Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Spec Mustang in December Prelims

Anyone have any more details on this? Are these cross overs from SI (Spec Iron) NASA is rolling out? Is SCCA going to start having Dynos at the track? Looks like 10 drivers scored point in SFR in 2013.

I found the rules here:
http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2013/R...ustangrev2.pdf
#28 Mustang GLDiv
Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Spec Mustang

Scott --

Since the ASAC has done the research on this group, quite simply, they have never been involved with NASA, they are an SFRegion regional SCCA class (and always have been, and they asked Topeka if they could be put into a Majors class for 2014. There are currently 12 of them, 3 more in build, and they feel their class is really neat and may someday, with cars across the country, have enough cars to have their own Majors class.

Their rules are pretty clear, their cars must adhere to those rules, and to run in AS, they will be disconnecting their ABS. We will allow them to put in a proportioning valve. They race with their rules as a subset of AS. They can't use any of our standard AS rules for their cars. They run the 4.6 L V8 that came in the 2006-2009 Mustang GT.

I highly recommend everyone read their rules and understand what they are.

Pam
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM

Pam,

Thanks for the quick response, I was just curious because the rules called out a specific whp and tq number as an upper limit which I have never seen in an SCCA class ruleset before.

At the end of the day it is just another group of people that figured out a way to have fun with a pony car so I say the more the merrier.

From the ruleset:

j) Engine:
(1) No modifications to the engine are allowed except where specifically authorized
within these rules. RACE-BUILT ENGINES ARE NOT ALLOWED. All engines will
be as built and delivered by Ford Motor Company.
(2) Cars in this class are to run stock 4.6 liter engines from 2005-2009 cars at no
more than 315 rear wheel horsepower, and 325 ft lbs of torque. Updating or
backdating of entire engine long block is allowed.
(3) Dyno testing may be required if it appears than an engine in a competing car
has an edge in power. Determination of any potential power advantage will be
made by SCCA stewards. Test to be done at owner’s expense by dyno shop
approved by the SCCA.
(4) Engine is to be unmodified internally. No balancing or blueprinting is allowed
#28 Mustang GLDiv
Old 11-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Keep in mind, these are allowed a fixed rear wing, which none of us have, a StopTech front brake kit, which no Limited Prep car is allowed, and 18x10.5 wheels!!!

That is a lot more rubber on the road, with extra downforce. In the past we did not let the EX-Miller school cars in the class, but this is doing that PLUS some, as they have bigger brakes an wheels in this class. Please read ALL the rules. They are available here:

http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2013/R...ustangrev2.pdf

I'm all for more people in the class, but this does not define what AS is and has always been. This is more of an ST type of car.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM

If STO was still in existence, this car might go there. It would not be competitive, but…..
As with any new addition, the CRB and the ASAC will monitor the lap times and available data and can make adjustments at any time.
wheel
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Really????

So is this what SCCA and the ASAC is all about??
In this case apparently the GCR has been thrown out the window.
This is a huge slap in the face to all AS competitor west of the Rockies. (at least)
The class was created this year. Contrary to comments made by Pam, participation is Not what has been stated! Car count has averaged 4.8 for 5 races. Only 10 drivers acquired points for the entire year!---Not what has been stated. The only thing these cars have in common with A/S is that they are V8 RWD Mustangs.
The Facts---These cars have larger brakes,tires than almost all the limited prep cars and all of the full prep cars. The engines are Not stock, (they have of course been blueprinted) there has been no post race mechanical tech inspection of any of these cars. The aero package is like Grand Am Cars.
A couple of years ago the ASAC refused to allow these cars (FR500S) into A/S--when they were slower---Now they are given the keys to the class with bigger tires, brakes, better suspension, and more power.
Jim-you mention they will be monitored---well in the configuration they have been allowed into the class they are 2 seconds ((Yes 2 Seconds! ) faster than the fastest west coast A/S car (Aaron) This means you have let into the class a car that obsoletes every existing limited prep car in A/S and most all full prep cars.
Here are the numbers--
Thunderhill--A/S qual record--Aaron Bailey--2.02.7
(configuration as car ran runoffs last year

SMG (Spec Mustang)--2.00.3 (several times this year)

Laguna Seca--A/S qual record-----1.42.6 (old)--
(Our testing shows low 1.42)
SMG (Spec Mustang)--1.39.9 (again several times)

Sears Point (Infineon-Sonoma) A/S 1.51.2 (old)
testing shows maybe mid 1.50.5's
SMG (Spec Mustang)--1.49.4 (again several times)

The point---whatever the ASAC and the CRB were told about these cars is not true---or the ASAC and the CRB don't care about rule books, class philosophy, or for that matter, any of the existing A/S racers who have spent years, dollars, thousands of hours keeping up with rules changes, " paying their dues" in A/S and building to the rules in the GCR .

When we (Aaron and I) converted our T2 car into A/S in 2007 we were told on this forum you can't come into this class and be immediately competitive--period. We persisted, developed the car, driver, (without nothing more than 100 lbs removed) into a top 5 or 10 National car.
Now that the runoffs are not 2300 miles away ASAC allows in cars that are proven 2 seconds a lap faster.

No-- "what do you think", member input, or for that matter even looking at lap times or participation!

I am truly disgusted!

I do understand that most of you that read this forum could feel this has no real bearing on your racing or future runoffs, as they will leave the west coast, but, with these rules on the books those that have just built or are building limited prep mustangs just had your cars made obsolete.

Also there is nothing to stop anyone from building a cars back east and making Pam's/Danny's car, or Jims or even andy's obsolete. It is pretty hard to compete against an 18X10.5 wheel and tire with a 16X8 or 17X8 not to mention the larger Brembo Brakes.

This may be the end of A/S and the beginning of Spec Mustang----

Dean

Last edited by DBailey; 11-15-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM

The wheels are only .5 larger than mine and the biggest tire they can run is the same as mine. The HP is the same as what I made with a 50mm restrictor, but I'm going to a 54mm for 2014. At the Runoffs with a 50mm restrictor I was around 10mph slower than everyone else in the first speed trap. If I use 295 tires they are 75 pounds lighter than me. I would prefer my suspension over what they have, well I would love to get to put coil overs back on the rear. Stoptech's are nice, but my Brembo's are cheap. I would like to have a two piece rotor, but this past year I used only 3 sets of front rotors and my rears came with the car back in 2011.

Cheyne
Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
If STO was still in existence, this car might go there. It would not be competitive, but…..
As with any new addition, the CRB and the ASAC will monitor the lap times and available data and can make adjustments at any time.
wheel
Wheel,
Will you guys be monitoring the lap times and data from Regional Races? Since SFR is allowing this as a way to qualify for the runoffs, this is where these cars will be running...

And as with any new addition, they are supposed to come in UNDER the current competitive cars....what specs are those going off of?

-A
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne Daggett View Post
The HP is the same as what I made with a 50mm restrictor, but I'm going to a 54mm for 2014. Cheyne
Cheyne....they are not running with a restrictor. How will they be the same horsepower as your car WITH a restrictor?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBailey View Post
No-- "what do you think", member input, or for that matter even looking at lap times or participation!

I am truly disgusted!

This may be the end of A/S and the beginning of Spec Mustang----

Dean
Hey, Dean I know exactly were your coming from. Guess what, there are 6 Ex AS drivers that are in or moving to TA-2. We are all here at Daytona this weekend placing orders and learning about TA-2 setups. They were 6 guys that consistanly ran in the top 10 at the Runoffs and are so fed up with the rules and turning competitive cars into used cars. Come look at TA-2 Front running motor...$17K and it last several seasons. Oh, and no "SPEC" carbs.