PDA

View Full Version : HPT National

jkopp
09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Qualifying:

Just got home. This is all from memory and I do not have times (left the damn sheet in the trailer - sorry):

1. Wheeler
2. Watkins
3. Smith
4. Hosni
5. Youngers
6. Doll (May have been in front of Youngers)
7. Kopp
8. Johnson (still getting use to Wallace car)
9. White
10. Stevens - no time

Gorgeous day. Stevens broke on the first lap of practice (not sure what). The top four are close and will have a great battle. The HPT facilities are really starting to come together. I owe the Wallaces a new trans mount and they don't even know it yet :laughing: (thanks Ted!). I'm beat and going to bed (yes I know it's only 8:30 but I have a lot of catching up to do tomorrow :ciao:)

Sorry if I left anybody out.

btucker
09-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Very close at the front:

Wheeler 1:55.652
Kyle Watkins 1:55.723
Phil Smith 1:55.724
Ed Hosni 1:56.044
Youngers 1:57.955
Brian Doll 1:58.266
Jeff Kopp 2:00.311
Ted Johnson 2:00.495
Tim White 2:03.485

Wheeler set fast time on autocross tires, Jim Stevens ventilated an engine.

socalta
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks .. Jeff .. Bill ....

jkopp
09-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Race:

1. Phil Smith 1:55.312 (New track record)
2. Ed Hosni 1:55.883
3. Jim Wheeler 1:55.902
4. Brian Doll 1:57.290
5. Jeff Kopp 2:00.529
6. Kyle Watkins 1:55.403 - Problems after 17 laps
7. Ted Johnson 1:59.892 - Pulled off after 11 laps
No more starters

Kevin Youngers had a hub problem and didn't make it out today. Tim White had an engine issue during the morning warmup.

Nice run by Phil. Great job and congradulations on the track record.

jimwheeler
09-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Phil, the best race I have ever seen you run. Congratulations for the win and the record and for upholding the honor of the Midiv.
Ed, Congratulations on clinching the Cendiv title and thanks for coming out to play with the riff-raff in the Midiv.
Brian Doll... Good to see you again and good run.
Jimmy, sorry about your motor, but better this week than in October.
Congratulation to Ted for qualifying for the Runoffs.

The rest of the story will have to wait until I decompress. I have to go back to Topeka and pick up the Big Kahuna since I towed the Miata home at the end of the day.

Ed, I picked up your trophy when the results became final after the 10 cases of passing under the double yellow.

wheel

Racetex
09-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Congrats to Ed for a great year and for winning the Cen/Div this year. We are proud of you to have you in our camp. Do I really have to call you Champ for now on? Hey Wheel good to c u again. Do you have the T1 results?

Phil nice race and congrats on your win.

jimwheeler
09-03-2006, 11:59 PM
jeff,

EdZabinski Ferrari 1:50.807
Cindi Lux Viper 1:53.209
Jeff Robbins Viper 1:52.774
Michael Tracey Corvette 1:55.551

Good to see you as well.
Jim

Mark Allen
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey Wheel, sounds like it was an exciting race. Are you done decomposing yet so you can give us the blow-by-blow?

Mark

smithpr
09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
What a weekend!!!

As always had a great time hanging out with some of the best people in the world. I always enjoy talking with Jeff and Ed Hosni and I spent some time talking Asedan rules and stuff.

An added bonus was that my engine builder flew out from the Motor City and was around for Friday and Saturday to help get the rebuilt engine running good.

He is a great guy and we had never met so it was nice to put a face with a voice.

Jim had an engine issue early in the first practice. I wish he was there so that we could have run.

Kyle was testing Friday and turning some screaming hot laps. I was just trying to get some track time and prepare for the weekend. Ed also turned some smoking laps on Thursdays practice. Those Cendiv guys do not waste any time getting going on a new track. My car was pretty good. We needed to do some jet tuning which is always a little strange because you spend a bunch of time taking plugs out of a smoking hot race engine on pit lane. Lots of blisters.

Qualifying was a mess. Way to many cars and it was very hard to get a fast lap.

