Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Just a couple of questions?

1. How come the same people seem to have the similar but different problems with tech all the time?
2. How come others do not seem to have problems with tech ever?

I think that the carb go no go gauges are one of the best things happen to A/S. The gauges are designed to allow you to blue print the carb and have .02 to .04 of tolerance built in.
Tom if you where not allowed appeals why did the it take almost 24 hours for results to be published.

Jeff: If anyone modified the gauges as you are suggesting I think that they would have had to add material on them. If they took material off then they would allow non compliant carbs through.

Tom:
BTW take the $10 bucks you owe me on our bet and get yourselve some legal boosters. Just order the right length and shape. No need to send me the money.

Face it. The gauges worked exactly like they where supposed to.

All the carb people know how to get HP out of carbs in an non compliant fashion. They also know what to do to make a legal carb.

Philip
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
AS_74

Hey asfan,
I did not say any such thing. Statements like this is the very reason I took a witness with me to all court sessions so the actual facts can be stated at a later date.
It's not my carb ,its supplied with the engine. Plus I am not a race carb tuner. Ron Hutter is and still had BLP build this carb. As I have already stated, I have never touched it accept for jet changes. What I told the court is, if you are allowed to align the boosters, and made it clear I never touched them, then you should be allowed to square anything you can align. That would make anything shorter. But based upon the pictures and damage to the boosters getting the tooling on and off they fit your gauges. Align goes to total squaring of what ever you are aligning. I made it clear that I did not touch anything except jets.
Hey asfan(rick h?)are we allowed to change air/fuel jets? Yes. Have you read the definition of jets? Does that describe the part in question? Actually it describes it better then a main jet, and is that why the winners carb, that was passed, had a different part number then the carb from my car and the carb provided from scca? As you know my part numbers and the scca carb was the same, the winners part number was different. Since I have a name and are not afraid to use it,I will sign this. Tom
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Default View from Mid pack

http://speedcasttv.com/scca/#/races

Replay of the raw footage from Friday is up. AS green is at 2:16 into the feed.

We had a great time and I was in the middle of a real tussle with 5 or 6 cars at one point. That was the exact race I was hoping to get into with this big of a field. I was amazed the car doesn't have a single mark on it for how wild it got a few times. Trans gave up the chase, blew up in 3rd gear and took all the others with it. Broke the most basic/important runoff rule and changed several things on the car the night before the race, but it turned out to be the best set up we had all week.

All in all it was an awesome week with family and friends. If you get a chance to race in the runoffs it really is an experience worth the effort.
#28 Mustang GLDiv
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Just got back from RA. It was, probably, my best racing experience in my 40 year checkered career. I did absolutely nothing to the car except put in gas and change tires - the whole week. Nothing. Didn't bleed the brakes. I did add two quarts of Red Line during the week. I didn't pull a spark plug or open the cap to the radiator. I didn't touch the hand cleaner until after the tear down in tech.
In Q 1 I flat spotted a tire almost to the cords on the first hot lap. Andy was having trans issues and he braked way early for turn 5. I was flat on it and stood on the brakes to keep from drilling him. I did three more laps and set my personal best RA lap on the last lap. The tire was locking up every time I braked hard, so I just came in with my 2:31.0. I didn't improve in the other dry session.
In the race, I didn't touch another car although I had multiple battles for the whole 13 laps. Jeff and I had a great dice and went side by side several times without touching. Good fun, Jeff.
I coached five drivers in the novice group on Sunday night and they all wanted to know about the kink. I told them about following Andy through there in the June Sprints a number of years ago. He just held it straight and never lifted. Describing to them flashed in my brain when I dropped four off into the mud puddle and wet grass. I just kept my foot down and aimed for the next apex way down the road. I was laughing in my helmet so hard I almost forgot that I would have muddy tires for Canada. Nobody made a pass on me.
I was surprised when they pulled me over in the hot pits. I told the worker that I hadn't hit anyone or witnessed any of the several incidents. She said I was in the line for Impound. Yay!! 6th place. I was very pleased with that result. They closed down the tech shed at 7 and we moved our cars into the barn for the night. I had to move mine back outside in the morning, where it sat all by itself.
Andy was 4th and they kept his car in the shed to start the teardown after Tom's carb was deemed non compliant. Jeff was 5th and they kept his car, since Mike's car whistled at too high on compression.
Eventually, I had to bring my car in and start the teardown when Jeff's carb failed. Thanks, so much, to Danny and Pam, who delayed their departure to become my only crew and help me with the process. Danny worked under the car to remove and then replace the trans, while I worked on the engine stuff. I now owe Danny, I think about 20. It was down to owing him about 10 when I gave him my spare clutch master cylinder to cure their clutch problems.
The bottom line - six carbs went into the tech trailer and four of them were compliant. Two of them had modified boosters. Both failed the go-no go gauge and one had the outside, which is normally straight, machined in a radius. As one person said, Mister Magoo could see that they were not the same as the comparison carb or the other four compliant carbs. The boosters were confiscated by SCCA, as they do with all non-compliant parts. The parts were viewed by two members of the CRB, Tony Ave and Peter Keane, as part of the process, since Tom appealed Tech's decision. In all of this, I stayed with my car and kept totally out of it. Due to Tom's appeals, we were not released from Tech until about 26 hours after the finish. Congrats to John Heinricy for his umpteenth Championship and to all the rest of the racers who finished. We had a 36 car field and we went 13 laps without a double yellow. Who would have taken a bet on that? Podium of Heinricy, McDermid and Wheeler. I like the sound of that. Of course, I liked 6th place, too and would have been perfectly content to leave RA with that trophy. We have 18 Runoffs wins between us.
wheel

