Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > ASAC News

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mcdermid View Post
Completely agree with you Mark.

Ted, when are you coming back ?

When someone can point me to a readily available source for fp spec heads would be helpful before I would consider it

If not, then allow an affordable "competitive" alternative engine combination..

Such as
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150153
Old 02-25-2021, 12:09 PM

Chevy heads correct?
PM me and I'll get you a set.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
When someone can point me to a readily available source for fp spec heads would be helpful before I would consider it

If not, then allow an affordable "competitive" alternative engine combination..

Such as
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150153
So you don't like the proposed crate engine?

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19370604.html
Old 02-26-2021, 12:20 AM
Banned

Respectfully guys.

Andy. The point of any spec head is for anyone,newbie or otherwise to be able to order from any of the major distributers the required spec parts. It shouldn't be that you have to know someone hoarding the last of a discontinued item.

Tim

I think thats a great crate motor for asedan. Now if the rest of the full prep crowd are willing to detune to 404 hp and a maximum of 6000 rpm, you have my attention. Verified by chassis dynos at the track of course.

But I've already gone down the ls engine path and it's just too sweet to go back. Low end torque. 6000 rpm max. Easy on synchros in the gearbox. Low compression and 91 octane is almost overkill. Fuel injection compensating for most conditions. Very mild low duration cam specs for long lasting valve train.

I can now focus on taking Andy's advice and work on suspension development and chassis tuning, driver development and not stress as much about putting time on a high strung 8000 rpm engine with the thought of annual engine refreshes or the need of a second engine like Jim has for added piece of mind. Not an option for my budget.

The current crbs proposals and apparent massive outcry to the bod to reject those initiatives really shows a lack of interest by current competitor's to truly grow the class, with alternative "runoffs competitive" engine combinations. The collective has spoken.
And onlookers see this as well that a sedan will continue to be the class of high reving carbureted dinosaurs. Good or bad. RP cars are still second class participants for filling the field and not truly vying for a podium spot at the runoffs, without attrition taking out a top 5 full prep car

And while to many here these ideas are not welcomed, there are many silent lurkers who agree with ideas like this, that won't post up for the threat of being belittled or just flat ignored.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:24 AM

Racing is hard, no mater the class and rules. Those who want to race find a way.
Ted, I'm not hoarding cylinder heads or parts etc. I just offered to find you some so you could finally come out and race.

If you were at the track, your posts might carry more weight but....
Old 02-26-2021, 08:26 AM

For those who want change, PLEASE write letters !!! They do read and consider them . This is your/our club.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:44 PM

I think this discussion is getting pretty good. I'm going to throw this out to see how people feel. If we make the assumption that FP built engine is around 450 hp and FP crate engine is around 400 hp could weight be used to equalize the two? I'm not opposed to an FI crate engine for FP, the baseline hp would determine its weight as well.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM

Not sure why people think RP cars are not competitive. Drew almost won 2 in the last 5 years. Amy got 3rd in the first year of her new car. She will be faster this years I promise. Mike was running pointy end at Mid O and just got more power this year. The only car that is truly not competitive IMHO is anything with a 4.6 in it.

If I had to start over right now I would build a 4th gen RP car. No doubt about it. Of course I do have a gorgeous 5th gen Camaro waiting to become an AS car one day.

I think the FP motors have become very reliable as long as you treat them right. We did everything we could to blow one up last year with mis shifts and over revving and nope. The most damage we saw was when moisture built up in the spare and I was leaking oil like a monster at Mid Ohio.

Its my opinion that AS is at a really good place and just need to increase available packages before changing what is currently running.

Last year even with covid only 6 out 14 non spec closed wheel classes had more cars at the runoffs than us.

Why make changes to the existing cars maybe pissing off people competing versus be more enclusive and scoop up cars that are dropping from other classes like T2 and T1. Those American muscle cars are tired of getting beat up by 300k porsches and bmws. Figure out how to come make them play here.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 PM

PS. Our Runoffs video has more views than SM.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mcdermid View Post
Racing is hard, no mater the class and rules. Those who want to race find a way.
Ted, I'm not hoarding cylinder heads or parts etc. I just offered to find you some so you could finally come out and race.

If you were at the track, your posts might carry more weight but....
Again, Andy thank you for the offer but a spec piece should not be hard to find and not a worry that it may be replaced with again another spec piece that would require everyone to update to,. It would be another you have a choice, but if you want to keep up and competive there is only one choice. Like the eddy heads became. The iron heads were supposed to still be competitive. Are they?

Going forward this would not be the right time for a newbie to jump into the class with runoffs aspirations IMO. Sure inexpensive field filler builds can be built but what's the point?

So you have a hard sales pitch for growth of the class, which in light of the latest round of letter writing to the bod, to override the current crbs attempt at equalizing full prep to restricted prep performance, has some real strife going on behind the scenes.

I know how angry a crb can be when you write a letter to the bod. It doesn't sit well does it?

Another topic of discussion would be one of a/sedans little caveats

1. The competitiveness of any car in American Sedan shall not be guaranteed.

Thats a dangerous precedent when you have competitors in charge of the rules. While input of competitors is important, the final decision should not have that conflict of interest. In other words the final decision should be made by someone not racing in that particular class.

The current crb was about reduce the bias towards the full prep base car.

Interesting how uptight you got when that bias, was in jeopardy, and went to the bod to keep the bias towards full preps advantage in tact.

I thought this stuff was about us all coming out having fun with a real shot at winning at the highest level at the lowest price point that could be achieved.

I believe the current crb gets this, but circumvented by a scared of change collective, fearful of losing their advantage. Which dims the incentive to come back or new blood to come into a/s.
Closed Thread