PDA

View Full Version : RUNOFFS QUALIFYING--Session 3

t4wallace
10-11-2006, 01:31 PM
The track seemed slower for the previously fast, but some improved times signifgantly. This is based on the live timing and scoring. Lavigne went the fastest, right at the end, squeaking McDermid for fast time and moving himself up the grid. Smith was 3rd with a time posted right out of the gate. Hosni and Heinricy rounded out the top 5 with all of them in the low to mid 55's. Of note: Wheeler did not take a time. Not sure of the reason, unless his knee told him the track would slow down.

Top Ten Session 3 drivers
Lavigne 55.121
McDermid 55.205
Smith 55.314
Hosni 55.633
Heinricy 55.666
Sloe 55.728
Watkins 55.751
Schepergerdes 55.865
Stevens 56.519
Doll 57.075

Adjusted Top Ten (session)
Hosni 54.017 (1)
Watkins 54.147 (1)
Wheeler 54.727 (1)
McDermid 54.854 (1)
Smith 55.058 (1)
Lavigne 55.121 (3)
Schepergerders 55.521 (1)
Heinricy 55.605 (1)
Sloe 55.728 (3)
Stevens 56.165 (1)

Looks like the final session will be a little tense. :cheers:

socalta
10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
not to stoke the flames since its still quali times but the first two are Fords and three of the top five are Fords..
:ciao:

t4wallace
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
not to stoke the flames since its still quali times but the first two are Fords and three of the top five are Fords..
:ciao:
It ain't over yet Jorge. There still might be some swapping of positions tomorrow.

socalta
10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I know I know .. just having a little fun :p

t4wallace
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I know I know .. just having a little fun :p
Sometimes, poking the tiger can be hazardous to your health.:eek:

I now end all forms of communications until my return from the epicenter of tornadoes. Unless I find SedanMan. He must have paid the $500 to have internet access while he's there.

smithpr
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Here is my update. The track was still damp in spots. It seems like there is nothing dry here even considering the rain stopped last night. Very cool. 50 degrees with a strong north wind. They are taking about a hard freeze tonight.

I went out hot like every one. Andy went super deep into turn 8 (the Bus Stop) and I thought to myself that this is going to be interesting. It was. He put a fair amount of mud onto the track. Next time around there was even more mud because at least on other went off in the same place. From then on it was a mess through that section. The car would just slide like it was on ice.

A couple of guys did step up. Good for them. It was hard to go fast. I drove a lot better today but the Track was just not any good. Time to put some new tires on and get ready for the shoot out on Thursday.

Its going to be fun.

The 54 went to tech. They checked a bunch of stuff including rear camber.

Philip

socalta
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the update Philip.... With Tom out of action I hope you can continue to offer up some info.....
:thumbsup:

SedanMan
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
This being my first Runoffs and only my 2nd year in AS I'm learning a lot. I've seen a lot of AS cars that have things that are technically illegal (or are missing items in order to be legal) and I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't push the grey areas more. Of course driving better, buying a Ford, or using autocross tires are other options to move up the grid.

Not helping matters are the unfortunate qualifying track conditions. I think I keep pulling the short straws in the bunch.......

Session 1: Couldn't get a clean lap to save my life. Tried several strategies including coming into the pits to wait for a gap before going back out. Nothing worked and was never able to run a clean lap without someone blocking me for a long time.

Session 2: Rained out. No sense in going out and sliding all over the track to go 25 seconds a lap slower than I did during practice.

Session 3: Someone spread mud all over the track on Lap 1 in one of the most critical sections of the track. I was sideways and fishtailing through the section every lap, not to mention wheelspin half way down the following straight until the mud was flung off the tires each time through. Granted it was the same track condition for everyone, but it just goes to show that single handedly one person can screw up an entire qualifying session for every car in the session (not to mention the following sessions).

Perhaps the most frustrating thing for me in these 3 days of qualifying is that I was turning laps a half second faster on used tires in 90 degree heat amongst every type of closed wheel car from GT1 to SSC in testing a few days ago. But due to the above conditions I can't even come close to my testing times in my qualifying sessions.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.....

AndyFranklin
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
This being my first Runoffs and only my 2nd year in AS I'm learning a lot. I've seen a lot of AS cars that have things that are technically illegal (or are missing items in order to be legal) and I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't push the grey areas more. Of course driving better, buying a Ford, or using autocross tires are other options to move up the grid.

What is is that you saw - or thought you saw?

socalta
10-12-2006, 06:58 PM
What is going on here!!!!!!!!!! the live T&S doesnt seem to be working .. :censored:

Nevermind... its on now ..