Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
twistedpiston

Default Throttle Pedal

Last time I brought this up it opened up a can of worms and discussions of rule intent, rules creep and who knows what else. ...like most topics that have to do with the rules or change in rules. But... After reading the original thread, I don't see where there was a definitive answer to my question, so I will present it again, maybe someone can clear it up for me and I can move on to even more ridiculous ideas.

The rule on the throttle pedal states: "The throttle pedal may not be relocated." ...I get that. However, here's my question: Can I replace the OEM pedal, in the same location on the firewall, with a pedal of a different make/manufacturer? To be clear, not just the plastic "pedal" part, but the whole damn thing, plastic firewall mount and all.

I don't want to make a 2 foot extension off the original, or leave the stock pedal in place, inoperable, and use something else, I just want to use a different pedal.

Or maybe something like this: ...joking, not what I'm looking to do, but wouldn't mind it either!

pedal by keithkdesigns, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
King Matt

That's a brilliant idea. The rule says the throttle pedal may not be relocated, but does it specify that it must be used?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Matt View Post
That's a brilliant idea. The rule says the throttle pedal may not be relocated, but does it specify that it must be used?
Look closely, it is being used, just not touched. MOVE THE SEAT WAY BACK!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Just my two cents, this is kind of like the rule that the carb base gasket now cannot extend beyond the spacer, apparently someone was using a 5 foot wide carb gasket and pretty much using it to isolate the carb from engine heat. Performance advantage?? maybe, but pretty clearly it was not what the rules intended, and although this is very nicely done, it is also clearly not what the rules intend.

You might get away with it for a while, but eventually they will have to put in some wording that will prevent it, make sure you have a fall back position.

Just my thoughts.

Andy
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
twistedpiston

Just to clear this up... This is NOT my car in the picture. Just using the picture of an example of what not to do. I just want to know if I can replace the throttle pedal assembly, in it's entirety, with a non-OEM throttle pedal assembly, mounted in the STOCK location. I'm not trying to be cute with the rules and move my fat ass back 5 feet, I just want to get rid of the stock, POS pedal. ...and be legal. -Keith
Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM

In the Feb 2011 version of the GCR, the reference to throttle pedal is in 9.1.6.D.5.e:

The pedal assembly, including the clutch pedal, clutch and brake master
cylinders, mechanical linkage and hydraulic lines, may be modified
or replaced. The pedal assembly, and master cylinders,
may be relocated. The throttle pedal may not be relocated.

Recall that if the GCR doesn't say you can do it, you can't. Hence, my personal interpretation would be that one cannot use a different throttle pedal and it cannot be relocated.

If you want this to change, please submit a letter to the ASAC through the letter process to the CRB, on scca.com.

FWIW, Pam Richardson
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
King Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamRichardson View Post
In the Feb 2011 version of the GCR, the reference to throttle pedal is in 9.1.6.D.5.e:

The pedal assembly, including the clutch pedal, clutch and brake master
cylinders, mechanical linkage and hydraulic lines, may be modified
or replaced
. The pedal assembly, and master cylinders,
may be relocated. The throttle pedal may not be relocated.

Recall that if the GCR doesn't say you can do it, you can't. Hence, my personal interpretation would be that one cannot use a different throttle pedal and it cannot be relocated.
The only thing I see that may be non-compliant about the arrangement in the photo is that it does not have a pedal pad on it, but I think it is already allowed to modify or replace the pedal pads. Otherwise, it is the original pedal and it has not been relocated. The secondary pedal and linkage could be argued to fall under the allowance to modify mechanical linkage. The rule says the pedal cannot be relocated, but it doesn't specify that an additional linkage can't be used to actuate the original pedal. It may be outside the intent, but I'm not sure it's outside the letter of the law.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Throttle pedal

OK, let me get this right.

We can run dual master cylinders with a balance bar.
We can run new pedals for these master cylinders.
We can run a collapsible steering colum.
We can remove the stock dash.
We can remove headlights and close them off.
We can run fuel injected motors or carb motors.
We can run remote canister shocks.
We can run all kinds of trannys.
We can run radial mount dual piston calipers on all 4 corners.
And so on and on and on.

Yet we must run the STOCK OEM GAS PEDDAL IN ITS STOCK LOCATION.

I don't get what we are trying to do in this class lately and it's no wonder there are only 15 A/S cars at the Runoffs. Am I missing something someplace?
Brian LaCroix
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM

you forgot aftermarket Alternators and power steering pumps and as much roll cage as you want!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM

...and that is why one of my first jobs as one of the newbies on the ASAC has been to go through our rules and find stuff that is outdated, etc. This is something we are working...

BTW, I re-thought my interpretation of the rules, after posting. One could read that rule that "the pedal assembly" not only includes the clutch and brake pedals (as stated), but also the throttle pedal. Even though it is not clearly stated (this is one of the things that may need some clarity). But, the fact that the throttle pedal can't be relocated is definitely stated. Now, "relocated" probably needs to be thought of in all 3 dimensions (my personal interpretation), so moving the pedal aft/back, is a relocation as well as its attachment points on the firewall, or left to right (pitch, roll, yaw for this old airplane person.... I view the rule as working to NOT have the driver moved WAY back in the cockpit, thus changing COG.

Ultimately, however, my interpretation is mine alone. Others probably have them as well. Ultimately, the interpretation of the COA is what is implemented.

Pam R.