3- J post 2;10;709
4- M Cowles2;11;944
5- J trapani 2;12;627
6-S hynes 2;12;209
7- r Stickler 2;13;033
8- r Labaron 2;14;008
9- Jerry Bartolomucci 2;18;12
10- Pam Richardson 2;25;790

Word was that top 4 were running the A Hoosier compound,?
5th was rinning C50 Hankooks for the first time, 6th Hoosiers
7 th had GY on,
Not sure what Monte C had on,

As for a spec tire, i vote C-50 Hankooks, my car was a blast to drive,
maybe tires will last 4 races, but it take a good setup,smooth, and not over powering, to make the car work and the way to drive
the C-50.s hankooks, think maybe a second more with proper setup.but not as fast as the soft H's

Guess you can use A Hoosiers and buy a set a race,,,, it's
Like the old days of A/S, but there not kicking in to us
If you want to run it that hard and wear everything out after 3 weeks,
use the soft stuff,
BUT than thats what racing is.
Cubic dollars,
Think there was some good racing in all the field,
I didn't see many bent up stuff, and HEADs were on good of the A/S drivers,
not like the GT-1 and GT-2 between the A/S drivers racing for no places,
but frigen our race up.:cheers:

I'd seed every one a disc , of the race, and leaders were in site most of the time, but ,,'''someone didn't hold the record button long enough, so it didn't tape,
First thing i said was to flop the window out on the vcr and make sure it flips to red, close the hatch than,
Ya no, there always in a hurry doing nothing, and he just turned it on and hit rec,
to quick, well the pay isn't the best, so, what the hay,

Guess that is how i'll fix thing for them if they ask,
poke it and run,
.not reaLLY,

Tired, but still unloading ,
Someone will cime in on the start and restart,
beat me up,
well bring a big stick,lol

BUT , i think there was some good safe, racing going on?
T

jimwheeler
07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Joe,
Good report. Do you mean those guys ran the race on A's or just qualified on A's?
wheel

Talladega
07-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Word was that Hoosier gave the OK to run the soft/autoX compound for the race,
Reason is that the track was long enough between corners that the tires would cool or not over heat, and not go away by the end of the race,
Also with the ''noted'' 4 lap cautions at WGI bets were good they would get one
and cool the tires back down, and i think it worked,

I stayed in the front 5-6 A/S pack till the restart that was crazy if you fell back a little and didn't have anyone watching the Green Flag,
I looked through the trees on last corner and saw it waving, but front group and guys with a good radio person were gone before way before the last corner,
Alot of time could be made up going into the ''kink/bus stop'',
And if someone finds the times on MYLAPS it would be intresting to see how and if the times fell off for the race
I would bet fast times were set on or near the restart .

JH was about 2.5 sec ahead of K Smith, and JP about 2 sec. back from KS
Than the pain in the ass GT-2 car, that was one sec. behind JP or
5.5 sec.
Than MC about 19 sec back from JH and JT about 1.1 behind MC or 20.1 behind JH.

Next pack was S Hynes/R Stickter/R Labaron and KL was in there but broke towards the end,this group was about 10 sec behind me and Monty or
about 30 sec behind JH.
There was 17 A/S reg and 13 showed up.

I had alot of constant laps in the 2;12;600/800s and for what i had on for tires I really did have a blast driving them, as i always do at WGI.
I think if i would of used my GYs i could of been in the front group,and top 3
But chose to try a diffrent tire, maybe the Hankook C-51 next time or there
C-70, becouse i was pretty easy on the C-50s from what they looked like after the race,
Im not running for points this year so it;s my learning time.
We also got 13 laps in in a 14 lap race , 3 i think under caution.
T

t4wallace
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Note: This portion of the thread moved here for bookkeeping purposes.

Anyone know why did Lavigne not take the start?

Nice job Kristian.

