Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Get a clue

There's a reason for A Sedan's decline in national numbers...the over reaching one has been the lack of listening to the existing AS stakeholders. National's policy of continuing to tinker with the class by adding power, adding cost, adding cost, adding cost...well, who exactly asked for this larger brake rotor? How many people knew about its proposal? Is anyone going to listen if people express their displeasure with it as is happening in this thread? The biggest problem with committees is that they feel they have to justify their existence by doing something...when the best thing to do, usually, is nothing.

They tinkered with engines last year, Spec Mustangs in AS the year before (how'd that do in increasing the AS numbers?) and this year..oh, let me make a wild guess and predict that engines are the next item after brakes to be tinkered with...hmmm, maybe a crate engine? sheesh...this is the reason that in the San Francisco Region the only A Sedan cars running are three Spec Mustangs...the many AS that were parked in garages are getting ready for next year in an AS regional class that has the rules frozen as of three years ago...regional racers could care less about battling with John and Andy at the Runoffs...we're more concerned with having fun locally and cheaply...how about a tire rule that allows any tire with 100 TW? Those run $850 per set of 4 and last 3 full race weekends. That's what we'll be doing. And so on and so on.

The main reason for racing for me over the past 50 years has been to have fun...and I've seen so many people that want to add their piss to the soup when they become the cooks. Unfortunately AS suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:32 AM

Where is that listed in Fast track? I'm not finding it.
Without knowing the facts of why it was proposed, it's hard to comment on. It seems to me that the newer cars who need bigger brakes are already allowed them. Not sure why it'd be needed for all cars but maybe there's some aspect of it some aren't seeing as MLong pointed out. If we want the class to continue, some allowances need to made. It can't keep it as carbed cars from the 80's and think anybody will build new ones. But they also need to keep the older cars somewhat competitive.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 PM

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1594730925
Here is a link
Old 07-17-2020, 08:41 PM

Here is my take
I feel from Mlongs reply and remarks from others, is that the reasoning behind this rule change is there a very few racers that are buying 13” rotors and having them turned down and they don’t want that expense anymore. I can respect that. However, that is probably the only reason the letter was written in the first place. This will help about 10 or 15 people in the class. For me it will not change a thing other than I buy 13” rotors and move the brackets to the other holes and move on. But for most this could be a significant change, most will need new brackets at minimum some will need to update wheels. For the few on the new committee I wish they would think about all of us in this class which includes the entry racer into the class. If they really believe that this will help new people coming to the class I call a B.S.!!

I agree with Mr. Wheeler that on this forum all we are doing is bitching. My advice is flood the BoD with letters and phone calls. My experience with the current CRB leader is, he knows all that is best for the class and doesn’t care what we the core class members want. If he did he would be sending things out to the members for input like Mr. Wheeler did when he was our fearless leader.

If you disagree with this change I urge you to contact your director.
End of rant
Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 AM

enter a letter into the system www.crbscca.com
Although, when I was chair of the CRB I did not encourage people to contact their BoD member, I think, with the current CRB it might not be a bad idea, in addition to writing to the CRB.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:28 PM

I've submitted my letter in disagreement.

I don't see any appreciable gain (tire limited) for a fairly significant effort and expense. I will have to modify my spindles, modify a new set of spindles, or fab adapter brackets for new radial-mount calipers.

I would like to hear the justification behind this request.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 07-19-2020, 11:40 AM

I'm curious of the justification behind this also. The current rotor size is readily available.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the link. Is it common for these to be released in other channels but not posted to SCCA website?
Anyway, this was proposed by Philip Smith who I think posts on here. Maybe he can chime in with his view?
It doesn't say you have to change, so arguing against it because you don't want to/doesn't fit wheels, etc. probably isn't gonna sway the CRB. I'm sure some will feel like they have to change to keep up, but maybe run whatcha got and see how it shakes out? I find the better driver can overcome shortcomings to the car, and better parts doesn't make you faster unless you have the skills to use them.
FYI, I just finished building up my car to AS and researched brakes quite a bit. There are 12.2" options for my 02 Camaro. Not sure about Ford's and earlier years of Camaro/Firebirds. So not sure if this is about parts availability or some perception of needing more performance.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:07 AM

There are a ton of off the shelf options for rotors on the Mustangs. I run the stock hub with a Wilwood hat and rotor.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:53 PM

Hey guys,glad we are talking about our cars,weather you agree or not it's good to keep talking. My view on this lines up with the trans gear ratio and wheel width size issues. The trans ratios we are stuck with, modeled from a 1979 Camero T5, are harder on our engines and drive lines, yet changing them has been voted down many times. That chance would save everyone a lot of $$$ and time working on their car. The under sized wheel width wears out our tires faster, according the all the tire manufacturers, and we want cheaper tires but don't want to change the wheels to improve tire wear.
A set of common sized wheels are cheaper the a set of tires.
People looking to get into our class are questioning these rules, including rotor size, due to the cost and lack of availability of the the parts we run.
People that run at the regional level and people looking to get into AS want parts the can buy without a ton of research, as we all do.
I appreciate and applaud the current AS racers for all the hard work they have done to get where they are. I think we need to work on the rules to help all of the current racers and be more appealing to those looking to get into our class.
I think we need to be proactive with our rules to help with the decreasing availability of parts and the increase of there cost. We are already seeing this with the Edelbrock heads. As a side note, nascar has been putting 12.9" rotors in 15" wheels for decades.
It was great to see 9 cars at Mid Ohio and New Jersey.