Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 AM

Default Bigger rotors?

I see in Fasttrack there is a proposal for bigger rotors. Going from a 12.2 diameter to a 13.1 diameter. I am on the fence about this. What is the thoughts from the community?
Old 07-14-2020, 03:39 PM

Why do this? The guys that use 16" wheels can't fit a 13.1" rotor.

A set of 16" tires is about $200 cheaper than a set of 17" tires.

Rule changes like this just make the top 10 AS cars in the country faster with no apparent benefit to the broader AS community.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:29 AM

I guess I'm not sure what this does for the class. It doesn't seem to reduce costs (both upfront or operating), and I can't imagine it's going to give a significant impact on braking performance given that the tire contact patch isn't changing. I'm legitimately curious what's driving the rulebook change.

Honestly, given all the pandemic crap going on right now, I'd probably be more in favor of freezing the rule book for X period of time (aside from new platform classing). It would help minimize expenditures replacing perfectly serviceable parts, potentially make it more interesting for new builders (no need to worry about parts being obsoleted for X years if you build to the current spec), and allow us to focus more on racing and less on optimizing to rules changes. [/end_rant]

Last edited by Rotaryracer; 07-15-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM

What the heck? This is listed as a recommended change. I agree that there is
no need for this, and just complicates, and raises costs. Where was the discussion on this?

I run 17" wheels, so could maybe do this, but would have to do redo
all the special brackets for mounting calipers. And on the rear, this would
pretty much necessitate a whole rear housing change since cailiper brackets
are welded to the housing.

I don't get SCCA and American Sedan comittee at all.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 07-15-2020, 04:50 PM

Bad idea. As others have said, it just raises costs to go a second or two faster, maybe.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:01 PM

This is a bad idea. The 17" wheel folks will love this, but the rest of us who stayed with 16" wheels will not be able to do this without major changes, including going to 17" wheels. There is already an advantage to having the 17" wheels, this will just increase that advantage. If it passes and you run 17" wheels with bigger brakes, you should add 100# to your weight.
Please make your opinion known at www.crbscca.com Comment here are pissing in the wind.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:40 PM

I can get 13.1" rotors with calipers within my 16" wheels. GT-1 has for many years had the 13.1" rotor spec and 16" wheels. Now I know AS is nothing like GT-1, but that was stated as a point of reference.

The larger rotor will provide a very slight increase in brake torque, however the weakest link in the AS braking chain is the tire contact and traction. A team with a developed braking package to the current rules will see very little improvement as they are already spending top dollar for calipers, pads and rotors that take braking performance beyond the tire grip threshold. The biggest benefactors are the ones that do not want to spend top dollar or can make the effort to build a package that equates to the top contenders.

But I will argue against the 13.1" taking seconds off lap times, when in reality, at best we are looking a tenth or two when taking into account the increased rotating mass.

The upside to allowing the larger rotor is wider range of available brake kits and rotor options that are cheaper and readily available, but I don't believe it will be a mandatory upgrade to stay competitive, however it will help those that are new to the class or are considering coming to the class find a brake package that doesn't involve McGyvering a package together with an antiquated rotor spec. The AS class can use all the new participants it can get to stay relevant in SCCA, so I am all for updating the rules that make finding parts easier and cheaper for a competitor to come join us.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:41 PM

Mlong,

Well. the larger rotors will not fit under my wheels and the brake kit I use. Wilwood, is cheap and available. You made a lot of statements and, I wonder where your data came from, to state what you did in your second paragraph. Show me some data. Or the third para, or any of the stuff you state as fact. PS. Another half inch in diameter is not going to give you "increased rotating mass" when your are talking about our tires and wheels. I'm calling total B.S. on that.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Jim, the second paragraph is easy to prove and is usually shown on any given weekend as our current braking capability exceeds the tire grip available, as it does with many other competitors and if your system doesn't then you now have a cheaper route to get to that threshold rather than using $300 rotors or a $500 set of brake pads every other weekend or having to buy rotors and cut down the diameter to meet specification.

The rule doesn't state you must use a 13.1" rotor, if a 12.8" fits then you have an option, same with 12.2".

And I agree, letters shall be written to the CRB for any rule change recommended or to request a rule change. The past few years has seen a decline in participation and the class needs an infusion of new competitors and we as a collective group need to find ways to achieve that.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:16 PM

Sadly this class lost the plot about a year and a half ago. With rule changes like this the class is only going to get smaller.