View Full Version : Gateway Results

92AS
08-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Another hot weekend at the track.

Qualifying results as follows:

Otto Roberts-1:13.883
Harvey West-1:14.365
Bill Tucker-No Time

Bill's agenda was to take the green and qualify for the Runoffs. He lost his motor at MAM a couple weeks ago, so the PFM Racing crew installed my spare motor in his car and he started at the back.

Race results:

Bill Tucker-1:11.883
Otto Roberts-1:11.282
Harvey West-1:15.545

Bill got a great start passing a couple of EP and GT cars and Harvey before Turn 1. He then passed Otto going into 5 and opened up a 3-4 second advantage. The car looked good until lap 3 when it started to smoke, shortly after, a corner worker thought he saw fire, but wasn't sure. The stewards let him press on under close scrutiny. Meanwhile, Otto ran down Bill and passed him. Otto opened up a 2-3 second lead. It stayed that way for several laps until suddenly Otto slowed and pulled over on the front chute with his car overheating. Bill took over the point with a 20+ second lead over Otto who was letting the car cool. Bill had his own issues with a cockpit filling with oil and a howling diff. He, too, backed it down and saved the car. At this point, the entire race took on a surreal look. There were a bunch of GT, EP and AS cars limping around the track in slow-mo trying to finish with a few T1 and a Trans-Am car screaming around them. Very strange to watch. With about 8 or 10 laps to go, Otto began a late race charge. Bill stepped it up enough to keep Otto at bay and won by 20 seconds. Before he was allowed to take his victory lap, the stewards inspected the oil leak and found that the breather had popped off.

Congrats to Bill on his much deserved win. On a personal note, a huge thanks to Jennifer & Jude Rudder and Ruth & Barrett Braun for swapping motors and prepping Bill's car. Great job guys!

Jim Stevens

jkopp
08-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Great job Bill and kudos to Jim and the gang for going above and beyond and giving Bill his chance this weekend!

jimwheeler
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Congratulations to all. That puts Tucker in The Show and I'm sure Harvey's 3rd will help him make it in Cendiv.
wheel
Edited: Harvey's 3rd makes him solid to qualify in Cendiv.

socalta
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
way to go Bill .. congrats and see you at the Big Show

btucker
08-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Jim, I've been trying to think of a way to express my appreciation, publicly,
for all you did to help me get the start I needed sunday. As if providing and installing an engine wasn't enough you also changed the differential, had the carb. repaired, installed new rotors, got a set of tires mounted and installed
and then delivered the car to the track. As usual you are the master of understatement, as you have been all season. You only set what? four track records as you ran away with the division championship and you could have padded your lead with an easy 12 points sunday but "running up the score"
isn't your style.

You already stated that you had alot of help from Jude, Jennifer, Barrett and
Ruth and my gratitude extends to them as well, but you were the catalast that brought it all together. Thank you all.

Damn, I hope that huge Miller Lite can isn't about to crash down on me.

92AS
08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Damn, I hope that huge Miller Lite can isn't about to crash down on me.

That's funny!!

pfm racing
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
That was a great race to watch. I think I was more nervous about seeing Bill race than I have been in awhile.

As a side note, Jim is my hero.

Bill, I don't think I would worry too much about that Miller Lite can.

Mark Allen
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Congrats Bill on both the win and making the show. I can't wait to see the race on the DVD that Wheel is going to send me again (hint).

Great luck to all of the guys that made it. It is going to be an exciting race this year. Some typically fast cars out of the CENDIV and NEDIV but the fast guys from the Midwest know the track inside and out. I'm looking to watch that blue 'Bird give 'em hell, and of course Tom and Bill in the two blue Camaro's.

Mark

SedanMan
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Some typically fast cars out of the CENDIV and NEDIV but the fast guys from the Midwest know the track inside and out.
MarkJust make sure that someone tells the guys from the West Coast whether the track is run clockwise or counterclockwise. The rest of you are so far ahead on the HPT learning curve that you forget some people have no hot laps there. :eek: :D

jimwheeler
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
All practice and qualifying will be done going clockwise. The race, itself, will be run anti-clockwise. I will be sure and send everyone my custom video showing "the line". I just have to go up and record the video especially for those who want to learn the track.
wheel

SedanMan
08-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I will be sure and send everyone my custom video showing "the line". I just have to go up and record the video especially for those who want to learn the track.
wheelThe video of 'The Line' wouldn't be taken from a golf cart mounted camera after drinking a dozen margaritas, would it? :p

jimwheeler
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
You always were one step ahead of me.

SedanMan
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Just got the current issue of SCCA SportsCar magazine in the mail yesterday. Wouldn't you know it but there's an article in there detailing "one lap of HPT" written by several Pro and National Championship drivers. No mention of a golf cart or margaritas though.

jimwheeler
08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I hope you noticed the #20 red nosed Miata leading the group down the hill. That was two laps before Tucker spun in front of me and we had a coming together. I pretty much agree with their discussion of the lines, etc.

wheel

SedanMan
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
I pretty much agree with their discussion of the lines, etc.
wheelYou mean how some drivers like to use *all* the track, including the dirt next to the pavement? :D

People talk about getting into 'the marbles' with their sticky race tires when they get off line on the paved race track. I've always wondered how coating your sticky race tires with dirt and rocks compared to getting into 'the marbles'.

jimwheeler
08-16-2006, 04:53 PM
The fast way around HPT includes putting the inside front tire all the way onto the rumble strip. The perfect line leaves the outside half of the (inside) tire hanging in the air over the inside edge of the rumble strip. Go a few inches too far and you will have dirt on your sticky tires. Go a few inches too few and you don't use all that the race track gods have given you. There will always be someone who goes a little too far and kicks dirt up for those that follow. You don't want to go over the rumble strip on the outside because that's the tire doing all the work and there is nothing but dust and dirt out there. They may have grass by runoffs time, but the dirt on the outside will ruin your lap time.

wheel