Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 PM

We had a fun week with the car. I knew going in that the week was a extended test session. In the race I had battled with Matt Naegle which lasted from the drop of the green to the checkers. Work starts today getting ready for 2014 and our next Runoffs in 2015.

Cheyne
Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
AS_74

Default Thanks Jeff!

Now we know why they wouldn't allow me to watch the process or see the tooling. According to you Jeff, the measuring devices that SCCA used were manufactured by BLP, which is the company that supplied the carburetor to Hutter Racing Engines.

SCCA destroyed the boosters by forcing the gauges over the outside diameter of the booster.

Pictures to follow...

Also Jeff, can you verify what I saw? Out of the three carbs on the table, mine and the SCCA carb had the same part numbered boosters. The third (the winner) carb boosters did not match SCCA's carb. In other words it had different/wrong boosters.

Let me know, Thanks!

Tom
Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS_74 View Post
Now we know why they wouldn't allow me to watch the process or see the tooling. According to you Jeff, the measuring devices that SCCA used were manufactured by BLP, which is the company that supplied the carburetor to Hutter Racing Engines.

SCCA destroyed the boosters by forcing the gauges over the outside diameter of the booster.
Does the SCCA have the authority to destroy a component in order to determine it legality?

Does the SCCA have the authority to perform closed door inspections on my car or equipment without Me or a representative from my team present to observe?

If so, I think we need some rule changes.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Boosters

from my understanding years ago , Sam Moore made a gauge for the min length of boosters, when it was found that people were shorting up boosters so there was more room between lower part of booster and ventura of the carb barrel, if you shorten them it adds up to a lot more CFM of air going through ventura ,
Basicly they would slide the gauge over the booster if the gauge moved up and down thay they were short or someone shorted them,
this worked for I think the R4776-1-2-3-4-5-6, the newer R4776-7-8 have a newer oval booster and gauge I think is different?
as is booster number I think,
I got pic of TS carb he sent me and think its a R4776-4 holley,with old style boosters and seems the gauge when slid over gouged top of booster pretty hard, so his boosters were long not short, and the gauge is ment to slide over parallel , and your not suppose to hook gauge on bottom and can opener it if you no what I mean,
if someone has a way to down load pic to here I can send it from my phone as TS asked, I have just a flip phone and need to send it to someone with a 4g phone,

I don't want to upset people but I do understand what has happened,
its over with , but sometimes people need justice,
and I do see by pics , someone is upset with TS,
Like his 6 months loss of Lis for T2 race, I no TS just won't pull over for you,LOL, u got to work for it.
Joe T
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
AS_74

Default Tortured Tech

SCCA Tech forced the measuring device causing the boosters to be damaged.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
AS_74

All (4) boosters marred from tech forcing their measuring device on, which we were not allowed to witness.

We asked to view the measurement and tools being used, to which we were denied. This is mandatory for any mechanical protest by both courts.

More photos for viewing:
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Shawn:

Why are you not coming to next year's runoffs? We'd like to see out here at Laguna.

Darryl
Old 09-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Cheyne:

My bad. I apologize for calling you Shawn. Anyway, too bad you can't make the trip to Laguna next year. it's a great track. I expect we'll have a good size AS field. I think there will be a lot of AS cars coming out of the west coast barns this winter, updated and entering west coast races. Should be an exciting year.

Darryl
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Jeff and Tom

Jeff --

According to the Supplemental Regulations for the Runoffs:

9.13. Data Acquisition: SCCA Technical Staff and/or Club Racing Board members and their delegates may install data acquisition equipment in a
competitorís car. This program is to assist the CRB in competition adjustments; participation is mandatory, not optional and is NON-PROTESTABLE. The data collected will not be used for compliance purposes at the Runoffs this year.

We discussed this at the tent meeting on Wednesday, and we missed you not being there.

I hope your response to this requirement will not cause any future issues for you.

Tom --

Looking at the website that Jeff provided, it seems those boosters cost somewhere between 3 and 5 dollars each to replace. I'll take a bold leap here, and say, that on behalf of the SCCA, I'll be glad to send you a check to cover the cost of new ones, since they were damaged in the process of determining if your car was compliant or not.

I'll even order them for you, if you like, but, I don't know which is the right one for our carb (I don't pay much attention to my carb, get it cleaned every year and checked for gaskets and needed replacement parts and just put it on the car). Mine is 21 years old.

Anyway, send me the proper part number and your address, and I'll have them sent your way, or I'll send a check.

My best to both of you, Pam
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Don't worry about the name....just don't call me late for dinner...

Nope Laguna is out for next year. Lots of variables have ruled it out. Instead we will be doing the Majors in the Northern Conference and going down to Daytona at least once if not twice. Laguna is nice. We used to live in Pacific Grove and Carmel back in the early 90's when I was still in the Air Force at the Defense Language School.

Cheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeefeldt View Post
Cheyne:

My bad. I apologize for calling you Shawn. Anyway, too bad you can't make the trip to Laguna next year. it's a great track. I expect we'll have a good size AS field. I think there will be a lot of AS cars coming out of the west coast barns this winter, updated and entering west coast races. Should be an exciting year.

Darryl