Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 11-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Default Differential

Okay, it's time for me to replace the diff in the Mustang. I've used an Auburn "race" diff, but it has given up the ghost.

So, Detroit Locker, Torsen, or Clutch-type?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:40 AM

Default Diff

We use a torsen. Pam
Old 11-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Torsen T2r is the easy button (OEM on all the Ford factory racecars).

Wavetrac is a great choice.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Torsen T2R is the way to go. It's expensive but you'll never have to service it.
The auburn doesn't have high enough bias, nor does the non-R torsen.
You'll have to rebuild a clutch type diff every weekend, and Saturday night at 3-day events. The oil between the plates lasts 20 minutes or less.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 11-28-2020, 10:13 AM

Has anyone switched from a Detroit Locker to a Torsen and then observed an improvement in lap times?
Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMuddiman View Post
Torsen T2R is the way to go. It's expensive but you'll never have to service it.
The auburn doesn't have high enough bias, nor does the non-R torsen.
You'll have to rebuild a clutch type diff every weekend, and Saturday night at 3-day events. The oil between the plates lasts 20 minutes or less.
We ran into that even with the V6 T4 mustangs. Using the Ford Racing diff it would show signs of degradation after as little as 2-3 weekends. 1 of our drivers insisted on replacing it every 2 weekends. fortunately they were inexpensive. We finally started using Yukon Gears discs and they work very well.

If I couldn't find a T2r I would run the Wavetrac. I was impressed by the owner during a conversation I was having with him about which was better. He believed his unit is better but said if we were comfortable using the T2r he would stick with it as the difference wouldn't be worth the effort to setup for the different diff. I respect a vendor's opinion when they are telling me why I shouldn't buy their product...
Old 11-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFoot View Post
Has anyone switched from a Detroit Locker to a Torsen and then observed an improvement in lap times?
We ran the Detroit Locker in the Motorola Cup series when the Auburn proved to be too weak. 95 Cobra R. That diff scared the shit out of me. It was imperative that you be on the throttle to get the car to turn. At the time I was a Miata/RX7 driver who was used to lifting to turn the car... I'm still not over that trauma...
Old 11-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRMX5 View Post
We ran the Detroit Locker in the Motorola Cup series when the Auburn proved to be too weak. 95 Cobra R. That diff scared the shit out of me. It was imperative that you be on the throttle to get the car to turn. At the time I was a Miata/RX7 driver who was used to lifting to turn the car... I'm still not over that trauma...
I guess you are saying real men use Lockers, LOL. I bet Andy has a Locker.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFoot View Post
I guess you are saying real men use Lockers, LOL. I bet Andy has a Locker.
That would be about right. Throwing me into a Mustang in the middle of a Motorola Cup race at Sonoma was definitely introducing me to the deep end of the pool... I will say that once you got the locker hooked up with the right amount of throttle that plowing pig of a Mustang would turn like a Miata...
Old 11-29-2020, 06:51 PM

Plowing pig?? Don't you recall that in 1979, when the car was introduced, Motor Trend wrote a road test and said "The new Mustang is blessed with near perfect 55/45 weight distribution." 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