PDA

View Full Version : MAM - May 23

Tim White
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Sadly the weekend was a war of attrition. Jack Martin never made it to the track, no idea what happened though. Kim lost a water pump on Saturday and ended up taking out his radiator. Bill broke a cam or distributor gear during qualifying. I lost a power steeing line on the 10th lap of the race, did two more laps to get a finish. Wheel cruised to a victory.

Qualifying

1. Wheel 1:41.517
2. White 1:43.846
3. Tucker 1:59.113

Race

1. Wheel 1:43.327
2. White 1:44.732

jimwheeler
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
MAM was the story of ASedan in a microcosm. Last year we had 12 cars. Three (Shawn, Bret and Tom Smith are gone, due to the economy). Jack Martin was working on his GenIV Firebird (X-James Stevens car), right up until deciding he couldn't make the long tow from the Wichita area. Four down.
Ted Johnson was working on brake testing for the Mike McGinley T1 Corvette, (Jeff Kopp is Mike's Crew Chief, and he was working with Ted on the brakes, so didn't bring his car [X-somebody's Gen III Camaro] helping Frank Safranek (X-Asedan Mustang ITR) and helping me, so he did not race his GenIII (X-Tom Wallace Camaro). Kim McDonald (350 cu in Camaro) broke the front off of a new water pump, taking out the radiator and some other stuff, so he was out on Saturday. Tucker broke a cam in Q, and loaded up. That left Tim (X-Kyle Watkins Mustang in the new blue and orange retro colors - beautiful) and me.
I did Sat practice - one lap, Sat regional race - one lap and a hardship lap. Three sessions, three laps, with a bad drive shaft. When I went out on the hardship lap, with the new drive shaft, the car wouldn't start. Ted and a grid worker gave me a push. All of this was supposed to be to bed in and test some new brake pad combinations. Didn't happen.
Worked on the car until about 9:30 p.m. to fix the starter problem. Race was an anti-climax. Car was great. New Willwood calipers and pads are great. Two weeks until HPT when I'll see what it can really do.
wheel

Tim White
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Anti-climatic? It was a bit exciting for me when I was coming into 1 at 140 mph and the power steering hose let go.

http://images19.fotki.com/v1612/photos/9/41989/8751130/DSC9138-vi.jpg

jimwheeler
05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
The smoke compliments the nice blue paint.
wheel