Sunday

The weather was perfect. 75 light breeze and sunny.

The grid was pretty good. T1 cars. 4 asedans then a couple of T1s more A/S and then some T2. I got a good start but there was no where to go. I was behind Wheel and Kyle was to my right. Kyle got between me and Wheel going into turn two and there was a 360 mixed in with us. We raced close for about 3 laps. Then Kyle got a little run on Jim out of 6 with a very nice super late apex and then they both went wide into the grass on the outside of 7. Wheel kept it pointed the right direction and I think that Kyle went around. I passed them and knew I had to run some of the best laps of my life if I was going to make the lead stick. I was able to pull a small gap. The course went double yellow for 4 laps. There was a mini behind me and then Wheel and the rest of the crew. I got a good restart and then did a few nice laps and pulled a small gap. I kept driving and moving through traffic. The SSC and SSB guys were great. I think Klye had some car trouble and Wheel as dealing with some new engine issues.

My laps were pretty consistent and I got great help on the radios from Bill Tucker and Dennis Hayes. Great job guys.

All was great until 7 drivers were asked to see the chief steward after the race. The chief steward said all of us passed under the double yellow. The other 6 took the 3 position penalty and I knew that I did not pass under yellow so I filed a protest. Dennis coughed up $50 and we went to court. 4 hours later they agreed with what any one who knew the facts, that it was a case of mistaken identity. The car that they said I passed under the double yellow I did not pass until the last lap of the race. I was behind the same car the whole time under double yellow. I was very glad that I had the video tape in the car.

I really think that what took so much time was the the court like watching the video;-) When they call me back in at 4:00 pm they were having a discussions with someone about how to make sure that this does not happen again. It didn't look like the guy was having much fun during the discussion.

Now I have to begin the car prep for the run offs. There is a bunch to do.

Thanks for all the nice words.

Philip
#54 A/S

jimwheeler
09-04-2006, 02:52 PM
It went pretty much as Phil said.
Qualifying was really a bitch with all the slow stuff out there. I think we all got one decent lap. My times all look like 2.00, 2.02, 2.10 etc. then one fast one and a bunch of 1.59's, or whatever as I was looking for a hole in traffic. Everyone had the same problem and it was a hoot how close we all were to each other.
I got a nice start as we were all pretty much on the throttle from the beginning of the straight. I had a windshield full of Ferrari and we all got through one and two ok. I had a little bit of room on Kyle with Phil and Ed in close formation. The big off for Kyle and me was akin to what happens with air show acts, like the Blue Angels. When the lead pilot hits the mountain, they all follow him right in. We were screaming up out of six and the first of my gremlins hit. As I turned in, the power steering stopped working and I didn't make the turn, dropping four off on the outside at 6800 in 3rd. I could see it coming, but Kyle couldn't have been more than two feet off my bumper and I'm sure he couldn't even see the road. I yanked on the wheel and the p.s. came back, so it went full right lock just in time. I got it back straight and drove in the grass, flat in 3rd, until I saw Phil flash by and then I regained the track between him and Ed,with Kyle spinning in the dirt.
The power steering came and went throughout the race, finally giving it up completely with two or three to go.
All of my warning lights were on by then, and if it had been my airplane, I would have been looking for a vacant field. Water leak between the pump and block. Oil leak up front somewhere. I lost enough oil that the low pressure light kept coming on. The blue water pressure light kept flickering as the water drained out. I watched the temps carefully, ready to shut it off.
Fortunately, I didn't hurt the motor and it was good to find all this stuff well before the Runoffs.
Jeff Robbins did a hell of a job in T1 in a tough field. Great group of guys in AS. Kyle and Kevin from out west, Ed and Brian from Cendiv, plus all the regulars from Midiv. Good fun.

Mark Allen
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Congrats to everyone who ran. Sounds like you all had a great time and ran very very well to boot. There are going to be some fast guys at the runoffs who are going to be cryin' in their beer for not having made the drag to HPT to feel it out prior to the runoffs. Good luck to all in October.

