Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM

If the government (CDC, and others) had not been decimated by budget cuts and firings, they could have foreseen this problem, and taken action way before it became the problem it is today. There should have been plenty of test kits available, as soon as China started building hospitals for tens of thousands of victims. The government didn't do anything (blame whomever your want) and now we are in a situation where the only way to stop this is by off-the-wall measures. Shame on them.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:00 PM

Jim,

I love you, but : prove that statement. Show us who, what, where, when, why of firings, and on budget cuts.

Maybe there is some validity to the test kit issue, but given the way the entire left side of the isle and the media slammed trump for issueing the China travel ban, and given the way the courts stopped the iran travel ban (for those that do not know it, patient zero as identified in NY travel in Iran and returned to the US during the courts ordered stay of the ban),

What do you think would have happened if the Administration had set up a task force and diverted money towards test kits 2 or 3 months ago?

Frankly, I hold the Chinese, then the Media, the Democrats and the Republicans to be the "at fault" for the current mess, in the order listed.

As one person I know said to me (and I recognize the validity but utterly reject the idea), the only sure way to have stopped this thing from going global was for China to have Nuked Wuhan.

If we want to continue this discussion, let's start another thread, and not pollute the AS facebook thread with the opinions of assholes (and yes, I am including me in that description)
Old 03-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Default here you go. from Snopes

The claim came from a series of tweets posted by Judd Legum, who runs Popular Information, a newsletter he describes as being about “politics and power.” Legum’s commentary was representative of sharp criticism from Democratic legislators (and some Republicans) that the Trump administration had ill-prepared the country for a pandemic even as one was looming on the horizon.

Legum outlined a series of cost-cutting decisions made by the Trump administration in preceding years that had gutted the nation’s infectious disease defense infrastructure. The “pandemic response team” firing claim referred to news accounts from Spring 2018 reporting that White House officials tasked with directing a national response to a pandemic had been ousted.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer abruptly departed from his post leading the global health security team on the National Security Council in May 2018 amid a reorganization of the council by then-National Security Advisor John Bolton, and Ziemer’s team was disbanded. Tom Bossert, whom the Washington Post reported “had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks,” had been fired one month prior.

It’s thus true that the Trump administration axed the executive branch team responsible for coordinating a response to a pandemic and did not replace it, eliminating Ziemer’s position and reassigning others, although Bolton was the executive at the top of the National Security Council chain of command at the time.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:02 PM

P.S. Anyone who disputes the severity of this pandemic is not doing due diligence. Yes, the media has been haphazard, but the liar in chief is still trump. It is all there in dated statements. He is too dumb to keep his mouth shut and let the experts, who he has not eliminated, to tell us what is going on.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:13 PM

WHO says 156,000+ die each DAY in the world for various reasons. Wuhan has killed approx. 9000 in 3 months. Get back to me about how severe it is when the Wuhan death toll reaches even one day's worth of everyday mortality.

And yes Jim, I agree that you are at risk. So am I. But, this could have been handled by self quarantine by the people at risk of death (60+). The vast majority would have been fine. And once you contract it your chances of getting it in the future are nearly zero. Are we going to go through this next year?

A virus can not be cured like a bacterial infection with antibiotics. Even with new flu shots every year we still live with a death toll of 30+ thousand. I guess knee jerk is the new norm in this country...
Old 03-19-2020, 12:22 PM

By the way, when you fail to include all the info in a post you discredit your info... From the quote provided by Jim regarding Trump cutting funding to the CDC: " But that was the result of the anticipated depletion of previously allotted funding, not a direct cut by the Trump administration. And as the CDC told FactCheck.org, the cuts were ultimately avoided because Congress provided other funding." Always remember, "the President proposes, and Congress disposes" which is why pork has gotten out of hand when it comes to spending...
Old 03-19-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Risk

David --

I am at risk too, and so is everyone. In the US, saw numbers this morning, 25% of the patients are over 65. 5% are over 80. That means, 70% of the patients are UNDER 65. So that is why EVERYONE is at risk. To see the behavior on the Florida beaches astonishes and saddens me. The "I don't care" attitude is what happened in Italy

Yes, the flu affects and kills more, but, Corona is WAY more contagious, especially as it is carried by people with no symptoms. We know WAY more about the flu than we know about this. As we learn, safety will improve. Until then, I plan to follow guidance, especially from our Governor in Maryland and our County leadership. I've been basically home since January 30, with very few outtings because of my knee replacement. It ain't as bad as people think, especially if you have lots to do while you are at home.

I really don't care if you believe, think it is a hoax or a partisan conspiracy, please follow guidance for all your family and friends that you want to still be around when this is over. It ain't that hard.

Pam