Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Default The other shoe just dropped

Here's the latest in the SMG/AS saga. San Francisco Region SCCA has moved A Sedan from Group 5 where it ran with the SMG cars to Group 3 where it will run with the GT1 cars. This will allow the SMG cars to double enter races each weekend in SMG in Group 5 and AS in Group 3. Nice little extra cash flow for SFR. SFR operates as clandestinely as SCCA National as none of the 5 AS drives in the SFR heard anything about it until it was announced as a 2019 Supplemental Reg. If I was running for President of the USA, along with the other 2 dozen that have already declared, I'd sure want David Ray as my campaign manager...I'd win by millions of votes.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 PM

Default my letters to the ASAC

26392 Request: Please add to the Spec Mustang spec line the requirement that the ABS be disconnected, as it is in the RP cars. This is an unfair advantage and, should there be a rain race, these cars will lap the field.

26393 Request: Please allow after market rear lower control arms, with same length as OEM, to all cars in AS. Since they are now part of the class, they should be available to all cars. There is no competitive advantage and no weight should be added for their use.

26394 Request: Please allow front splitters on all cars to extend beyond the front of the car to the same extent as allowed for the Spec Mustang, whatever that dimension is for the largest of the spec splitters on the SMG.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Class philosophy

Since that letter mentions spec mustang is the new philosophy of the class, and spec mustang uses dynos for tech inspections, will that concept migrate to full prep cars? Dyno pulls instead of teardown of engines? Lots of questions to be answered

Last edited by Ted Johnson; 01-29-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=jimwheeler;35133]26392 Request: Please add to the Spec Mustang spec line the requirement that the ABS be disconnected, as it is in the RP cars. This is an unfair advantage and, should there be a rain race, these cars will lap the field.

26393 Request: Please allow after market rear lower control arms, with same length as OEM, to all cars in AS. Since they are now part of the class, they should be available to all cars. There is no competitive advantage and no weight should be added for their use.

26394 Request: Please allow front splitters on all cars to extend beyond the front of the car to the same extent as allowed for the Spec Mustang, whatever that dimension is for the largest of the spec splitters on the SMG.[/QUOTE

If you can't beat a spec mustang with your power advantage you need to hang it up. Unless they are fudging the dynos you have nothing to worry about
Old 01-29-2019, 02:51 PM

Sure hope those SMG front Splitters are expensive, because if not, a lot of FP cars are going to be rear ended in the turns or under breaking.

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think getting rid of ABS is as simple as unplugging at the hubs. I think this action plays havoc with the ECU and the car ends up in limp home mode. The CRB seems to like the idea the the SMG cars can run in multiple classes with no changes. My guess is the ABS stays for the SMG cars and will be added back to the RP cars.

FP will be about HP, and SMG- RP will be about handling IMO. Let the games begin.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 PM

To Ted's comment about dynos. When have we ever seen a dyno at the Runoffs for tech? Never. Will SCCA now have to provide a dyno to make sure the SMG cars are really compliant, since there are no specs for the engines, other than the statement that they must remain stock and produce only XX horsepower? As Ted said, "Unless they are fudging the dynos" Indeed. Not sure why the T2 SMG cars at Sonoma turn faster lap times than the top 4 ASedans. Not sure why Fandozzi couldn't stay with the SMG car at the Sonoma Majors, even though his car destroyed Sean Gray's lap record at Hallett on his first time on that track. Also not sure why his car now gets a cam, for another 40? or so horsepower. This should be interesting.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 PM

And all the old FP cars can do is make their bumpers really strong. Good use of all that weight we now carry.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 PM

I don't think there is going to be a lot of these SMG cars. They are actually getting kind of old themselves and those engines are pretty obsolete in the Ford world. They'll probably give them Coyote motors next year the way things are going.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 PM

We tried to give ALL the FP mustangs the option of a restricted Coyote, as an FI option. It was shot down still born by the new powers that be without even getting to the what do you think and comment stage.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:23 AM

So the CRB thinks the SMG wing is only good for drag?

Steeda claims otherwise.

From their website:

"DESCRIPTION
Standing tall at full-race height, our competition wing (above, on the Screamin' Yellow Q) gets into the airstream and creates significant down-force to enhance handling and traction."
AS #71
Detroit Region