Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Default no Air Card here

Call me Old School, but I just paid $10 for a printed GCR earlier today because it's a lot less expensive than paying a monthly wireless internet fee for my laptop. Although I use wireless internet at home, the tracks that I go to don't have public Wi-Fi and at some tracks I barely get a cell phone signal.

I know there will be a number of GCR updates throughout the year. I also know that seemingly 99% of the GCR won't change. Some months there are AS-related updates, some months not. For 2010 the grand total of all the AS changes through today take up just over 2 pages in the online Master Tech Bulletin ( http://www.scca.com/documents/Club%2...20Fastrack.pdf pages 24-26).

I thought the spiral bound version of the GCR that came out last year was a great idea because you can leave the book open to any page and it won't self-close like the old bound versions did. I just print the AS Fastrack summary before a race weekend, put the update page inside the spiral bound book, and take the book to the track.

If I want to look up something in the GCR on a race weekend it's almost always at the track and almost never at the hotel. So for me the printed GCR makes a lot more sense than the online version.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Bill,
I must admit, I do it almost exactly the way you do.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Default pick one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
Bill,
I must admit, I do it almost exactly the way you do.
I thought you said everyone threw them in a drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
....... the printed GCR, which everyone will throw in a drawer, since they are immediately obsolete.
wheel
I guess the point is that 'on paper' (no pun intended) the online GCR seems to make a lot of sense, but in reality there are a lot of people that use the printed version very successfully. Sometimes because the online version is either inaccessible or impractical. (I chased around the paddock for over an hour once trying to find someone that had internet access to the online GCR, and you can pretty much forget about anyone having a printer if you need to take the GCR to tech or someone who doesn't have a computer.)

But back to Jeff's point, I guess it's not the first time the SCCA increased dues/fees and reduced services. They got my dues increase plus my additional $10 for the printed GCR.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Bill,
Almost everyone does throw them in a drawer. I don't, because not a weekend goes by that I am not asked about some rule, or other. I spend the time keeping it up to date because I have dedicated much of my time to the sport, not just to ASedan. That being said, it makes no sense to print them for everyone, when the printed version has no real effect at the race track. You can present a printed GCR to the tech crew and they cannot use it to determine compliance.
I cannot tell you how many times someone has relied on the printed GCR, only to find out that the rules have changed. Take the winner of the ARRC, last weekend, in one of the SM classes. He was DQ'd for being 20 pounds under weight, because he looked at the printed version.
wheel
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 PM

No need to have internet at the track, just download the latest version to a flash drive, and keep it with your laptop. Ain't technology grand

Andy
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 AM

Have the rules changed on what we're technically required to bring to the track? Aren't we required to have a copy of the GCR and a service manual for our cars to be compliant? Is this still the rule?

Mark
Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 AM

We are not required to have either, as far as I know.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM

I can offer a couple of points of clarification.

You are not required to have a GCR with you at the track. However, in signing an entry form, you agree to be bound by the GCR and event supps, so it is a good idea to have them to hand.

I understand that many people prefer paper. I am one of them. As others have pointed out, the current online version of the GCR is the official one. The printed and bound edition is out of date almost immediately.

However, for most people's purposes, the front of the book (the Sporting Regulations) doesn't change significantly during the year. The back of the book (class specs) changes from month to month. Ordinarily, a competitor should be fine if he/she brings the printed GCR, plus the portion of the current Technical Bulletin (the compendium of class revisions) which applies to their category/class.

One poster complained about the small print. On the screen, you can get around this by tweaking the percentage parameter (top center) in Adobe Reader. If you print anything, select "Fit to printable area" or "Fit to page" in your printer options. This will expand the image to fit your letter-size paper.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
ASGTO

There is a printed off "current" version with the chief steward at each event that is available to each competitor at anytime. I used to read thru the parts of the GCR that pertained to my class each year. Now I just read it on line, keep up with and read each issue of Fastrack that pertains to my class and print off the few pages that to apply to myself and my car to keep with me. Also there is are many lap tops available in timing and scoring if you don't have one or bring one with you.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM
ASGTO

Jeff,

I do agree with much of what you said except the following:

"SCCA sold us out to Safe Racer last year and I finished 2nd in my Division and 2nd at the Runoffs."

Nationwide, we are experiencing a terrible economy. I was pleased that Saferacer stepped up to the plate to do (something) for the club instead of the option which was nothing........and no sponsor. As tight as money is and businesses failing all over the US, it isn't like their were companies wanting to give away sacks full of cash and SCCA chose Saferacer over them. There wasn't anybody knocking down the door to sponsor us and Saferacer stepped up to the plate to do what they could.

I do understand how you feel about finishing second and not getting much of anything, but that is the times we live in, not SCCA or Saferacer's fault.

Congrats on your second place finish. Heck of a drive!