrown this competitor out as he does not have enough experience to run a car of this speed. The SCCA gave him probation for this race and the next six. This same driver lost control under braking in turn 8 during the race and turned into the same side of my car, bending the front steering and the wheels. I will not say who he is, but many AS drivers reported him to the stewards. I have had this car for 6 years and have not touched another car in that time.
I was impressed that we did not have a full course caution. I believe over half the field fell out of the race at some point. I am sure Sloe will appeal his DQ. Funny if he wins the appeal, that would mean I would win mine. To tell you the true, I do not want my name associated with the 50th running of the SCCA.
So this will probably be my last race in AS, and maybe my last with SCCA. I have never seen so much bad driving in my life (in ALL classes). They must have destroyed over 80 cars his week, 30 totals before the race even started.
The high point were seeing Scott Sandra back on the track and seeing Tom Ellis finally make it to the track. I had a great few laps with John H and a battle with a broke and bent race car with Wheel. I was impressed how well Danny Richardson ran and got to spend some time with Andy M and Chris P to do some old style bench racing. Otherwise my week at the 50th was total hell.
All that being said, I hope other post there personnel stories that are happier than mine.
In the next few weeks, I will be posting a for sale for all my AS cars and parts and will be moving on to some other form of racing, I do not see some of the upcoming rule proposals and being good for the class as a whole. If I donít sell the car, I can just wait a few years and go vintage racing.

Jeff Car #46
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Yes , So True Jeff

Id love to say something, but between Wheeler ;Andy;Toms Jer and the rest that have been around 20 years,
Yea there was a big fields,at MO, were speeds were lower and learning the track took years , just like RA, RA just hurts more things,

Loving Daytona, learn it from the stands, ...
Well Hope all at RA came home learning something,all in a good way.
That place sure does takes away more than it gives,

Joe T
Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM

Joe....

I couldn't agree more!

Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Where is the booster length published? I guess we all should check our boosters.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM

Revised final results have been posted at:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ed%20final.pdf

Sorry to hear about the damaged cars. It was nice to see 36 AS cars start anyway, and congratulations to all that made the start. I know from past personal experience how much effort that is required just to take that green flag.

Next year at Laguna Seca will be a challenge to get to those numbers. Then an exciting trip to Daytona in 2015, and then maybe VIR ??!! (Just a hope).

-Charlie Richardson
Old 09-21-2013, 11:04 PM

There is no published length. Its those 4 round things in the middle of the bore hloes. for the people who do not know what they are:

http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...Path=65_87_221

The tech folks took a STOCK holley carb and BLP measureing tools to measure everyones carbs.

One of the very sad things about SCCA is they wait till the biggest race of the year to look at anythihng on our cars. I ran and won 6 races this year. NO inspections of ANYTHING at ANY track, No open hoods, carb checks, fuel sampleing...NOTHING.

They were more concerned with Major's victory celebratiing than actually making sure everyone is compliant.

At one last rant. The tech guy came up to the car while on the grid at the five minutes signal and said he was going to put in a Data box in my car. I told him to hit the road and I would drive off the grid before I would let him do that.

SCCA is a club in trouble.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sanda View Post
Car 74: GCR 9.1.6.D.1.d.c.i.b

Car 42: GCR 9.1.6.D.1.d, 9.1.6.D.i.k.l.g

I can't find c.i.b, nor can I find all of car 42's stuff.

Someone more versed in the way of the GCR needs to decipher that.

Scott
Looks like a Steward scribbled notes on a greasy napkin to hand to Timing&Scoring.

Carb venturis are listed under:
9.1.6.D.1.c.1.b instead of "9.1.6.D.1.d.c.i.b"

9.1.6.D.1.d is exhaust emissions:
...If EGR devices/nozzles are removed from a cylinder
head or manifold, any holes remaining shall be
completely plugged.

And guessing that "9.1.6.D.i.k.l.g" is also the result of poor penmanship, I'd say 9.1.6.D.1.k.1.g was intended: cylinder port matching.

You'd think that the official results sheets would be accurate.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Jeff:

You have a tough week. I can't imagine how mad I would be if someone plowed into me in qualifying and broke my hatch. I would have lost my mind. I agree there where a huge number of cars that where crashed early in the week not sure if it is any worse as a precentage to any other group. Lot's of guys and gals trying to go fast that are not familar with the track so they do not know when their car is in a really bad place.

My race was a series of driver erros and a car that got 3 seconds slower. I figured out the issue after spending some time with Ed but I could not believe how hard the car got to drive. I keep learning the lesson of my no changes in parts during the week without being able to extensively test them.

Based on my understanding of tech they did a great job. I have done work with the BLP boys and they know how to tell if a carb is legal. The class needs more of this stuff. BTW there gauges are all over the Holly spec to give the tech inspector the benefit of the doubt. If the gauge goes you have a problem.

I had some great wheel to wheel racing with Dan Richardson amoung others. Have some great video of Jim Wheeler almost buying a new race car in the kink.

Congrats to all on the podium.

Time to start planning on how to get to Laguna next year. I can't wait.

Philip
Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 AM
AS_74

Default Thanks Jeff!

Now we know why they wouldn't allow me to watch the process or see the tooling. According to you Jeff, the measuring devices that SCCA used were manufactured by BLP, which is the company that supplied the carburetor to Hutter Racing Engines.

SCCA destroyed the boosters by forcing the gauges over the outside diameter of the booster.

Pictures to follow...

Also Jeff, can you verify what I saw? Out of the three carbs on the table, mine and the SCCA carb had the same part numbered boosters. The third (the winner) carb boosters did not match SCCA's carb. In other words it had different/wrong boosters.

Let me know, Thanks!

Tom
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM
AS_74

Default Thanks Jeff!

Now we know why they wouldn't allow me to watch the process or see the tooling. According to you Jeff, the measuring devices that SCCA used were manufactured by BLP, which is the company that supplied the carburetor to Hutter Racing Engines.

SCCA destroyed the boosters by forcing the gauges over the outside diameter of the booster.

Pictures to follow...

Also Jeff, can you verify what I saw? Out of the three carbs on the table, mine and the SCCA carb had the same part numbered boosters. The third (the winner) carb boosters did not match SCCA's carb. In other words it had different/wrong boosters.

Let me know, Thanks!

Tom