Last edited by jimwheeler; 09-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Jeff,

You know I love you, and I respect the hell out of you and your driving, but you were way way out of line in your post to Pam, on an open public forum.

Frankly, you were an ass, and while I understand your frustrations with the protest results (not getting into impound tech here), that's no reason show your ass and blast someone who had nothing at all to do with your issues.

I'm sorry you got wrecked, I'm doubly sorry you put in a great drive just to lose it in impound, and I really hope you keep racing AS.

My letter supporting lexan is going in this week, I hope all the rest of you send one in as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:40 PM

P.S.
According to several people who know more about carbs than I do, you can gain good H.P. by modifying the Booster. It is a pretty common speed trick used in many types of racing.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Jeff,
After taking the time to read some of the drivel, I need to agree with Scott. Your comments to Pam are unconscionable. Also, if you are going to put quotes around something, please have something to quote. For this - "Pam, with the responses I have seen you post in the last few threads, I feel it may be time to have you removed from the ASAC comittee so you can deal with your "personnel issues" Tom has every right to see what the "once a year experts" did to his carb"

Your quote of "personnel issues" is ridiculous. I am sure, if Pam was to say something about her personal issues, I think she would use the word that refers to her person and not the word that refers to "people employed in an organization".

Tony Ave and John Bauer are not "once a year experts". And, I don't know from where you pulled that quote.
wheel
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
AS_74

Default Turns out these are not spec carbs

I am forwarding an email I received from Holley about the specs of 4776 we run.
0-4776C
Inbox
x

Christopher S. Dockery <ShawnDockery@holley.com>
1:08 PM (3 hours ago)

to me

Tom,

The list 4776 600cfm Double Pumper is not a spec carburetor, therefore there can be running changes to different aspects of the carburetor that sometimes are not noted until after the changes are made. The change could be as minor as appearance up to performance changes such as jets, power valves, metering bock numbers and boosters. It would be hard to spec out older 4776 carbs. against newer carbs for the reasons mentioned about running changes.

Thank you,

Shawn Dockery
Technical Service Representative
Holley Performance Products Inc.
1801 Russellville Rd.
Bowling Green Ky,42102
shawndockery@holley.com
small logo
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Tom thanks for posting this. This clears up the issue that your brought up with the winners boosters. Part number changed but the specs are the same that matter.

I appreciate you clearing this up.

Philip
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM

This may all be true, but I guarantee you that Holley never made a booster that looked like the ones that were deemed non-compliant.

wheel