Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Default At the risk of stirring up feces

Follow this link and read this post. it is about tires and tire costs. This is something the old Ad hoc discussed endlessly, with a lot of different proposals, but never came up with something that addressed FP v RP, different brands, etc.

This does just that. it is frankly Brilliant. it doesn't address every issue, but it covers most of them, and it is both simple, tech-able, and workable. Brand, compound, etc. are immaterial and are individual choice. Run A's all weekend knowing they will be off peak for race 2, or run R's knowing they will be down a bit for race one but better than the A's for race 2? Totally your choice.

I think it is a slick solution.

https://mazdaracers.com/topic/7178-tire-management/
Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM

I would support this right now. I really like the idea. Hoosier likely will not be happy as it will decrease their revenue but we need to do something like this. It takes 2 sets of A's per weekend at a cost of about $3,200. It is out of control.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Perhaps time for an old idea??

We did something very similar 20 years ago in karting and it worked pretty well.
In January, I proposed this to Blanchard of (the ASAC) and explained the process to him. He seemed a bit interested.
We, by agreement, use this now in our "MC" class here in northern Calif.
My plan was that tires were stamped with an inked rubber stamp after 1st qualifying session and that those tires had to be used for the race or race weekend. (different color ink or types of stamp for each weekend-Like a number or letter)
This allowed older tires to be used for practice sessions or for a competitor to scrub new tires during a practice or qualifying session. Flat spotted could be exchanged for used replacements, with a limit of one per session or race.

It may be a good direction to go--
Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Default also

As A side note: I wouldn't apply this to the Runoffs, (other than perhaps something like F1--fast lap quali tires used for the race)--
It is and should be a bring your best at whatever the cost event.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Yep this sounds familiar from karting, worked well there. I wrote basically this same recommendation in a letter in response to the "what do you think" request for input on tire rules a year or so ago.

I like it, there will never be a perfect solution so at least its a start.

The one issue with this is that most tire manufacturers recommend burnishing a sticker set of tires then letting them sit for 24hrs. This rule would not allow you to start a weekend with a sticker set and then let them sit between the first day's qualifying and race. I don't think that's a deal breaker, maybe if you want to burnish your tires / have them sit you do it in a non-tech'ed session before the event and run qualifying with burnished rather than sticker tires.

I also agree with leaving the Runoffs out of this. If Runoffs fell under this rule you would encourage people to run one lap qualifying lap over the 3 or 4 days then not run again to conserve tires for the race.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Default One set of tires per weekend!

A great idea, I fully support it
Old 06-07-2019, 05:35 PM

I was a part of the committee that originally proposed this idea and I am fully 100% in favor of this. Tires are just crazy money and we know the cheaper it is to play the more people will show up
Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM

I agree with the idea as well. Not perfect and spoils bringing several used sets to run, which I do a LOT. But it closes the gap, which is badly needed.

Anyone submit the idea to CRB? I'll be happy to do it but don't have the best writing skills and in the middle of moving.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:17 PM

I like the idea, but I would want to know if this action would change Hoosier's view of AS.

Would Hoosier drop or change their AS contingency program?
Would they stop their back door support for some guys (if it even exists)?
Would they stop making some of the tire sizes we need?

Depending on the yes vs no answers to the above questions, we could be fine or in worse shape than we are now.

Remember we are not SM. They have approximately 7 times the entries we do.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM

I haven't raced since the 2016 board decision to allow continued use of the "A" tires. So Hoosier hasn't sold me any tires.