Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM

I've never been a "full time racer" - but probably mildly representative of guys who built a car to have fun with, and hopefully not look like a complete idiot. I took a fairly long enforced vacation from this, returning in 2015 to find that during the layoff, my car went from respectable to comical in terms of speed (of course, it couldn't be erosion of driving skills....).

Given the continuous rules creep, and now cataclysmic changes, I've never wanted to spend the cash to keep up with the "spec of the moment". I pretty much expect to run some local Texas races this year and take a step into Vintage Racing with my '85 Mustang. That seems like it will be more fun, honestly. I don't really care about rules that much, and now that my car is vintage-eligible, I can go run with the 60s, 70s, and 80s Mustangs and Camaros, maybe have someone to race with.

All of the changes in AS over the years have resulted in a decimation of the fields to the point where the norm in the Southwest Division is 2 cars. I finish 2nd a lot! Looks good on the trophy shelf.

I am on a mission to find all of the disgruntled Fox Mustang and 3rd Gen Camaro guys with cars gathering dust - cars that will never see an SCCA race again - and encourage them to join me in Vintage Racing.

I'm sorry if this post causes major offense, but reality is that AS is going a completely different direction than I am. I wish all of you well, but it is just so blindingly obvious that the class is just on the cusp of another "Arms Race" with allowing motor/drivetrain upgrades to favored RP cars. Good luck with that.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 PM

"I am on a mission to find all of the disgruntled Fox Mustang and 3rd Gen Camaro guys with cars gathering dust - cars that will never see an SCCA race again - and encourage them to join me in Vintage Racing."

I am with you, looking forward to my first vintage race with my now vintage Fox Mustang here in Portland in July with SVRA. By the way, as I understand their rules, You must choose a rules set from a past year at least 5 years from current. That means to Fox cars it would be illegal to carry the 200 pound weight penalty!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Scott, every vintage organization seems to have different rules philosophy. CVAR (Texas-centric) pretty much asked me what the rules should be, so I chose the 2016 rules - pre weight penalty. I think you will find that the vintage guys don't seem to make that big a deal about the rules.

The great thing about having the Fox cars vintage eligible is that they'll be worth something again. In addition, the SVRA/HSR/CVAR etc groups get 200 cars to a race, with none of them being Spec Miats or Spec Racer Ford's (and I have nothing against either car or class). The point is that it's like an SCCA race from 1980 - lots of sedans and production cars that you don't see any more at an SCCA event. I'm old and nostalgic, but I like seeing these cars on track - and am looking forward to racing with the real A/Sedan cars.