PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhill Double National

wlfpkrcn
03-24-2006, 08:22 PM
No AS cars showed up :( . I guess it's a good thing the Midwest keeps the car counts up

socalta
03-24-2006, 08:26 PM
wow .. down here last week we only had two.

SedanMan
03-25-2006, 05:32 PM
No AS cars showed up :( . I guess it's a good thing the Midwest keeps the car counts upNo kidding. I wonder why the American Sedan class isn't so appealing on the West coast. I can't imagine that everyone believes that it's an expensive, one-make dominated class.

C'mon folks, the sound of American V-8s and the smell of high octane leaded race gas in the morning......what's not to like? :)

Ted Johnson
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
No kidding. I wonder why the American Sedan class isn't so appealing on the West coast. I can't imagine that everyone believes that it's an expensive, one-make dominated class.

C'mon folks, the sound of American V-8s and the smell of high octane leaded race gas in the morning......what's not to like? :)

I'll beat the NASA boys to the punch on this one. NASA is huge on the westcoast. CMC and AI country.

Ted

SedanMan
03-25-2006, 09:49 PM
NASA is huge on the westcoast. If the SCCA American Sedan and NASA AI/AIX cars are that similar, I wonder why everyone on the West coast is choosing to race with NASA and not with SCCA.

socalta
03-26-2006, 08:17 AM
If the SCCA American Sedan and NASA AI/AIX cars are that similar, I wonder why everyone on the West coast is choosing to race with NASA and not with SCCA.

they fear you ... :D

wlfpkrcn
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
If the SCCA American Sedan and NASA AI/AIX cars are that similar, I wonder why everyone on the West coast is choosing to race with NASA and not with SCCA.

Let me give this one a shot...

SCCA- You show up at 7:00. Run a warm up at 8:30. Qualify at 4:30.
NASA- You get 4 sessions a day

SCCA- $350+ per weekend on entry fees
NASA- $279

SCCA- AS=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
NASA- CMC is cheap but has issues. AI/AIX can soak up as much as you want

The one thing that brings down participation in all classes on the west coast.- It's to damn far to drive to Ohio or Topeka for the runoffs. Nobody wants to take 2-3 weeks of vacation to goto the runoffs. The same thing is going to happen to NASA. The majority of the drivers that goto Ohio are going to be east coast guys. I have talked to Jerry Kunzman of NASA many times and told him a rotating National event would get more people interested. Of course what do I know :confused:

These are my opinons. Yours may vary :D

SedanMan
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I have talked to Jerry Kunzman of NASA many times and told him a rotating National event would get more people interested. Of course what do I know :confused:I think this has also been brought up within the SCCA but I don't think it ever made it passed the 'suggestion' stage. Is it too much of a logistical nightmare for SCCA not to settle into one venue for years?

I wonder where the primary resistance has come from to actually make the rotating tracks for the Runoffs a reality......do members oppose the idea, or does the SCCA administration oppose it?

socalta
03-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I wwould guess they sign up for a long term deal .. marketing .. etc and it makes it hard for them to move from place to place. Venue X spends money to get things looking/working right... they need some sort of payback ...Runoffs bring NASCARTV .. I mean SpeedTV .. and lots dollars.

your analysis my differ

t4wallace
03-26-2006, 02:17 PM
My opinion: SCCA has the Runoffs exactly where they want them.

This topic has been covered here and on the SCCA site quite extensively. SCCA almost sounds a bit too defensive with how this worked out (again, in my opinion).

I am a staunch believer in rotation, and maybe they'll prove me wrong and rotate away from Topeka in 3 yrs., but I'll be from Missourin in the meantime.

Here is the problem: logic. It's to logical to have it at M.O., then Road Atlanta (or Barber), then Topeka, and then, GASP!, somewhere out west.

It's good for the Club MEMBERS to move it around, but I'm guessing not good for the Club itself. I'd have to go back and look again at participation, but if they (SCCA) use that as a guide, then I think that CenDiv and NE have the largest influence and will probably "inform" the SCCA of how the feel about the move with their participation this year.

And I haven't even touched the political part of this topic.

PS -- No AS cars showing up for a National doesn't help with the logic, regardless of why (NASA influence). I feel for you guys on that one.

koscieldrk
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=wlfpkrcn]Let me give this one a shot...

SCCA- You show up at 7:00. Run a warm up at 8:30. Qualify at 4:30.
NASA- You get 4 sessions a day

SCCA- $350+ per weekend on entry fees
NASA- $279

Where are you paying $350.00 for an SCCA Entry Fee. Most I've ever paid is $275.00 which I just sent in. Range is $225.00 to $250.00.

wlfpkrcn
03-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Where are you paying $350.00 for an SCCA Entry Fee. Most I've ever paid is $275.00 which I just sent in. Range is $225.00 to $250.00.

