Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
racerbob4

I used to pay the small extra amount to get the "old folks" GCR that was about twice as large as the current editions. It had larger type but more important to me was there was room on the sides of the pages to tape in the montly changes that came out in fasttrack. When they printed fasttrack in those days they did it in such a manner that it was easy to just cut out a piece about 2" long and was easy to tape in place next to the section that it applied to. Life was easier back then, why do they complicate things now. If the 30 minute to file a protest rule is still in place will people have time to do all the searching around and downloading to get the information needed.

The management of the club seems to be in a lets make money cycle, is that what you get when you promote the treasurer to the top job?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
King Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGTO View Post
Jeff,

I do agree with much of what you said except the following:

"SCCA sold us out to Safe Racer last year and I finished 2nd in my Division and 2nd at the Runoffs."

Nationwide, we are experiencing a terrible economy. I was pleased that Saferacer stepped up to the plate to do (something) for the club instead of the option which was nothing........and no sponsor. As tight as money is and businesses failing all over the US, it isn't like their were companies wanting to give away sacks full of cash and SCCA chose Saferacer over them. There wasn't anybody knocking down the door to sponsor us and Saferacer stepped up to the plate to do what they could.
I'd like to know what the SCCA national office got out of the deal, because there has to be more to the sponsorship than a $500 gift certificate to the points champion in each class. At least I hope there is, or I will have lost a lot of faith in the SCCA leadership.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:41 AM
dick patullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbob4 View Post
The management of the club seems to be in a lets make money cycle, is that what you get when you promote the treasurer to the top job?
I certainly have the advantage of access to more information than the average member so my take on this is very different. You are right, our president is a former finance guy. Management is very conscious of cost control and how any decisions we make affect the bottom line. As a result SCCA is operating with a small profit each year in what most would say is a pretty tough economy. Money is tight particularly with the auto manufacturers but due to careful management we as a club are in the black and we have signed a number of new sponsors. Saferacer, Mobil One and Gumout are all new sponsors that contribute to the cost of running our club. Every dollar from those deals is one less dollar out of our (the drivers and members) pockets.

The cost of printing and mailing paper GCR’s is a fair piece of change. If we can save the cost for printing those for the guys who really do not need them then that is money that can be used to beef up the tech department or the marketing department which might be a better use. I certainly wish my license renewal cost me less but I know if we were not as cost conscious as we are or if we did not have the contributions of great sponsors like Saferacer it would cost me more it would cost more.

By the way speaking of costs please fill out the survey on page 89 of the November Sportscar. Our current contacts for the magazine and the website are coming up for renewal and if our members want something different in the way we communicate to them this will be the time to address it.

Dick Patullo
Area One Director