Talladega
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks TW for cleaning my bookwork up,
Mike L rumor was Mike was using his back up motor, same as MC,
Mike and i ran together in first Qual. period, don't recall if i saw him in second Q,
But they split the Qual up with the GT-1s going the first 15 min and everyone else sitting on pit lane for 20+ min.and than going out and getting only 3 laps in in the second Q ual.
It was again blacked flaged and than some went out for 1 more lap,
None of the drivers were asked about approving this , the stewarts just did it.
Maybe had something to do with Paul N being there? in GT-1?

I no i just about fell asleep waiting for the GT-1s to finish, as we were sitting in the 80+ temps and that was after we sat on the start grid first with a 20 min /5 min warning, seems they didn't no a guardrail needed to be fixed prior
to giving the 5 min warning.So the 5 min warning was 20 min.

And according to the GCR if we are to have a 25 min Qual period we should get one, unless approved with the drivers, before hand.
but it's SCCA.

Oh well,about the only thing i saw in the race that surprised me , was on the restart , i was between turn 1-2 and looked in mirror and saw KL sliding
way out on turn one and passing about 5 cars, when he came back on the track, but think shortly after that he broke his panhard bar,,
JH broke a L/S axle in the second Q in A/S and had it fixed for the race,
T

jimwheeler
07-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Who the hell is KL?

socalta
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
That would be Kermit Ledbush ... world famous stealth driver of the number 000

now you see him ... now you don't

Dawson Motorsports
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Wheel, it's a JT thing or a Taladega thing. Nubby fingers and all.
Oh buy the way T, are you trying to sell the bike you wrecked at Mid-ohio that night after a party, or did you just bury it?
Chuck:cheers:

Talladega
07-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Sorry Jim, i realise that the other divisions don't no the KL-MC-ML
MC-Monty Cowels
KL Kelly Lubash
JT Joe Trapani
JH - Jon Heinricy
KS Kristin Smith
JP - Jerry Post
SH-Steve Hynes
RS-Rich Stichter
RL /RL jr- Ron Lebaron/jr
PM- Pam Richardson
ML-BC(Big Carb) Mike Lavine( don't think he had the trick carb on ) only busting you Mike, and you no me , rattle that cage,Joe,,lol.
Missed what and were Mike might have been in the race,if things for him were right. His spare motor was on par with my good one , and his handling
was on par with my chevy, in first Qual. we ran a bunch of laps together.

Tom Brown blowed a motor and had a turkey party sat night,
NL-Nathan Hamllsch blowed one also as he told me on the grid,reason he wasn't racing.
TA- Tom Aquilante didn't race becouse of a rod noise,
About the only other thing i saw was JP pulled over after the race still in car talking with stewarts?
Maybe about the GT-1 and GT-2 cars racing each other holding us up?????
Them 2 cars seem to always be gridded near us and way off of were they should be running,
They do go like hell till they get to the corners, and than there in our way ,
lap after lap,
T

Talladega
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Wheel, it's a JT thing or a Taladega thing. Nubby fingers and all.
Oh buy the way T, are you trying to sell the bike you wrecked at Mid-ohio that night after a party, or did you just bury it?
Chuck:cheers:

I didn't crash the mini trail, just took both lanes to get it home, but that was after i had to stop 2 time to put the fire out on my seat of it, cuz of that
''dam Chilie'' loved every min of it!!!:laughing:
Maybe i did crash the door down of the shitter with it , parked it on top of the thron, cuz i was seeing 2 of everything,,,lol( only kidding) :cheers:

Glad you rattled the cage,
Everyone no's i don't have the ball's anymore to race, and only one tooth also, so i can't see what im saying,,,,,:laughing:

But im alive and rattling your cage,,:ciao:

Joe T

Smitty
07-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Just got back home after a long tow home and a longer stay at the Canadian border.... Geez.

Okay... just to clear up a few things...

JH did qualify on the A compound tire.. ran a solid 2:09

I ran R compounds all weekend long... its what I had.. and that place is easy on tires compared to most tracks in our area...

I dont know about any one elses start... but we were foot to the floor before the green even came out...

