Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 AM

Default Spring races

Anybody else coming out to Gateway or June Sprints? We could use a couple more in our class at both. GMP is on, and I presume June Sprints are too.
My car is ready and making it's first outing as an AS car. Hoping for trouble free days. The June Sprints looks more like a pro Trans Am race with us AS cars allowed to tag along, though. So many GT1 and 2 cars in the field will make for lots of mirror watching.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:07 PM

The mirror watching isn't bad at Road America but smaller tracks it can be a mess. That's why I don't go to Blackhawk anymore and it's real close to me. I'm not a fan of the group we run in.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 PM

Terrible group at Road America when the GT1 guys catch you in the kink, or a couple of other places. I had a suspension piece break last year and came within an eyelash of killing Tony Ave and myself. If had been anyone less skilled than Tony, it would have been a disaster.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:51 PM

Been trying to get us out of big bore for 3 years now. All but given up at this point. See you at the sprints.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 AM

While I agree that AS would be better served in another group, where would that be?

In with T2 makes the most sense, but that run group already has 80 cars.

I would love it if AS was in a different group across the country, but the logistics just do not work.

And, EVERY class that is not GT1 has the same issue AS has about getting caught by GT1 cars in dicey places. Even the GT2 class leaders usually get lapped by the lead GT1 cars.

At least at RA you have good sight lines, and mostly won't get surprised. At a Blackhawk, or a Mido you can get a GT1 enema surprise really easily.

if it is a DOT vs slick issue, just put AS onto a nice slick..... (I know, Fu Scott.....)

Just think about how the GT3 guys feel running with AS. AS runs about the same times, but makes the speed differently, and they weigh 1200 pounds more......

In any event, Sprints is going to be interesting this year.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM

At Waterford Hills in Michigan, AS has its own run group...
http://www.waterfordhills.com/run-groups.html
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 AM

I get the current mixed groupings of prod, GT, and touring but I wonder if they've looked into grouping by speed. Obviously GT1 is an extreme case but I'd think grouping by speed might be better. AS with EP, T2, T3, STU, and maybe STL. Put T4 in with BS, HP and FP.
I was running T4 and while I never had an issue with T2/ST cars I was in their way and they'd mess up my quali laps.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:13 AM

I had a similar experience with Tony ave at VIR. He did absolutely nothing wrong. I looked in my mirror at the bottom esses and saw nothing. I went up the hill and at the fast left I started to turn in and he was next to me. If it wasn't for his flamboyant paint scheme blinding my peripheral in the sunlight I woulda killed us both.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM

I turned in for the kink, and my panhard chassis attach point broke. I moved sideways and he went by within an inch at about +70 mph. Two other GT1 went by on the other side before I could even think.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 PM

I think they must consider weight as well. Think of a 3000lb car colliding with a 2000lb car.... Not a nice thought...