Thread: SMG in AS?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Onward into the past

Hi, Pam and all,

Well, it now appears that the new direction for A Sedan has been set after exhaustive discussion and input from all the stakeholders in AS, i.e. the drivers and car owners. Somehow I missed all that but I'm sure it's archived somewhere.

As a 70+ year old just out for fun in a RP Camaro this year, the classifying of SMG and their rule set into AS doesn't really matter to me. But as being a member of the one region in the USA where the cars actually run I've followed them with interest since the class inception. It's a great class with a specific rule set to make a fun race car at a specific price point. My personal opinion is that their current rules/prep renders them faster than AS.

We'll find out as the year progresses, but I don't expect the pre-Runoffs results to really give an indication of what they might do. How many times have we seen newly classed cars sandbag the year, barely qualify, and then rise from the ashes of mid pack like a Phoenix to dominate the race.

As a point of interest and comparison here are the lap race records for both classes in the San Francisco Region:

Sonoma AS Runoffs: 1:50.345
Sonoma SMG 1:46.793

Laguna Seca AS Runoffs: 1:38.898
Laguna Seca SMG: 1:38.639

Thunderhill AS: 2:01.647
Thunderhill SMG: 1:58.263

As I said..it'll be an interesting Runoffs. Andy...have you started your SMG/AS build yet?. And I'll bet that an SMG/AS wins the Runoffs this year.