Lavigne didnt run because he hurt his backup motor... developed a vibration and low oil pressure.. not a good combo...

There was a lot of passing going on between JH, myself, Monte, and Jerry Post... sometimes changing a couple times a lap. (I started 5th, got into the lead on the first lap, by the time we came around to the start finish I was 3rd). I have to say that it was great to have some fun with my East Coast buddies...

All in all... a fun weekend.. although the $250 for the test day (having never raced there before) and only getting 13 laps... was a bit pricey. Also, I am not used to having a black flag situation every time a car dies on a track, but I understand it is Watkins Glen policy to do so because of the lack of runoff...

We had brake issues early in the weekend... and chased it all the way to the race.. fortuneately... the pedal only got spongy... and did not go totally away....

This was a dream come true... I have wanted to run the Glen for years, and we decided to finally make the trip... Saturday was my birthday so it was my present to myself and from my family who also came along...

It will be a long time till we forget about this one.... :clap:

Kristian Smith

Talladega
07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Im happy you made the trip, and for puting your 2 cents in,,,,KS,lol
Would like to hear more,about WGI !!
All i saw on you was a ''smile'' . alot is said on were you placed,:cheers:
kool
T

Talladega
07-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Just got back home after a long tow home and a longer stay at the Canadian border.... Geez.

Okay... just to clear up a few things...

JH did qualify on the A compound tire.. ran a solid 2:09

I ran R compounds all weekend long... its what I had.. and that place is easy on tires compared to most tracks in our area...

I dont know about any one elses start... but we were foot to the floor before the green even came out...

Lavigne didnt run because he hurt his backup motor... developed a vibration and low oil pressure.. not a good combo...

There was a lot of passing going on between JH, myself, Monte, and Jerry Post... sometimes changing a couple times a lap. (I started 5th, got into the lead on the first lap, by the time we came around to the start finish I was 3rd). I have to say that it was great to have some fun with my East Coast buddies...

All in all... a fun weekend.. although the $250 for the test day (having never raced there before) and only getting 13 laps... was a bit pricey. Also, I am not used to having a black flag situation every time a car dies on a track, but I understand it is Watkins Glen policy to do so because of the lack of runoff...

We had brake issues early in the weekend... and chased it all the way to the race.. fortuneately... the pedal only got spongy... and did not go totally away....

This was a dream come true... I have wanted to run the Glen for years, and we decided to finally make the trip... Saturday was my birthday so it was my present to myself and from my family who also came along...

It will be a long time till we forget about this one.... :clap:

Kristian Smith

Happy Birthday KS,
My brakes were like that to, reason was , after the long straights we bleed the vac. from the booster(not really we just didn't make enough to make pressure to calapers right, and )after long WFO we wack the peddle and there is only 8 psi of vac in there , and it just wont stop us constantly,

We need race m/c and peddle assy , so we just drive um,lap after lap,,

Yea , i no beat me up, and get your stick,
Ya no , theory and math is always the same,
lap after lap,what it should do and what they,(A/S cars) do is 2 diffrent things,

Nothing like, doing 140 mph and sticking your left foot down to slow you and it renigs,, so you wait and get back on the gas to get you out of it,
if anyone no's what i mean,
one lap you got um next yor sailing through it , saying wow, .

Glad you spent the time to race/travel/felt what we do in the Northeast.
RO's should be at WGI

TW get your club out i need it,
And while im here, we need a spec tire,,,,,,,,,,
WGI tells me , if we had one HP only can hurt you,,,,
T

