PDA

View Full Version : Road America, May 21-23

King Matt
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
The May 21-23 Double National at Road America is shaping up to be another huge Cendiv event. I see 5 already registered in AS, including Eric Curran surprisingly. Also on the list:

Hetherwick
Pedersen
Regan
Werth

PbFoot
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Isn't there a Nat at Mid Oh that same weekend? If there is, turnout will suffer somewhere.

King Matt
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes, and I think there is also a National at MAM that weekend, but as of today there are 127 entries for RA and 89 for MO, according to the entry lists. We had over 190 entries at Blackhawk a couple weeks ago, so the Doubles seem to be appealing.

thomas toth
05-18-2010, 02:46 AM
The car is ready and I'm signed up......but there are only 7 cars so far. I'm surprised, lots of track time, one tow to and from and points for 2 races on the RunOffs track. Where is everyone???

Tom
#38 Camaro

thomas toth
05-19-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't know who comes up with the run groups but there is a total of 42 Spec Miatas and SS cars in our group, 66 cars in all. Looks like lots and lots of passing with a 30 to 40 mph advantage. Is it me or does this seem dangerous at a track like RA? Or is RA so large that we won't come up on them?

Tom
#38 Camaro

Chris67
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Tom, I think we may have issues this weekend. At the Blackhawk race they moved us to the GT1 group due to safety and it worked out well.
I sent a request to the chief steward to be moved again with no reply. All we can do is to see how the first practice goes and ask again afterward.
Chris Pedersen.

Chris67
05-19-2010, 09:29 AM
One more thing, there are now 101 entires for our race group.

thomas toth
05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
No the listing is wrong..... They moved around the groups but the open wheel cars still show in group 5 (I think they went to our original group) so when you take them out we are in the 60's.

Who did you e-mail......I'll also make the request.

Tom

Chris67
05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Mike Engelke. He is the chief steward.

thomas toth
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
E-Mail has been sent.

Tom

King Matt
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
The revised group numbers have been fixed, but you guys still have 63 cars in Group 5. Group 2 with GT1 has 27, so it would be easy for them to move you to it. I don't know why they keep putting AS in the small-bore group when there is a big-bore group.

wre46
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
We are up in the UPPER paddock in space 1. We will be testing the new GForce GT4 trans tomorrow, then swap out for our T-10 for the rest of the weekend. Come by to see the new piece and see what you think.

Jeff and crew.

Sparky
05-20-2010, 10:22 PM
The revised group numbers have been fixed, but you guys still have 63 cars in Group 5. Group 2 with GT1 has 27, so it would be easy for them to move you to it. I don't know why they keep putting AS in the small-bore group when there is a big-bore group.

Matt,

From the GCR:

3.5.5. Changing Supplemental Regulations
All changes to the Supplemental Regulations and event schedule must
be approved by the SOM. Except for modifications to the schedule and/
or class groupings, no changes may be made to the Supplemental Regulations
after the pre-entry period is open unless either there is unanimous
agreement by all affected competitors who have already entered,
or the SOM determine changes are necessary for reasons of safety or
forces beyond their control.

Hard to get a unanimous vote from all entrants. Generally, the SOM's move classes down, not up in groups. If you are in group 5 and your Qual time is at 11:00 am then they move you to group 2, now your session is at 8:30 am. Not fair to the entry. :( Therefore it would be a judgement call regarding safety before the SOM would make that change.

This doesn't answer your queston about the small-bore vs. big-bore question, but from what I know, they don't like to mix "slick tire" classes with "street tires" classes :eek: for whatever reason. Although, I have seen this done.

Don :ciao:

wre46
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
OK guys, we are in group 2. Todays qualifying session go fogged out, so we just got to do a few laps in the morning rain. They are calling for thick fog till 10am tomorrow morning. We may end up drawing for qualifying position. More to follow.

King Matt
05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
This doesn't answer your queston about the small-bore vs. big-bore question, but from what I know, they don't like to mix "slick tire" classes with "street tires" classes :eek: for whatever reason. Although, I have seen this done.

Don :ciao:
Hey, all I know is that they have ended up moving AS from the small-bore group with SM to the big-bore group with GT1 at the last two Cendiv Nationals. Just seems to make sense to me that they would be there in the first place. When the change was made at Blackhawk a few weeks ago, the SOM mentioned closing speeds in the group, so I guess they are pulling the safety card there. At RA the change was made today, as Jeff noted above. Weather today sucked. I made half a lap in my FV before I had an electrical problem, but even that was more than most guys got! :p

smithpr
05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Update please:)

thomas toth
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Ugly Day on Friday.....very few cars went out for practice due to rain. Rain stopped around 1:00 and then came the fog. SCCA held off until about 3:00 and the fog didn't clear. It was decided that there would be no qualifying on Friday and the Saturday AM qualifying would be used for both sessions.

In Qualifying Andy broke a clutch and Curran took one lap under the yellow and came in. I believe Jeff Werth took the pole followed by Heatherwick, Pederson, Toth, Regan with McDermid and Curran in the back.

Weather was good for race A&B. The results:

Race A

McDermid 2:29.531
Curran 2:33.498
Werth 2:33.154
Heatherwick
Pedersen
Toth
Regan

Race B

McDermid 1:29.525
Werth 1:31.882
Heatherwick 1:37.026
Pedersen
Toth
Regan
Curran (out after 7 laps)

koscieldrk
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow :eek:You guys were flying in Race "B" Did you use some kind of new rocket fuel :D

Jerry Post
05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Do we know what car Curran was driving?

Any information on who was running which engine configurations?

Thanks.

Ken Felice
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Engine size!
I think the only big motors were Curran,Werth.The rest had 302 conf. Seemed to work for all no matter what they ran.There were some steel heads.Peterson Regan.Long weekend with weater problems but over all fun.I meet some new AS drivers and crew very nice people,as you would expect.

Ken Felice

Jerry Post
05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Ken, thanks very much.

thomas toth
05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Curran was driving a 4th Gen car....white with blue and yellow graphics.

Tom

wre46
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I was running a 305 and about 40lbs over. Trans was bad for race 2 but we learned alot. Used old tires for race 2. Andy is fast as always.

Jerry Post
05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks all for the information.

Wonder if Curran was driving Kelly Lubash's 4th gen? Blue and Yellow.

Jeff are you willing to disclose if you are running aluminum or iron heads? I understand if you do not.

We have struggled building a reliable 302 so we are back to our old 305 for awhile until we figure it out, will try to get our 4 races in for the ROs and be ready by then.

Jerry

t4wallace
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks all for the information.

Wonder if Curran was driving Kelly Lubash's 4th gen? Blue and Yellow.

Jeff are you willing to disclose if you are running aluminum or iron heads? I understand if you do not.

We have struggled building a reliable 302 so we are back to our old 305 for awhile until we figure it out, will try to get our 4 races in for the ROs and be ready by then.

Jerry
Get it figured out Jerry. It sucked watching you go thru that last year.

FWIW, you should be able to get an AL-head 305 to be competitive.

Jerry Post
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Tom. We are working on a 305 and 302, hopefully we will be competitive soon. I really don't want to make an engine change in the rain, in the grass at the ROs again.

Talladega
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Curran was driving a 4th Gen car....white with blue and yellow graphics.

Tom

It could be a car built by Bob Griffith and owned by Eric Morrow from Conn.

Were the fuel cells in rear pass, seats?

T

wre46
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Jerry

It is an aluminum head 305 based motor.