What really grinds me is that if the runoffs were in the middle of Sep this year like they used to be, I'd be home on a business trip and could go hang out. As it stands I'm going to be watching the live timing and scoring on my laptop watching the race virtually from Deutschland.

Congrats to all again!

Mark

Tim White
09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm still struggling with the rear diff. Then during the warmup on Sunday I think I blew the rear main seal. I guess I didn't warm-up the oil enough. At least I hope that is what happened. Everything sounds fine, it has oil pressure and oil comes out the very back of the block.

Congrats Phil, sounds like it was a great race.

jimwheeler
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Tim, I was right behind you when it let go. I thought you were lucky it didn't go up in a ball of flames. I guess everything wasn't really hot enough for the fumes to explode. Oiled down the track, but you stayed off line, which was very good.
wheel

SedanMan
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
There are going to be some fast guys at the runoffs who are going to be cryin' in their beer for not having made the drag to HPT to feel it out prior to the runoffs.
MarkYeah, it's too bad we don't all live near enough, or have pockets deep enough, to go HPT for these preliminary races with our AS cars. For the rest of us we'll just have to keep the local guys' margarita glasses full at The Big Kahuna so we'll be on a bit more equal footing come race day. I'll buy the first round. :)

On a different note, congratulations to Philip for a great win and to the rest of the guys for racing clean and finishing strong. Condolences to those who had mechanical problems.

socalta
09-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Any comments on how the TransAm cars did or how many showed up or anything??

Scott
09-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I have a race summary too, if anyone wants to read it, I'll post it. Sounded like an entertaining race.

TOPEKA, Kan. – Final race results from Monday’s 24-lap, 60.0-mile SCCA Trans-Am race from Heartland Park Topeka, with finishing position, starting position in parenthesis, driver, hometown, car and laps complete.
1. (5), Paul Gentilozzi, Lansing, Mich., Jaguar XKR, 24.
2. (2), Tomy Drissi, Hollywood, Calif., Jaguar XKR, 24.
3. (3), Greg Pickett, Benicia, Calif., Jaguar XKR, 24.
4. (8), Edison Lluch Jr., Puerto Rico, Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
5. (17), Amy Ruman, Kent, Ohio, Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
6. (10), Mike Canney, Placidia, Fla., Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
7. (13), Gene Nicholas, Lowell, Ark., Chevrolet Camaro, 23.
8. (7), John Baucom, Matthews, N.C., Ford Mustang, 23.
9. (4), Jorge Diaz Jr., Puerto Rico, Jaguar XKR, 22.
10. (15), Carl Janin, Dallas, Texas, Oldsmobile Cutlass, 22.
11. (9), Shawn Gray, Lafayette, Ark., Chevrolet Camaro, 21.
12. (14), Dan Downs, Bellevue, Neb., Chevrolet Camaro, 21.
13. (11), David Fershtand, Fort Worth, Texas, Ford Mustang, 19.
14. (1), Joey Scarallo, Hauppauge, N.Y., Chevrolet Corvette, 17.
15. (16), Eugene Kraus, Lake Forest, Ill., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 16.
16. (12), Ryan McManus, Westfield Center, Ohio, Ford Mustang, 7, Mech.
17. (6), Edison Lluch Sr., Puerto Rico, Chevrolet Corvette, 0, Crash.
Time of Race: 46 minutes, 38.941 seconds.
Margin of victory: 25.809 seconds, under yellow.
Average race speed: 77.172 mph
Lap leaders: laps 1-5, #06 Joey Scarallo; laps 6-18, #08 Jorge Diaz Jr.; laps 19-24, #10 Paul Gentilozzi
Fastest Race Lap: 1:37.295 (92.502 mph), #10 Paul Gentilozzi (Record)
Fastest Qualifier: 1:36.922 (92.858 mph), #10 Paul Gentilozzi (Record)
Cautions: Two for five laps

Ted Johnson
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a race summary too, if anyone wants to read it, I'll post it. Sounded like an entertaining race.

TOPEKA, Kan. – Final race results from Monday’s 24-lap, 60.0-mile SCCA Trans-Am race from Heartland Park Topeka, with finishing position, starting position in parenthesis, driver, hometown, car and laps complete.
1. (5), Paul Gentilozzi, Lansing, Mich., Jaguar XKR, 24.
2. (2), Tomy Drissi, Hollywood, Calif., Jaguar XKR, 24.
3. (3), Greg Pickett, Benicia, Calif., Jaguar XKR, 24.
4. (8), Edison Lluch Jr., Puerto Rico, Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
5. (17), Amy Ruman, Kent, Ohio, Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
6. (10), Mike Canney, Placidia, Fla., Chevrolet Corvette, 24.
7. (13), Gene Nicholas, Lowell, Ark., Chevrolet Camaro, 23.
8. (7), John Baucom, Matthews, N.C., Ford Mustang, 23.
9. (4), Jorge Diaz Jr., Puerto Rico, Jaguar XKR, 22.
10. (15), Carl Janin, Dallas, Texas, Oldsmobile Cutlass, 22.
11. (9), Shawn Gray, Lafayette, Ark., Chevrolet Camaro, 21.
12. (14), Dan Downs, Bellevue, Neb., Chevrolet Camaro, 21.
13. (11), David Fershtand, Fort Worth, Texas, Ford Mustang, 19.
14. (1), Joey Scarallo, Hauppauge, N.Y., Chevrolet Corvette, 17.
15. (16), Eugene Kraus, Lake Forest, Ill., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 16.
16. (12), Ryan McManus, Westfield Center, Ohio, Ford Mustang, 7, Mech.
17. (6), Edison Lluch Sr., Puerto Rico, Chevrolet Corvette, 0, Crash.
Time of Race: 46 minutes, 38.941 seconds.
Margin of victory: 25.809 seconds, under yellow.
Average race speed: 77.172 mph
Lap leaders: laps 1-5, #06 Joey Scarallo; laps 6-18, #08 Jorge Diaz Jr.; laps 19-24, #10 Paul Gentilozzi
Fastest Race Lap: 1:37.295 (92.502 mph), #10 Paul Gentilozzi (Record)
Fastest Qualifier: 1:36.922 (92.858 mph), #10 Paul Gentilozzi (Record)
Cautions: Two for five laps

Its my understanding that Gentilozzi was disqualified today. I believe it was for rough driving. He likes the chrome horn and isn't afraid to use it.

Scott
09-06-2006, 09:22 AM
This would explain his DQ then.

TOPEKA, Kan. (Sept. 4, 2006) – Paul Gentilozzi, of Lansing, Mich., recovered from an early-race spin to win his 31st SCCA Trans-Am® race Monday, the first of two 2006 Trans-Am races promoted by Heartland Park Topeka. Tomy Drissi, of Hollywood, Calif., and Greg Picket, of Benicia, Calif., completed the Jaguar podium sweep.

After setting the fast time in Monday morning’s qualifying session in the No. 10 Rocketsports Jaguar XKR with a lap of 1:36.922 (92.858 mph) around the 14-turn, 2.5-mile circuit, Gentilozzi started fifth with the inverted Fast Five®.

After setting the fifth-fastest qualifying time, Joey Scarallo, of Hauppauge, N.Y., led the 17-car field to the green flag in his No. 06 Toyo Tires Chevrolet Corvette and jumped to the early lead over Drissi’s No. 5 Rocketsports Jaguar XKR, but drama developed behind. Gentilozzi and the No. 71 Coors Light/Tuque Chevrolet Corvette of Edison Lluch Sr. made slight contact in turn one, and then bigger contact in the low-speed 90-degree turn two, sending both cars around and Lluch into the tire wall. The incident brought out a full course yellow to move Lluch’s car, and Gentilozzi made a stop into the pits to replace a cut tire.

Gentilozzi noted that the contact with Lluch Sr. started on the pace lap, but continued into turn one.

“We went into the braking zone for turn one and he body slammed me again,” Gentilozzi said. “I thought, ‘well, we’ll just get by him and then go.’ So I go by and we get to the left hander and he hits me—boom, in the [back] and spins me around. But he didn’t know how to hit people, ‘cause he hit me and then hit the wall. I don’t know what he was thinking.”

Gentilozzi pitted initially for one tire, but was concerned about mismatched tire compounds, so returned to the pits under yellow to install all four of his qualifying tires.

While Gentilozzi dealt with his problems, Scarallo led the field back to the restart on lap six. 2003 series Rookie of the Year Jorge Diaz Jr. (No. 08 Panasonic Jaguar XKR) moved to second at the drop of the green, and was able to take the lead from Scarallo in turn three. From there, Diaz Jr. and Scarallo started a two-car breakaway.

Behind the leaders, Gentilozzi began his furious charge through the pack, moving to eighth on the eighth lap and fifth by lap 11. Clearly the fastest car on the track, the silver and green Jaguar moved past Picket and then Drissi to take third on lap 15.

After pulling out to a 1.5-second lead, Gentilozzi’s pressure on Scarallo forced him to close Diaz Jr.’s lead to nothing on lap 18. As the three entered the chicane on the back straight, Gentilozzi showed Scarallo his nose, but the Corvette closed the door.

Going into turn 10, the two made contact, with Scarallo’s Corvette spinning off into the grass. He would head to the pits and later retire due to the damage. Both drivers had differing opinions of the contact.

“I don’t quite know what Joey [Scarallo] was thinking,” Gentilozzi said. “I pulled inside going into the chicane on the back straight and he ran me up over the curb into the dirt. I thought ‘okay.’ So I got behind him and I pulled inside in the next turn and bam, he turns down.”

“We were going to either win or finish second, assuming Paul caught me and passed me cleanly. He didn’t. It’s plain and simple. He used me as his breaks,” said Scarallo, who is still searching for his maiden Trans-Am win. “It was a really great race, aside from the move from Paul [Gentilozzi], which was, I think, a pretty silly move. We were biding our time, saving the brakes and we were going to get around Jorge [Diaz Jr.]. We’ll be back to try again in October.”

Just one lap later, Gentilozzi completed his run from last to first, passing Diaz Jr., whose car had begun to show some smoke. On lap 23, the blue Jaguar pulled off course in turn four, leaving Gentilozzi with a 20-plus second lead over Drissi. That would signal the end of the race, which was checkered flagged one lap early as the full-course caution came out for a spun car stranded in the first turn.

Gentilozzi officially beat Drissi to the checkered flag by 25.809 seconds, averaging 77.172 mph over the course of the 24-lap, 60-mile race.

“Jorge knew I was faster, so he just let me by,” Gentilozzi said of the pass for the lead. “He was struggling with his car too at that point. Then, I guess, he broke the gearbox.

“When you get old, like me, you never know if [a win] might be your last one! We’ll come do it again [in October], and next time we’ll be a little better prepared. I didn’t get here until yesterday, so now I know the racetrack and I know the gearing and the setup.”

Gentilozzi was impressed with Heartland Park Topeka, which recently completed a renovation of the track and all facilities.

“I will say one thing, I haven’t been here since ’89 and this is a great racetrack to race on,” he said. “It is a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. It is challenging. First of all, it challenges the car, technically. You have to have a good setup. And then, it has plenty of places to pass, if you’re faster. I think it’s going to make for an exciting Runoffs.”

Recovering from a late-race spin, Picket held on to third in his No. 6 Cytomax/Muscle Milk Jaguar XKR. Edison Lluch Jr. was fourth in his No. 72 DonQ Chevrolet Corvette. Amy Ruman, substituting for her father Bob, who had qualified the car but was under the weather, finished fifth after starting from the back of the field in her No. 23 McNichols Co./Safety Today Chevrolet Corvette.

It was Gentilozzi’s record-extending 31st-career Trans-Am win coming in the 537th-ever series’ race. The win also marked the 49th in series history for Jaguar, fourth on the all-time list.

t4wallace
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
So P.G. gets DQ'd and it's not announced anywhere obvious on SCCA.com or Speed.com.

Did NASCAR buy SCCA and we just don't know it yet?