koscieldrk
07-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow what a weekend and Congratulations to Kristian on his Great run. From another perspective and crewing for Steve Hynes. Car ran great all weekend without any major problems. Steve qualified 5th and had the outside at the start behind the lowly and slowly GT1 car. Going into 1 he might as well have come to a stop! Steve was hard on the brakes and had to use the runoff area in one to avoid any kind of mishap. This allowed a whole line of AS cars to work there way by going up the hill and over the tunnel, by this time he was 13th. Steve slowly worked his way back through the field, working his way back up to a 6th place finish. This was with a lot of hard work trying to get around Kelly Lubash on the last lap and only finishing about a fender ahead of Kelly at the Finish. This is one of the times that I miss having my car, as Steve let me do some laps in his car during the Lunch break behind the pace car. The in car camera of Steve working his way back up through the field was really cool. The Glen is an awesome track. Again Great Job by all the competitors. The drive home was nerve racking as the motor home kept having issues, finally got it sorted out in Cleveland, only took us 24hrs to go 450 miles. Oh Yeah! Steve was on GoodYears.

t4wallace
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
You know, I like Joe's abbreviation system. It's clearer than what they do for F1 and the German Touring Car races.

Nice job Steve.

I'm jealous of all those that made the trip. It's on the list of things to conquer.

Sounds like qual. was goofy.

Kristian -- Happy B-Day.

For those that came from MI., How long was the tow?

TW

Jerry Post
07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
The Stewards pulled me over to ask if the GT 28 passed me under yellow. He passed both me and KS but gave us our spots back so no harm no foul. I told the Stewards to go pound sand as usual. The GT 28 made it a four car AS race at the front and block JT and MC for awhile, I had to watch GT 28, KS and JH. KS had the most HP, JH the least but JH doesn't make any mistakes and drives great defensive and still rules a fast lap. KS drove a great race and almost had him.

This one is over, on to the next one. :cheers:

koscieldrk
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Tom,

8 to 9 hrs through the States 9 to 11 through Canada. We had a 1 1/2 wait at the Border going into NY. If you calculate our drive time coming back minus all the stops for problems it was 9 hrs to White Lake.

jimwheeler
07-17-2007, 10:25 AM
So that would be about 20 hours from Kansas City. Mmmm, that's doable.
Maybe next year.
wheel

BMiller
07-17-2007, 10:34 AM
So GMs took the top 3 and 4 out of top 5?

Jerry Post
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
No.

1st Pro Driver doesn't count.

2nd Ford

3rd GM

4th Ford

5th GM.

Close to a push, but I can't wait until next year when we get the aluminum heads and lift. Skip the restrictor plate a bad idea.

jimwheeler
07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Close to a push, especially when a couple of the top Fords had mechanical issues. I think the weight might be working.

BMiller
07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
No.

1st Pro Driver doesn't count.

2nd Ford

3rd GM

4th Ford

5th GM.

Close to a push, but I can't wait until next year when we get the aluminum heads and lift. Skip the restrictor plate a bad idea.

AGREE ON ALL ACCOUNTS! And I mean all (especially the aluminum head rule with no RP). I just hope the no port/polish stays put. Off to Road Atlanta this weekend. :thumbsup:

Tim White
07-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Unfortunately I think the restrictor plate is key to making this work without killing the class. Not everybody is going to be able to make the modifications during the off-season thus something has to be done to keep the current engines competitive. There is also the advantage of being able to change the restrictor plates giving them another means to even things out in the future. I can definitely see where they are coming from.

koscieldrk
07-17-2007, 01:08 PM
There was a rumor going around at the Glen on Test Day that there was an AS Camaro testing a restrictor plate engine. Anybody know for sure if this was really the case.

PamRichardson
07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I also ran a set of them and agree with everything Joe said. Even the average racer (like me) could tell a HUGE difference between them and my former GYs. I had even run qual 1 on a new set of GYs from last year (they had been unscuffed lying in bags in my basement). I picked up 2 seconds in the race on the Hankooks and know there is a LOT more. I was incredibly pleased with how they did not "dance" around. They were very solid and when you pushed them harder, they just seemed to grip more!

We weren't sure on pressures for setting, but I would be interested in chatting with Joe T on that one.

We'll have my son drive them at Summit for the regional in August and get another view. I plan to try to drive a practice session there on Friday with them.

