Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default 2013 Runoffs Carburetor talk.

As you know my company (Pro Systems) builds carburetors for A/Sedan. As you may know, I have raced A/Sedan and won a Regional Championship set a track record blah blah... Hands on development is important if you want to be a winning developer for the class. I think we have won 70-80 percent of the Runoffs since A/Sedan started. This same hands on taught us a lot on the track AND in the tech shed.

One year at the runoffs in the tech shed we got bounced because I used scotch brite to clean carbon off a throttle blade on one of Andy McDermids carbs. The blade was fully within spec BUT deemed illegal and Andy lost a Championship. It was a judgement call, not a spec call. It happens. We have NEVER been bounced from tech before or since.

We now have a very DETAILED specification sheet that we made ourselves and have BRAND NEW in the box Holley carbs as examples should we need to defend ourselves. NO we will not release these max specs as we have worked for years pushing the tech shed to see what would get through and we know where the wall is at.

BUT as I said, sometimes specs arent everything. We used to do NASCAR stuff and anytime we were trying something new we took it to the tech guy FIRST.

We had a carb for Dale Jr. that used massive .146 jets it was a crazy high emulsion deal that made great power...it had no spec on it and it was BOUNCED BEFORE it ever ran. We knew, even though there wasnt a spec on what I had designed, we wanted to be sure it was legal BEFORE we ran it.

We did another deal at the Rolex 24 with Justin Bells Corvette. We had like 60 h.p. on the field. He qualified number one OVERALL. That Corvette was faster than even the Daytona Prototypes!! It was the last carburetor to ever Qualify number one at that historic race and it was BANNED for the very next event.

BUT thats how its done. You ask first and we did. I called the organization and clarified their carb specs before I built that freak of a carb for Justins CRD powered Corvette.

Is there power in warping booster shapes and tapers and locations, absolutely. Will the tools have trouble fitting on that supposedly stock booster, YES.

If its a stock booster the tool will fit. We use LEGAL replacement boosters that were approved back in 2009. They match the specs legally AND the tool fits.

The tech shed is gonna put that tool on there AND its gotta fit.

The shame of it all was the driver of the car that lost in the tech shed had one of our carbs in his trailer, that made by his own admittance within 1 h.p of the carb he ran (we talked via telephone a moment ago and I scolded him badly), yet he elected to run the other carb and he lost as a result.

Do I believe he was aware of this issue? You can't believe that he was aware that the testing tool would not fit the carb. He has been through tech a billion times and he KNOWS that tool is going to be slid on there.

Its a shame that a warped booster (yes you can warp boosters for improved cfm and power...we've done it for years) caused this loss. Warping shapes changes the way the air rolls into the carb and it makes power. Even running the throttle blades on some carbs OVER CENTER makes power. There are a lot of tricks. Those are a couple.

Over center is illegal almost everywhere BTW, we believe it was what killed Adam Petty, I was not involved in that.

But once again, if you are aware of what happens in the tech shed, you will not willingly take an item in there that wont pass the test that you KNOW is going to be made.

Bigger cfm, will make more power on these engines. We put a cheater carb on at the dyno to test some cheats and saw a gain of 15 h.p....the power is there. BUT dont reach OR allow your carb builder to reach outside this box or you both will get slapped.

I am sorry for his loss, but we are also happy that we passed tech and won the event again. Congrats to the winner (I'll keep their name out of the mud in this post) and hats off to my guys at the shop for putting another feather in our cap.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

Last edited by PRO SYSTEMS; 09-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
racindavid1

Thanks for the info Patrick. Good stuff.
BTW how often, if ever, should we be sending one of your carbs back for PM and a "tune up" ?

-Venhaus
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM

I have three Hollys, including one from Pro Systems. All of the boosters are identical and look just like the ones in the stock comparison carb that they had in the tech trailer.
wheel
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM

What's a Carburetor?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Yea boosters are tricky so you gotta walk a fine line there. Anything funky and you are going down.

As far as freshening them up, these carbs just dont need the maintenance like the 3 circuit stuff we do in GT-1 and the Trans AM series.

The A-sedan carbs we build really last. Just put a normal kit in them every few years and change the floats...if the idle suddenly gets weird then send it in as we have something kind of secretive to take care of there that also effects the fuel curve. But thats only once every 3-5 years

Otherwise enjoy a well built piece that will give you years of trouble free service.

OH and Scott, a carburetor is something that will consistently out power EFI at 1/3 the price.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sanda View Post
What's a Carburetor?
It is a fuel delivery device used by people who put grease in their hair and roll a cigarette pack into the sleeve of their white tee shirt.

Cheyne
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sanda View Post
What's a Carburetor?
I'm still trying to figure this out myself.

RP 4th gen Camaro
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Smitty

Guys.. thanks for the best laugh I've had in a while.

Pat, I have one of your carbs on my #89 Mustang. It consistently performs flawlessly, running clean and smooth. I will always run one of your carbs on my cars. 'Nuff said.

Thanks again guys, and I do think this is all a good discussion, especially if it helps teach and inform some of us who just don't know any better (myself included).

Kristian
Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Thanks Kristian, Glad all is well!!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM

I second Kris Smith's comments. The Pro System carbs aren't all that expensive for what you get. Bolt them on and go....feels like fuel injection, smooth as silk, no bog no flat spots. I hate to admit it but I haven't even jetted the stupid thing!

Tom
#38 Camaro