Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Bedlam

Default T-10 Good or bad buy?

Below are 3 listings off the craigslist for T - 10 transmissions. Are they good buys and I need to look into these or past and better off looking else where??

Sorry, could not get photos to upload.

1st listing

GM Borg Warner T-10 4-speed - $300 (Kettering)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-10-30, 11:04PM EDT
Reply to: sale-fjm9h-2033561640@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coarse 10 spline, 3 ring input shaft casr iron case, Aluminum side cover and tail housing. Appears to be in good shape

2nd listing

Borg Warner Super T-10 4-speed - $400 (hamilton ohio)

Date: 2010-09-27, 10:28AM EDT
Reply to: sale-yqxnn-1975760222@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Borg warner 4-speed trans,has some linkage,good trans.513-3094069

3rd listing

GM Borg Warner Super T-10 4-speed - $550 (Kettering)

Date: 2010-10-30, 2:59PM EDT
Reply to: sale-qyjgw-2033545331@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1st design, coarse 10 spline, 1 ring input shaft. Coarse cut gears, cast iron main case. Aluminum side cover and tail housing. Fits 1968-1974 GM Vehicles. Approx 3,000 miles on rebuild. Excellent shape.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM

Chances are low that these will have the legal gear ratios for
an AS race car. I don't think the specific ratios needed for the T10
in AS are very common in T10s that were used in production
vehicles.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Plus the syncro and blocking rings are not the ones used for road racing. By the time you modify these for gears and syncro, and a good shifter, you could probally get a new unit out of Jegs.

be warned, Richmond Gear has limited supplies of parts for these units. Feel free to ask Pam Richardson about the Chinese gears she had to have modified.

There may be a few T-10's coming out on the market as some AS guys may be upgrading. I know if I get everything done that I will be using the new G-Force GT-4 trans at Sebring in just a few months.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM

I would recommend talking to Kevin Langston at The Gear Box. If anyone knows what a T10 core is worth it's him. thegearbox@aol.com

Mark
Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Default T-10 good or bad

Per Jeff's comment, I'll chime in. A T-10 can be just fine and will work. It requires knowledge of what the proper clearances are and how to get there. It also requires knowing what the pieces should look like and when you get parts that don't look right, you know it, and know how to fix it.

I spent years rebuilding my own T-10 with great success. 2010, that didn't work. All of a sudden, the parts weren't right and unfortunately, for me, I didn't know it. I couldn't figure out why, for a long time, all of a sudden our rebuilds weren't working right. It took me a LOT of money in 2010 (more than the cost of a new GT-4, BTW) to finally understand all the issues and how to fix them.

If I were going to buy a used T-10 at this point, I'd make sure it had the CC ratios to start with and I'd buy the lowest cost one I could find, realizing that mostly all I was getting was a box that would probably need a LOT of parts replaced.

If you don't have the knowledge up front, based on my experience, I'd recommend finding someone who does.

Pam Richardson
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamRichardson View Post
If you don't have the knowledge up front, based on my experience, I'd recommend finding someone who does.
Per what Mark said, that is Kevin Langston/The Gear Box. He has been the person that does our T-10s.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
John Rissberger

Here is a new one at Summit that works well for Reginal Racing.

If you are a National driver that goes to the whip and spurs and be damned with matching your R's when shifting then look at spending some $$$

Richmond Gear 7021540 - Richmond Gear Super T-10 Plus 4-Speed Transmissions
View Image and Compare
Compare
Transmission, Manual, Super T-10 4-Speed, GM, V8, Each

Part Number: RMG-7021540 More Detail …

Estimated Ship Date: 11/18/2010
Transaction$1,739.95 + Wish List Freight Charge

Last edited by John Rissberger; 11-04-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Bedlam

I never had any experience with a T-10. We always ran a muncie and still got 3 of those in the shop but, not legal for AS.

I think, I'll save my money and buy a built transmisson from one of the people you guy have listed. I just happen to see these on the craigslist quite often and nobody, seem to move them. I was wondering if, I was passing up on a good deal.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Greg
Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Default T-10 good or bad

I may be incorrect, but I believe that most of the places that do the work don't have extras lying around. They want to take what you have and rebuild it. Hence my comment about buying the cheapest thing you can find, make sure the case is intact, and send it to someone for a rebuild.

Just MHO, Pam Richardson
Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Bedlam

Pam,

Which is the better case to look for. Two of the transmissons I listed were cast iron cases and I am assuming these are not the ones to buy. I am familar with the muncies due, to we ran those in a late model however, I would not a T-10 from a super T-10 if, I was looking at both them.

Can you help a blind man to see

Thanks/Greg