PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point (8/12) Regional... Not your ordinary race...

PamRichardson
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Danny ran my AS car yesterday in the MARRS series race at Summit. Very unusual and stressful race. All turned out ok, but it was a real mess.

About 5 laps into the race, the lead GT1 car came to the bridge. DC Region has a light system there, and the supps outline how those lights will be used. Solid yellow is local yellow, two flashing yellows is FCY, and they have a red with flashing yellows on either side for debris. The GT1 car (approaching at probably 140 mph) theoretically saw the debris system, but it turns out, he says he only saw red. So he rounds the corner, arm out the window, and stops on the front straight, almost at pit out. No red flags anywhere, so here comes the field. I think most everyone had radios because we got all the cars slowed down and stopped and no one hit each other. Then people started to realize there was no red flag so the scramble to get moving again happened.

Quite a few cars way overheated, cars in the middle or back of a race suddenly were in the lead. As far as I know (very qualified statement) everyone was VERY startled and couldn't believe it was happening. I've asked the chief steward to listen to the audio tapes in the tower to find out what happened there.

Our car overheated, we brought Danny in, checked things out, started the motor up and sent Danny back out. He did fine, turning the fastest race lap in 95+ degree heat at at 1:26, but lost 4-5 laps in the pits and ended up 6th in class.

It is my understanding that DC Region will be re-visiting the idea of having a red light at 10 for debris. I heard one person say that the red bulb should just be removed. The supps do say that the red light there will never be used to stop a race. I passed along to some of my steward colleagues that at 140 mph, you see red, you stop...

I'm sure this will be reviewed for a while.

Pam Richardson
AS #15 Camaro

jimwheeler
08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Pam,
Thanks for the report. I can understand why he stopped and really can't understand why there would be a red light involved in anything except a race stopping situation. You are right, when you see red, you pull over. Can't they put blue in there, if a debris flag is really required?
Jim

PamRichardson
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Jim --

Don't know what DC Region will decide but I am confident it will be something different. One of my comments was that at 140 mph, all we see is flashes and red would stick out to our eyes way more than flashing yellows.

Blue might be an issue, blue and yellow is the overtaking flag. I think the best thing to do is no red bulb, and ensure that red flags are used at the instruction of the tower.

But, what they decide will be up to them, Pam

jimwheeler
08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Pam,
You're right about the overtaking colors, and yellow and red are the right colors. But I agree, if you happened to catch a glimpse, just as it flashed from yellow to red, you wouldn't have time to do see it flash back again.
It's good that the only real damage was a few overheating cars.
Jim

PamRichardson
08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, all 30 or so of the group cars are VERY fortunate!

Pam