PDA

View Full Version : John Blizzard Wins Thunderhill Double Nationals!!

Richard Pryor
03-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, man...it's about time....John scored a double victory at the Thunderhill Nationals March 16-17...about time a Camaro finally swept the board...congrats, John.....Richard Pryor

kbsmith1
03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Richard, I don't get it. Maybe some sort of inside joke?

jkopp
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I think it's because, as of right now, John is the only ASedan entered. ;)

Richard Pryor
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
yep, Jeff has it....actually the entry of one A Sedan at the Thunderhill double nationals is 1 more than they had last year...on the other hand, four weeks later for the NASA CMC race there will be over 50 CMC, CMC2, AI and AIX cars...lots of reasons for SCCA not having National participation in norcal..that's one of them...RP

wlfpkrcn
03-11-2007, 01:47 AM
yep, Jeff has it....actually the entry of one A Sedan at the Thunderhill double nationals is 1 more than they had last year...on the other hand, four weeks later for the NASA CMC race there will be over 50 CMC, CMC2, AI and AIX cars...lots of reasons for SCCA not having National participation in norcal..that's one of them...RP

That's an average of twelve cars per class, pretty good but not SM. Not one of those cars is a former AS car. The cars aren't leaving AS for CMC or AI, they just aren't being entered. How many current CMC/AI (west coast)drivers have scored points in AS nationally or regionally? How many have entered a SCCA event? How many would be racing at all if not for NASA and their HPDE program? If you look at SFR region AS- What happened to Pat and Nick? Ericks car is still for sale. That is 3 Norcal cars sitting in garages. Nobody from down south, nobody from the region and one car from Oregon. The cars are there, just nobody is willing to race them. Could be the cost. Could be the rules. There is 9 GT-3 cars entered and they were in trouble of losing national status 2 years ago. If AS doesn't get it together soon, this clas will be on the chopping block. Then you will see an increase in AI/AIX #'s because there won't be an AS to race in.

Richard Pryor
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Pat Stone has parked his AS Camaro and is running CMC exclusively this year in a newly built Mustang, Nick Littleton converted his AS car to AI and is running in Texas...Eric was last at an open track at Laguna still in AS configuration but considering CMC again...you're right, with the exception of what used to be the entire AS field in the SF region, as far as I'm aware the CMC (around 35 cars) AI (10 cars) and AIX (5 cars) are all NASA home grown. The cost for AI is about the same as AS and AIX is more so $$ doesn't seem to be the object, though the less expensive CMC is obviously car count healthy. I think it all gets back to class promotion and rules stability and equality...as you note SM has giant fields...50-70 in regionals here and 30 in nationals...can AS reinvent itself to attract large fields? It seems healthy in pockets where NASA has not yet penetrated the market. Is it below critical mass to sustain it? A strong regional presence seems necessary to grow drivers to a national basis. What's the grassroots answer? How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? RP

Richard Pryor
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
You know, I just realized NASA is going to give us the answer. 2007 is the first year for a brand new, yet derivative class, CMC2. It's the basic CMC rules except the horsepower and torque figures are larger to accomodate 1998 up F bodies and the newest Mustangs. Can anyone say T2 rules but with common sense? There aren't that many T2 Camaro or Firebirds out there but I'm betting most of them will be converted to CMC2 specs since SCCA T2 rules have obsoleted the F body from the Runoffs top 10 (even though Dave Schotz continues to win Nationals in SoPac division...his car won't last 45 minutes at the Runoffs at full tilt boogie). But this isn't enough cars to do more than 2-3 cars in the new class. So, sit back and see what happens...will the class grow? how fast? I doubt there will be much impact the first year as the class was just announced at the end of 2006 and cars will be built or converted. There are 3 CMC2 cars in the SF area right now all converted T2 Camaros. But it's going to take new cars to grow the class. Observe and we'll know the answer in 3-4 years.

jimwheeler
03-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Let's move this discussion off of the race results page, please. I would like to hear from the folks who raced AS last weekend. Jon and Scott, how about it.
See my MMP post
Thank you.
Jim

t4wallace
03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jim.

Back on task: Nice job this weekend Wheel. :cheers:

TW