PDA

View Full Version : Daytona

Sean #40
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I will leave it to others to describe the racing!
The track will be re surfaced after the Nascar race this summer, so we were the last SCCA group to run on old bumpy.
I am retiring from racing and will miss it a lot but have other interesting plans.
So thanks for all the help and encouragement,
And a special thanks to Chuck and Chas Dawson the best guys I have ever met
racing.
Ta Ta.:cheers:
Forgot to mention the car is for sale.

fastandyracing
05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Sean,

I was happy to see you this weekend, and sorry to hear about your impending retirement. He is on to other (more expensive) hobbies, restoring old planes and flying, and we think racing is expensive:eek:

If anyone is looking for a good race car at a very reasonable price, contact him, he was only asking $6000 for the car, and the parts bill to reproduce it would easily triple that.

As for the racing, there were only three AS cars, myself, Al Bailey and Sean.

I took pole with a 2.14, Al and Sean both had minor issues in qualifiying, and got no real times.

In the Saturday race, at the start, Sean got right behind me for the first pass through the infield, but had a rubber elbow in the air cleaner come loose and block about 30% of the air flow in the carb, so he dropped back pretty quickly and Al got by him for second. No damage to Sean's car, just the shame of letting two Mustangs beat him.

On Sunday, Sean decided discretion was the better part of valor, and after determining that the car was running fine, put it on the trailer while it was still in good running (read that saleable) condition.

In the Sunday race, I got a miserable start, the inside line didn't go, and you can't pass below the yellow on starts or restarts, so I fell back at the beginning. Al got up pretty close behind me, and I only gapped him a little (if any) in the first couple of laps, then he had a rear axle bearing get really noisy, (it had been making a noise in qualifying, but not bad enough for him to find it), and then the seal went and started spewing oil, so he got black flagged and had to come in. The rest of the race was uneventful (but really hot, in the 90's this weekend), and I finished first in AS and 7th overall.

I don't know how I feel about the track repaving, a part of me is sad, but another part of me is very happy that the bumps won't be there next time we get to race it. I guess we will see how it is next year.

Overall, it was a great weekend, there were three guys who came out to see the racing and are actively building AS cars locally, that makes about 8 cars I know of now under construction, so I am optomistic that we will see some larger fields later this year.

I was especially happy to put the car back on the trailer in one piece, I had just finished painting it the week before the race, and had visions of wadding it up into a ball, but no contact, it was a good weekend:thumbsup: