Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
KKennedy717

Default Need help w/ AS "limited prep" rules

Is there a "faq" available anywhere that would highlight what "limited prep" means in the real world. Looking for data points on the following areas - what changes are allowed in the areas of suspension, air filtration/induction, exhaust and wheel/tires sizes. Frankly, trying to decipher GCR is challenging for a new guy. Just trying to understand what it takes to keep my car within spec for the class.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Default The basics

Your engine and transmission must be totally stock, as per the Touring rules. You cannot add cold air induction. Any openings in the hood must be blocked off.
You may add an open exhaust, as per the regular rules. You must retain the stock exhaust manifolds.

You may change all of your stock suspension, except the front and rear lower control arms. Although you can change the bushing in the control arms. All bushings are free, as long as they are at least as dense as stock. Heims, poly, etc. are all legal on all parts of the suspension.
Pickup points, on the chassis MUST NOT be relocated. This goes for springs and shocks. There are a lot of specific suspension things mentioned in the AS specifications. They all apply to the limited prep cars, as well as the full prep cars.
You may use either the stock brakes (with antilock disconnected) and the wheel sizes listed on your ASedan spec line, OR, you may use the ASedan brakes (any four piston calipers front and rear). If you upgrade the brakes, you have to run the same size wheels as the rest of us. 16 x 8.

Any other questions?
Just ask.
wheel

Last edited by jimwheeler; 11-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Jim, I thought the Limited Prep Cars had to run stock exhaust manifolds?

Can I put on Headers??

Dean
Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM

You are correct. Stock manifolds. The header deal was discussed, but it didn't pass. Sorry for the bad information. I lost track of it somewhere. I think there was a problem with tubing sizes, among other things.

The latest GCR allows "Any final drive ratio and LSD permitted."

wheel

Last edited by jimwheeler; 11-10-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM
ASGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKennedy717 View Post
Is there a "faq" available anywhere that would highlight what "limited prep" means in the real world. Looking for data points on the following areas - what changes are allowed in the areas of suspension, air filtration/induction, exhaust and wheel/tires sizes. Frankly, trying to decipher GCR is challenging for a new guy. Just trying to understand what it takes to keep my car within spec for the class.
Since I built and ran the first and only limited prep AS car...........what are you thinking about building/ running?

Glad to have you.

Chris
Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGTO View Post
Since I built and ran the first and only limited prep AS car...........what are you thinking about building/ running?

Glad to have you.

Chris
His avatar looks like a Gen 4 camaro, so probably an LS1 based Gen 4 fbody.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Not the Only One!

Chris,

I also have a limited Prep A/S car (as seen in the avatar) Which ran in 1 National this year--(By my son) and which I ran in 2 regional's last September.
Also Evan ran his car--(the sister car to mine) in at least 2 nationals this year.

The more the better!!

Dean
Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
KKennedy717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGTO View Post

Glad to have you.

Chris
My current car is an 03 Mustang GT w/4.6 V8 w/ F/I. The car came from the NASA CMC series where it was run a few times. Full race car w/ cage and all safety gear. Motor is stock and brakes are stock but the issues I see are 1) exhaust terminates at the back wheels - 2) interior is stripped to bare floor, front and back - 3) currently has 17x9 wheels and 4) the front suspension has been changed to coil overs. Is it possible/logical to run this car in AS? Any advice/direction is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKennedy717 View Post
My current car is an 03 Mustang GT w/4.6 V8 w/ F/I. The car came from the NASA CMC series where it was run a few times. Full race car w/ cage and all safety gear. Motor is stock and brakes are stock but the issues I see are 1) exhaust terminates at the back wheels - 2) interior is stripped to bare floor, front and back - 3) currently has 17x9 wheels and 4) the front suspension has been changed to coil overs. Is it possible/logical to run this car in AS? Any advice/direction is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi--Welcome--

It would seem other than the coilovers (unless the stock config.) and possibly
the wheels (are they the stock size?) you would be ok--but check the TCS
(Touring Category Specs) in the current GCR (found online) for the specs you would be held to.

Dean
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
ASGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsmith1 View Post
His avatar looks like a Gen 4 camaro, so probably an LS1 based Gen 4 fbody.
my avitar used to be a lady in a bathing suit and then it was a cute puppy. I am neither a cute lady nor a puppy. haha.