Thread: My week
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Default My week

I started the week with a very ill handling car. After talking to Alex, Andy's suspension guru, I took eight clicks out of the rebound and three clicks out of compression on the rear shocks. The car responded and the terminal oversteer went away. Other than adding a quart of oil, and changing tires, I did nothing to the car the rest of the week.
On the grid I went through the check list and tested the brake pressure front to rear. Normally, I go to 800 lbs front, which gives 600 rear. When I pushed on the pedal, it went 2/3 rds of the way to the floor and I couldn't get more than 200 psi front pressure while the rear went to 600. For the whole race I had to start pumping the brakes half way down the straights to get enough pressure to slow down. One of the passes I made, going into T4 was because the car just wouldn't slow down. After the first lap issue in T6, Sloe came from the back. He attempted to pass on the outside of T7 and clobbered my right front, dropping me way back from a 6-car dice I had going. My video is clear that I gave him way more track than he needed, but he chopped me off and caused the impact. This is clearly in violation of 6.11.1 -A,B,C,D (page 65)
Later in the race I spun between 8 and 9 when the pedal went to the floor. This dropped me back by five spots.
When Sloe came up to lap me, with 2 laps to go, he caught me at the Keyhole. Again, I gave him the inside apex and stayed on the normal line down the back straight. He had three car widths to the right, but chose to drive directly into my right front wheel, turning his wheel so the contact was his tire to my wheel and fender. After the hit, my video shows him driving straight down the back stretch. He slowed past the green flag station, flipped me off and then proceeded to stop and wait for Andy.
After the race I protested his two contacts, mainly because the second one was clearly intentional and punitive. Since I did not down load my video, the court, rightly, dis-allowed my protest. After seeing my video I could have appealed, and I believe the appeal would have been upheld. I did not appeal because by then I learned of the multiple ROAs of his assault of Andy.
When Andy appealed the lack of severity of the 12 month suspension (which is all that could be done at the event), I testified again and made my video available to the CoA. The CoA will compile all of the information and videos and will make a recommendation for further sanctions.

P.S. When I got in the car on Friday night, to show Carl Bush, the Wilwood man, the pressure issue, the brakes were perfect. I am guessing that there was a mechanical binding in the balance shaft or the push rod into the front master cylinder.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 09-28-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: adding info