Good question. Here is the link to the SFR entry. They entry fee for the double national was $395. The entry prices range from $210 for a regional at Thunderhill (SFR owns the track) to $450 for a couple different events. NASA is $279 for a weekend except Laguna. I think Laguna is $50 more per weekend. Needless to say NASA keeps growing out here.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RoadRacing/2006EntryForm.pdf

jd17
03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
here's daytona's entry form it's a good deal for the price, you would spend more taking your family into daytona usa than you would to race on the track. it would be nice to see 20 or more a/s cars there.
http://www.cfrscca.org/forms/DayNatECR0506.pdf

jd

NorCal_15
03-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Good question. Here is the link to the SFR entry. They entry fee for the double national was $395. The entry prices range from $210 for a regional at Thunderhill (SFR owns the track) to $450 for a couple different events. NASA is $279 for a weekend except Laguna. I think Laguna is $50 more per weekend. Needless to say NASA keeps growing out here.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RoadRacing/2006EntryForm.pdf

There were 3 A/S entered in the Double Natl--Prob. stayed away due to the weather which only cleared the day before. I own an A/S and a T-2 car
and after checking the NASA rules found too much difference between the rules to bother with NASA--SFR Entrys are less expensive than NASA
(210 vs 279) There are lots of A/S cars out here--most sitting in shops and Garages-- Mine will hit the track in May-SCCA Regional--Thunderhill :)

Dean

wlfpkrcn
03-29-2006, 08:30 PM
There is 3 regionals at T-hill at $210 and 1 regional at Sears Point at $250. All the other events are more than a NASA event. All the regionals have less track time than a NASA event. The thing that really drives me nuts is the sitting around bored for 6-7 hours waiting to go back out on track. The track conditions aren't even close to morning warm ups. I try not to show up to the track with the car needing 6 hours of work ;). It would also be nice to see more than 3 AS cars show up. I think the most we saw was during the Double National last year. There were some guys that showed up from Oregon that brought the car count upto 4. I hear there a couple more cars for this year. One that ran in 04 but not 05, and one coming over from NASA. We may make an attempt to show up if there is somebody to race against.

SedanMan
03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
We may make an attempt to show up if there is somebody to race against.Come down to Buttonwillow (SoPac)......I'm as bored as you are!

Do you run Regionals, Nationals, or both?

Unfortunately the track is trying to recoup the cost of a (must be pretty damn nice) tow truck so for the forseeable future there's a $50 per entry per event surcharge. Including the surcharge Buttonwillow entry fees are $350 for a Double National, $320 for a Double Regional.

Nick Littleton
03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Hello Sedan Man... and all west coasters,

I plan on getting the orange car down to Button Willow and hope that we can rally up a few more AS guys. I would have made T Hill but the motor was not quite done.. (kinda glad I missed it actually). I know of a few guys that I raced with in CMC yrs back that should be there (Eric V and Pat Stone, how just got an AS car out of Texas) If you show, that should be 4 cars. How about Steve Stavely? I raced with him 2 yrs ago at BTW... I think he lives down that way. Not sure what happened to Rich C.

Rich, if are out there, call Scott, get the car going and lets go have some fun!

See you in a few weeks!

Nick

wlfpkrcn
03-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey Nick,

How's it going? I talked to Erick earlier and he said you were coming back out. He also told me about Pats 4th gen. Erick is still undecided on what he wants to do this year. He/we need to make a couple more changes to the car before we're ready to go back out. Since there was nobody to race, he wasn't in a big hurry to get it done. Maybe later in the year :confused: He was sounding more interested now that there are a couple more guys to race against. He always had fun racing with you. I'll keep you posted.

Eric

SedanMan
03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I plan on getting the orange car down to Button Willow and hope that we can rally up a few more AS guys.....How about Steve Stavely? I raced with him 2 yrs ago at BTW... I think he lives down that way. Not sure what happened to Rich C.Nick, are you still driving the SSB Camaro? Do you plan to race both this year, or qualify one/both for the Runoffs? Let's make a race of it in Buttonwillow in a few weeks!

Last I heard Steve was selling his car. He may have and if so I'm not sure if it went to a local guy that primarily runs Regionals or if it went to someone else. It would be a shame if it went out of region since there are few enough AS cars here as it is.

Nick Littleton
03-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey Eric et al,

I hope you guys can get the car changed and out to buttonwillow,,, Our cars have a long history of good racing. Tell you what, Bud Light on me after the race if you can make it.

As far as SSB, not planning on running the car but it was alot of fun. Richard Pryor turns out great camaros, it was a fun year, I think it improved my driving and the $ from Kumho was very nice...

I am real excited about getting back in the AS car, the guys over at Motion Motorsports have done a great job at getting the orange car back together... 3rd gens live forever!!!

see you at the track... nick

wlfpkrcn
03-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know if Bud Light is much of an incentive, but I'll let Erick know :D

koscieldrk
03-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Guess with the cost of your entries all you can afford is Bud Light! http://www.asedan.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif Glad I don't live on the West Coast.

wlfpkrcn
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Maybe I should bring a keg of homebrew :D

SedanMan
03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Glad I don't live on the West Coast.Ha! Let's see if you say that when bikini weather is here and lasts for 8 months. It's a darn shame but someone has to look..... :)

Talladega
03-31-2006, 04:25 AM
No kidding. I wonder why the American Sedan class isn't so appealing on the West coast. I can't imagine that everyone believes that it's an expensive, one-make dominated class.

The Price of getting or asses kicked ,and spending to much to just to keep in site with the blue oval,or deciding to use creative measures to out drive
wear things out,with just a avarage ford driver

I'll take TQ over HP any day, but when you can get both becouse of
the bore X stroke combo,,,,,
and carry it longer,,,,

Duck Shit
JT

wlfpkrcn
03-31-2006, 07:19 PM
So roll call for Buttonwillow

Nick
Pat
SedanMan