Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I was at BLP today and talked to them about the tools used to verify the carbs. According to BLP, Holley came to them and asked them to produce the tools which would verify the carbs. So any concerns about some "other" company making the tools to verify Holley carbs seems to be unfounded.

Andy
Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Many of the tools used to verify compliance are not made by the parent company. For example, there are tools for SM valve seats, and other head measurements that don't come from Mazda. All of the other tools, calipers, gauges, whistlers, etc. are made by many different companies. Who makes the tool is a non-issue.
wheel
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
AS_74

Default Correction about who saw what in the tech shed

With permission from Peter Keane, I am forwarding Peters findings of his personal measurements of the #74 carburetor. Peter is a member of the CRB and was asked by the COA to verify/measure using the gauge kit provided by tech. He measured with All the test gauges for compliance. Peters findings, were that ALL the carb gauges PASSED and informed the COA of his findings. Based upon the gauge kit, the carb was 100% compliant.

This is consistent with what we were told on Friday from tech inspector Rick Henschel before the close of the shed at 8pm, that the carb had passed ALL gauge testing. Tom
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM

So, you are saying that Tony Ave, who has no dog at all in the AS hunt, is lying?

And that Peter Keene told the COA your carb was legal, while Tony told them it was illegal?

And the COA, with directly conflicting input from 2 respected CRB members, chose to ignore totally the input of one of them?

So you are telling us to believe that at least a dozen people, from the Chief Steward on down, actively conspired to deem your car illegal? CS, COA, SOM, Members of the CRB, Tech steward, line chief, tech staff.....

Where is my tinfoil hat.......
Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM
TonyAve

Tom,

Perhaps you should post a bit more accurately. Peter felt that while the booster guage didnt appear to go over when he tried it, that the boosters were to be deemed illegal since they had been altered from a stock booster in that the champher was on the exterior. So, as i then took a more careful look at the 4 boosters myself, i could find a place on each one where the guage woukd slide over, using two fingers.

Regardless to their length, those boosters have been champhered on the exterior and in no way resemble the stock version, or for that matter ANY of the boosters in the six carburetors on the table. A Sedan does not run a 'guage rule' like Nascar, you can't mess with the parts and be legal just because the guages fit. You guys are not allowed to modify the boosters, etc. AT ALL. The guages are just used as a first step to see if the carb still has stock dimensions. Just because the guages may fit (and in your case one did NOT) does not mean you are legal. They have to be stock and unmodified.

I just spoke with PK by phone. Frankly you are doing a big dis-service to the A Sedan community by leading them to think stock boosters were thrown out. They were nothing close to being untouched. As i told you before, if you can get Holley to state they manufactured boosters like that and they came stock in a 4776 carb have them call me.

T

Last edited by TonyAve; 10-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Interesting numbers

Of the Division top three drivers eligible to enter the Runoffs, ASedan has the highest percentage, in all classes, of drivers who entered. 89%
We were 4th in total Runoffs starters, with 36.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Default driver ages

Runoffs Age distribution: Drivers
Age Number
15-20 18
21-25 18
26-30 40
31-35 25
36-40 64
41-45 86
46-50 110
51-55 93
56-60 101
61-65 66
66-70 61 (I'm the 1 in the 61)
71+ 18

So, adding them up
from 15 - 45 there were 251
from 46 - ∞ there were 449
Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Walther

Greetings all, been a long time.
Here’s a little unsolicited input on carburetors and boosters- When A/S was reintroduced; engines were basically stock and a 600 CFM carburetor was more than efficient. Today’s engines are purported to make north of 420 rwhp and spin at or over 8000 RPM. Within those parameters, 600 CFM can actually serve as restrictor plate. An A/S engine today, <313 CID, at 100% volumetric efficiency, turning 8000 RPM, would require at or near 725 CFM. So anything you do to your carburetor to increase CFM will increase horsepower. Those can include shaving your throttle plates, grinding the throttle plate set screws, polishing or porting the venturies or base plate, or narrowing or shortening the boosters which lie directly in the air path. It was my understanding that the main body of the carburetor must remain basically untouched, as delivered from Holley. (Anecdotal sidebar- I fabricated an air cleaner base from several different ones and a K&N stub stack. I used a K&N Max Flow upper and modified it to fit the choke tower. On consecutive pulls, that set-up made an honest, uncorrected 8 more rear-wheel horsepower on a “loaded” dyno at sea level as compared to no air cleaner at all, all because it moved air more efficiently through the carb)

As far as differences in 4776 revisions, my original A/S carb was an eBay item. It had no dashes after 4776. I sold that carb to a fella off this forum, however it was opened during shipping (probably because it smelled like gasoline) and UPS clearly dropped it, breaking the rear discharge nozzle off and damaging the main body of the carb. Through PM’s and good conscience, I decided to make things right even though it wasn’t my fault. He sent the carb back to me and I ordered a new main body directly from Holley. While replacing the original main body with a new 4776-3, there was a clear visual difference in the boosters. The top of “-3” boosters were shaped differently and appeared to be shorter. I’m not Patrick James (Pro-Systems) but I know enough about carbs to see that the new main body would clearly outflow the old one.

One last thing, I served as a (Paid) techie for a season when I raced circle track. As we were trained; if a go/no go gauge needed to be forced in any way, the part was deemed as compliant. I’m not sure how you damage a carburetor with a compliance gauge unless you are forcing it. I don’t’ have a dog in this fight, I’m just saying…