View Full Version : Hpt National

jimwheeler
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Saturday Qualifying
Wheeler 1:56.879
Watkins 1:57.933
Bettinger 2:02.700
Kopp 2:03.147

Kyle and I both had fresh, zero time, engines still with the petroleum break in oil. The track was also pretty dirty, with oil and dust and not a lot of rubber.

On the Sunday warm-up, Jim Lynch in a T1 Viper came out of the pits, at about 25 mph, in front of Kyle, who was on a flyer lap and Lynch drove into the side of Kyle at turn 1. Kyle's left rear tire blew and the wheel was destroyed. They porta-powered the rear fender out and made the starting grid.

I got a great start, but missed the 2nd/3rd shift. I got by Kyle later that lap, but he was back in front by the end of the lap and just drove off, at about a second or two per lap. That was pretty much the race. Jeff Kopp had engine problems, and was waaaay down on power, but Ted Johnson said it looked like the car was really on a rail. He also had oversteer problems, with too grippy a pad on the rear. This was a shake-down for his new brakes and 3rd link. Scott drove a good solid race and finished 3rd, with Jeff 4th.
My power steering started to go out on the first lap and was gone totally by lap 2. That was harder than I really want to work, 40 minutes with no powersteering and a big blister on my right hand from the SM race that morning. Would have killed a normal man.
The missed shift was clutch linkage related, as at the end of the race I had to start it in whatever gear I wanted, since I couldn't dis-engage the clutch. I think my linkage came all the way loose on about lap 8. From then on, I just did all my shifting without bothering with the clutch pedal at all. Damn glad to get out of this one in one piece.
RACE:
Kyle 1:57.248
Jim 1:59.228
Scott 2:03.277
Jeff 2:03.535

wheel

P.S. Once again, Ford power ruled.

Ted Johnson
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Gotta give Kyle the "never quit" award to make the race at HPT. Just about everything that could go wrong did in getting his car together. It was a real shame he got tagged by a t1 viper who hit the wall the day before, went home and brought out another viper for race day only to hit an AS car on the warm up. Kyle did a full 360 spin into the runoff area after he was struck in the left rear (kyle on the inside) at the turn in point of turn 1. Both cars drove back to the paddock with Kyles car looking the worst for wear. Bent wheel and new tire junk. Took a porta power and some time to get the door to open and quarter panel in position not to rub on the tire. He was granted a hardship lap after group 3 to make sure everything was ok and it was. Not racing, I was hoping to watch a real dog fight but didn't happen. Our website host Jeff Kopp is making some great strides even though the results don't show it. If your car won't turn over 5000 rpm your sunk but he drove the snot out of the car in the corners. His setup is getting close and once everything is right he's going to be a threat. Scott Bettinger finishing third with major brake problems did a great job hanging on for a third place finish as well. And poor Wheel had some popeye sized forearms after the race with no power steering. I was amazed how well he drove that thing and skyrocketing engine oil and water temps to boot. Although it was a runaway for Kyle, I was happy for him with all of his struggles. His engine sounds frickin awesome and whoevers going to the sprints better watch out. His car is war wounded and I have to believe a tired and frustrated Kyle means a very motivated Kyle.

SedanMan
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Congrats to Kyle on the win and for his determination and perseverance.

Also kudos to Wheeler for struggling with no power steering and a clutch that wouldn't disengage.

A true testiment to the kinds of people that race AS who's mottos seem to be "not on my watch" when it comes to letting machine get the better of man.

Quick side question: were there any signs of new construction for the redesigned Turn 1/Turn 2 and Turn 8 track revisions?

jimwheeler
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I talked to "the man" at the track, and the plan is to close the track after our double regional in three weeks. They will then do the rebuild and have it ready for Thursday/Friday testing and our National on Aug 18/19. They want it up and running as much as we do, since the pre-runoffs test days are fully subscribed. They can't make any money on our race, unless we get a bunch of cars.
That's where it stands at the present time. I really don't see why they can't make it happen, since they will not have to work around people using the track.
wheel

t4wallace
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Nice job, "men".

KW78
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
MAN I NEED to get me some of those Chevy goggles....

Saturday Qualifying
Wheeler 1:56.879
Watkins 1:57.933
Bettinger 2:02.700
Kopp 2:03.147

So, the 100#s you could feel badly. Chevy's rejoice....

wheel

P.S. Once again, Ford power ruled.

Yeah right!..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While Jim's car was good, he was quicker. While jims car was good in the race, he was ahead!!

It was fun. Vipers aside, thanks for having me out!

Kyle

jimwheeler
06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Kyle,
You know I'm just yankin' your chain. I'm just sorry I couldn't have given you a tussle for more than one lap. When my car works well, it makes up in the corners what it lacks on the straights.

Another note. On lap 3 of the first qualifying session I had a catastrophic failure of the left front hub. If let go at the hump on the front straight at about a buck and a quarter. I tried to brake for turn one, but it was pretty obvious that I just needed to go straight and do nothing.
Both inner and outer bearings were OK. I would never re-use them, but they turned and still had good grease. It was just metal fatigue from too many lefts and rights. Here, again, it is another maintenance item that, even though it looked perfect, it wasn't. I have the Baer aluminum hubs and this one has been on the car since about 1997. Ted blew out the right front in '01 or '02, so I had a spare in the trailer and made the show. I am going to put on two fresh hubs and use these other two for spares.
Since this hub went on, I have race 111 races, including eight Runoffs, so I got my money's worth out of the Baer hubs. In addition, Ted ran four or five full seasons of regional races and last season of national races on this hub.
That being said, I may get two races out of the next one. I did take great care in re-packing the bearings every couple of events and making sure everything was done correctly every time they came apart. Don't just slap a hub on there and forget about it.
Just a cautionary tale for those for whom it might make a difference.
wheel

Ted Johnson
06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Kyle,

Your a really aggressive and fast driver. You have worked hard to get there and know how to set up a car, make it work and perform at its best. But if I took any engine builder, put them in a chair just past the start finish line, blind folded them during the race, everyone of them would say your car was clearly making more power of the two cars. Your motor sounds amazing. If it would help I will offer my services to drive your car, blind fold you and tie you to a chair on the start finish line and let you hear it. That way when you say that wheelers car is making more power I can smack you around a bit.. :laughing: You are my number 1 pick to win the June Sprints. IMHO. Great job this weekend

jimwheeler
06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Damn, Ted, don't give him so many props, he won't even speak to the rabble anymore.
wheel

Ted Johnson
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Damn, Ted, don't give him so many props, he won't even speak to the rabble anymore.
wheel

Don't worry about that Jim, when Kyle sees your post above about coming over the hump at a buck and a quarter when Sloe's fastest trap speed was 115 last year at the runoffs, I'm sure thats enough for him to get the pot stirring. ;)

t4wallace
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Ted -- did you actually comment on Kyle's package?

Kyle -- No need for the goggles. Just get the 3D glasses from a McDonald's Happy Meal. Same effect. :laughing:

KW78
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Kyle,

... But if I took any engine builder.... blind folded .... (they) would say your car was clearly making more power ...... Great job this weekend

And here I was using a DYNOJET all this time for comparison......

I now see the criteria for the debate on power :laughing: :laughing:

Tom you're right, they aren't chevy goggles, but blinders!!! :thumbsup:

Good point about the trap speeds, I'm sure the same sort of hedge multipliers are at work with the HP numbers.....:eek:

jimwheeler
06-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't know how much power Kyle's car makes, but it sure sounds sweet. He has more than I do, but the #100 helped a little bit. He could clearly out accelerate my Firebird, but I could out brake him. When he gets the new brakes he will be awesome. I wish I was going to the Sprints. Andy McDermid will be there for his first race of the season, along with Phil Smith in his fast Camaro and Bill Tucker who put a whipping on me at Gateway. Monte Cowles and Freddy Hetherwick are also entered. That should be a good one to watch. For entry list, go to: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=2777

Good luck to you all.

wheel

t4wallace
06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Tom you're right, they aren't chevy goggles, but blinders!!! :thumbsup:
Put the STP hat down and slowly back up. No sudden movements.

jimwheeler
06-20-2007, 08:22 PM
In an earlier post I mentioned that the pre Runoffs test days were fully subscribed. I think that what I was really told was that they would not add test days and that all the spots would be filled, so there was no income to be gained by the track keeping drivers off of the Runoffs configuration at our August national. In other words, the test days would only generate X number of cars and what happened during the regular season would have no bearing on that. I am sorry for any confusion and, by all means, apply for test days before the runoffs if you so desire. They are making every effort to have the track ready for our August national and we would welcome everyone to come out and get track time then.