With no Kumhos in sight between here and Korea, we are looking strongly to move! I even sent a letter to Kumho asking where the tires are, especially since Danny (my son) has $600 on file in Kumho bucks with Tire Rack. So far, no response.

If you go to teamhankook.com, you can get info on who has them.

First shot out of the box, I was very impressed.

Pam Richardson

jimwheeler
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
There were restrictor plates there, but they were not tested, due to engine problems. This is second hand, but I think it is accurate.
wheel

Talladega
07-17-2007, 11:10 PM
There were restrictor plates there, but they were not tested, due to engine problems. This is second hand, but I think it is accurate.
wheel

Anyone look at mylaps .com????
Alot to say about tires and RPs
Tires were my own doing , if i had anything to do with RP, they won't of burned down,mayby think about a diffrent carb,,and not RP
let us port the 416/081 on the 305
use RP and a spec head /carb
for the 302 ford /chevy with aftermarket or port'd
gt-40 head.
Spec a tire,
Doing this would make times like SRF,
and may the best man win,

ok TW get me,,,lol
Lap Lead Lap Tm Gap Diff Speed
1 1 2:17.961 5.334 88.721
2 2 2:13.150 -4.811 0.523 91.926
3 3 2:13.547 0.397 0.920 91.653
4 4 2:25.004 11.457 12.377 84.411
5 5 2:49.052 24.048 36.425 72.404
6 6 3:16.396 27.344 1:03.769 62.323
7 7 2:12.649 -1:03.747 0.022 92.274
8 8 2:12.864 0.215 0.237 92.124
9 9 2:12.797 -0.067 0.170 92.171
10 10 2:12.627 -0.170 Best lap 92.289
11 11 2:13.440 0.813 0.813 91.727
12 13 2:14.268 0.828 1.641 91.161
13 14 2:14.883 0.615 2.256 90.745

Think a softer spring and some driving would peak at 1/2 to 1 sec faster with the hankooks,, but not get worse , seems they reach there peak and ''just stay there''
im fhinking 4-5 races,,, (yea TW fthinking) no type o
I think the last 2 laps or so MC and i ran into the GT-2
I can say it was the best driving ,being smooth,constant,and laughing
racing them tires, i had in sometime, they wern't the fastest, but maybe they were the most fun to drive!!!!

Seems the easest way to limit alot of things,money can buy,is
With a spec tire and the fields would be to close for comfert,,for some,
T

Smitty
07-17-2007, 11:20 PM
As for the tow... going thru Canada... it took us 9 1/2 hours @ 65mph and with 1 1/2 of those hours spend at the border. Mom and Dad Smith chose to go thru the states... 7 hrs and 50 minutes.. @ 70mph and +30 miles but no borders... and they said it was a beautiful ride thru Pennsylvania/New York... Sorry but Ohio is Ohio...:ciao:

I talked to Tom Brown and he said he was trying a restrictor.. but it wasn't going well... something about the first one he tried hit the butterflies...

Thanks to the East Coast guys for their hospitality and clean racing... You made it worth the trip....

As for the track... holy crap does it have some elevation changes... and it is faaaaaasssst!... Seriously... if anyone is considering making the trip, its a beautiful ride... and the track is awesome.. very smooth... Do it.

I will be back... I just dont know when...

Kristian Smith

smithpr
07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
The Glen sounds like a blast. I will need to get up there. I am just trying to figure out the best why to get 200 laps. Which seems to be what I need to go fast.:confused:

A/S will never be like SRF. This is a class about preparing cars and making them fast. Sorry but that has been the history and right now people do not want to change that.

That's what I love and hate about this class. I love finding solutions to problems. I do not like spending $14,000 on 305 iron headed lumps. I like great shocks and the ability to change springs and bars. I like my data system.

Nothing is ever perfect. Like when I ran a 2:31.5 and thought I had the pole at the Sprints this year and then with one lap to go Sloe Runs 2:29.3. Almost perfect but I still have a lot to learn.

In a nut shell that is what we seem to be about in this class.

Philip