PDA

View Full Version : MAM Results

Ted Johnson
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Weather was perfect this weekend. Sunny high 70's and low 80's.

Qualifying

Jim Wheeler 1.41.243
Scott Bettinger 1.48.143
Mark Beacom 1.48.469
Frank Safranek 1.57.065
Dick Read no time. Had engine trouble in the regional
Tim White no time. Blew clutch in the regional

Race.

Jim Wheeler
Scott Bettinger
Frank Safranek
Mark Beacom

With Wheeler mired in a big group of EP cars he decided to lift on the start and let the pack go and not interfere with their race. This allowed Mark Beacom and Scott Bettinger to get very close for the first two laps. An EP car lost a wheel and was stuck in the sand which black flagged the race. On the restart with Mark Beacom only one car behind Wheel would not be so kind to the EP cars. Beacom kept Wheel in check for 10 laps but broke something onto the front straight and retired. No drama from there to the finish.

Congrats to Scott Bettinger for consistant laps rewarding a second place finish. And also to Frank Safranek for two podiums this week in one of the original AS mustangs ever built. The old timer AS'ers know what a handful a mustang can be without the latest updates. The bad luck is over. Great job Frank.

On a side note, I need to thank Kyle for his great advice to focus on my setup. I discovered something this week and shared it with Wheeler. It yielded a lap 5 tenths quicker than Kyles official track record but not as quick as Kyles best qualifying lap. Its something we can share with all of you and Wheel will post the pictures soon to help grow the class. :laughing:

Thank you Kyle. Great advice.

socalta
05-21-2007, 03:18 PM
way to go guys ..... congrats to the finishers .:cheers:

jimwheeler
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.asedan.net/images/speed-secret.JPG

Tim White
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm pissed now. The clutch appears to be fine, instead the clutch fork got dislodged. I assume it happened when I hit the EP car during the regional race and with a few laps to go in the race it dislodged even more so the clutch started slipping. The bang I heard must've been when the fork hit the cover on the outside of the bellhousing, just about ripped the cover off completely. It appears that every problem I had was a complete result of the contact.

I might as well explained what happened during the regional race. We had an incredibly late green flag and the entire field was bumper to bumper. I picked the inside and stayed behind the EP car who was rignt behind Mark. He tried to take Mark on the outside coming into turn 1 but came in way to hot and under braking he was all over the track. I thought for sure he was going to turn into Mark's Mustang so I backed off a bit and moved to the left. Instead he looped it and was directly in front of me, facing me. Since there was a car to the left of me, I tried to go back to the right and just about cleared him. It was just the very left front corners of our cars that came together. It knocked my battery all the way to the right side of the battery box and the negative cable came off, so I ran the whole race off the alternator. I think that explains the slight miss I had every so often. Then there was the loud pop I heard and the clutch started slipping and the clutch engaged with the peddle just off the floor. At least Frank and I gave everybody in the stands a good show as he pushed me back to tech, I'm sure that will make the Midiv end of the year video. Instead of a flat tow I had a flat push.

So I could've fixed everything I made the national.

Ackjazz
05-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Freakin' classic, Wheel... Awesome!

:cheers:

jimwheeler
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
This was all Ted. It is really heartening to know your crew chief has your best interest at heart and will "think outside the bottle, er box" when it comes to implementing new found speed secrets. I might add that the Chief Steward and the SOM were parked right next to us in their motor home and both of them split a gut when they saw Ted taking this picture.
wheel

Scott Davie
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Wheel, looks legal to me. After all 110 is the octane we have to run. But I never thought about drinking it!:cheers:
Scott

Ted Johnson
05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm pissed now. The clutch appears to be fine, instead the clutch fork got dislodged. I assume it happened when I hit the EP car during the regional race and with a few laps to go in the race it dislodged even more so the clutch started slipping. The bang I heard must've been when the fork hit the cover on the outside of the bellhousing, just about ripped the cover off completely. It appears that every problem I had was a complete result of the contact.

I might as well explained what happened during the regional race. We had an incredibly late green flag and the entire field was bumper to bumper. I picked the inside and stayed behind the EP car who was rignt behind Mark. He tried to take Mark on the outside coming into turn 1 but came in way to hot and under braking he was all over the track. I thought for sure he was going to turn into Mark's Mustang so I backed off a bit and moved to the left. Instead he looped it and was directly in front of me, facing me. Since there was a car to the left of me, I tried to go back to the right and just about cleared him. It was just the very left front corners of our cars that came together. It knocked my battery all the way to the right side of the battery box and the negative cable came off, so I ran the whole race off the alternator. I think that explains the slight miss I had every so often. Then there was the loud pop I heard and the clutch started slipping and the clutch engaged with the peddle just off the floor. At least Frank and I gave everybody in the stands a good show as he pushed me back to tech, I'm sure that will make the Midiv end of the year video. Instead of a flat tow I had a flat push.

