Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Default 2014 runoffs

Thought I would move this over to the Runoffs area.

We had a discussion, on the CRB call the other night, about the sound situation at Laguna. Since sound, during the week, is restricted to 90 db (we are trying for 92db) before 0900 and after 1630, we are faced with a couple of options during qualifying. The races will all be run under the SCCA's 103 db rule. Either shorten the Q day, or try to run the classes that can make the 90 db cut early in the morning, or after 1630. That would appear to be FV, SM and SRF. All would require mufflers. It would be hard, if not impossible to make classes like AS and GT1, for instance, meet that level.
It is looking like FV could all run a spec Supertrapp muffler, and SM and SRF could all run some type of spec muffler. This would be required for all sessions, including the race, so that they would not be required to retune for no muffler.
By the way, the sound station is on the right side of the track, so all of us with exhausts that exit on that side will have to build left side systems. Mid O and RA have left side sound, so most of us have exhaust that exits out the right.
More info to follow.
wheel
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM

There is no way my AS car can even make 95 db, and I have a muffler.
Usually I am running about 98-99. Luckilly, it is rear exit,
and I can make it left or right biased by just loosening a clamp and redirecting
the turn down in whatever direction is best.

FWIW, in Oregon, race cars are required to run mufflers, regardless of
whether they can meet sound levels without them. There are a few
exceptions for special events, but not for SCCA events.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM

We will just have to make 103, since we will not be in the early morning or late afternoon groups. I am usually around 98 when they measure on the left side of the car. I will be way over when the measure on the right. I'll have to make a left side exit exhaust.
wheel
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Default At this private track rental. The sound level max was 90 db

Worked a Ford marketing event at Laguna Seca in 2003 with production intent street cars.
And at this private track rental. The sound level max was 90 db.
Our cars street exhaust tested 92 93 . As tested by the state park system who owned the track.
Every time we tested 91 and over we were fined $1000 (one thousand BUCKS). So we were forced to lift going up the hill before the corkscrew.
After lunch Dan Gurney & Jackie Stewart were asked to give joy rides In new GT 40s.
They were also asked to lift ate the sound equipment!
Short story, Ford Marketing group had to pen a check for $62,000 to the California park system, at days end.
Up side- There were smiles all around riding and watching history re-created.