So I could've fixed everything I made the national.

I was eager to help with the body damage. BFH ready and willing...:thumbsup:

KelleyHux
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Glad everyone had a good time! It was wonderful to see Frank finish two races in a row. :clap: Tim - sorry you had troubles, but good to know it wasn't absolutely horrible.

Remember our next event is July 28/29, and we'd really like to have a huge field. So you're all invited to join us and bring lots of friends!

If you have comments about what MVRG can do to make the event better (remembering that the weather and competiton adjustments are outside of the organizers control), please let Tim or myself know.

Kelley Huxtable
Chief Registrar
MVRG

jkopp
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
(remembering that the weather and competiton adjustments are outside of the organizers control)

Kelley, you didn't rule out selling my house for me so if you can get that done I'm there! Actually, not coming up this past weekend killed me :(. I can't decide wheter to go $10K in credit card debt racing or drop the price of our house $10K but I'm getting damn close to doing one or the other :confused:. I'm racing HPT regardless. I just can't take it anymore. ;)

KW78
05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
NICE! Wheel, I knew that would combat those fume effects!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Now, I know you all are lying about the lap times though.... I mean really, it is here somewhere, let me look.......

Kyle,

As much as you would like to stir the pot about chevy's owning the track records in Midiv and as much as it pained me to discover, I found a regional race result sheet from a couple years ago. The MAM track record which is recorded currently as Jim Stevens is incorrect. I have contacted our score keeper and I believe it will be changed. The correct is track record is really yours. At a 1:41.709 set on 8/21/04 in the regional race. You own it. .... No chevy can get a sniff of that kind of lap time currently. ...... Mustangs run HARD. Now about those engine rules??

That's right, how about those engine rules.... and now I should be slower too....

Things to ponder.... If this won't get the chevy's out......

and BTW, Congrats JIM!! :cheers: Nice Job.

Kyle

jimwheeler
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Kyle,
Thanks buddy. I really was glad to get out of that one with a win. My left rear tire was going flat and it was a real handful. It had about 12 psi when I got it back to the trailer.

Just to set the lap time record straight, my qualifying time of 1:41.243 was the third best time ever run there, next to your 1:39.924 in qualifying in August 2004. Jim Stevens had a 1:41.0xx a few years ago.

Your race lap, that day, is the current race record at 1:41.266. You broke something during that race and I ended up with the win. You have several other laps in the 1:41 range as well.
My best race lap ever is 1:42.667 and I think Ted has a faster lap than that in this car.

wheel

KW78
05-22-2007, 12:43 PM
You know Jim, if you put more time into your setup and less time into that blasted record keeping..... :laughing: :laughing:

Ackjazz
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
You know Jim, if you put more time into your setup and less time into that blasted record keeping..... :laughing: :laughing:

Kyle, clearly you meant to say "proper" set up. It was obvious from the picture he and Ted were working on the "set up".

jimwheeler
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
No record keeping here. I just zip on to mylaps.com and there it is.
I used to keep copies of every race, in their own little section of a three ring binder. Now I just throw them on the pile in the closet because I can get it all on the computer.
wheel

Ted Johnson
05-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Kyle,
Thanks buddy. I really was glad to get out of that one with a win. My left rear tire was going flat and it was a real handful. It had about 12 psi when I got it back to the trailer.

Just to set the lap time record straight, my qualifying time of 1:41.243 was the second best time ever run there, next to your 1:39.924 in qualifying in August 2004.

Your race lap, that day, is the current race record at 1:41.266. You broke something during that race and I ended up with the win. You have several other laps in the 1:41 range as well.
My best race lap ever is 1:42.667 and I think Ted has a faster lap than that in this car.

wheel

That sucks. The record keeps getting lower and lower by the minute by those fords... I'll keep working on my setup but the sky is getting farther away..;)

t4wallace
05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
That sucks. The record keeps getting lower and lower by the minute by those fords... I'll keep working on my setup but the sky is getting farther away..;)
It's not your set up Ted. Don't you know it's because we GMr's are lazy, can't drive, are too busy whining and haven't tried all the engine/speed secrets the Ford guys just know will work if only we'd only get off our butts and do them on a GM car. ;)

I can't wait to see how the Wheeler tube improves our performance. :laughing: