PDA

View Full Version : Live from the VIR Double National

PamRichardson
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey everyone --

We just finished day one of qualifying at VIR. 11 AS cars registered but today we only had 6 take the grid. Unfortunately, Jerry Post, I heard, blew a motor on lap two of qual 1 and has left. Perhaps when he gets home he can fill us in on what happened.

Also, Tom Ellis (Mr. 2:08 at VIR, so I've heard... :)))))), will be here tomorrow, so didn't qualify today. We have another 15 minuter tomorrow for tomorrow's race, then another 15 minuter on Sunday for Sunday's race.

But, so far, here are the qual results:

For Saturday's race:

1. Daniel Richardson, 2:11.001 on Kumho tires.
2. Robert Eubanks, 2:17.366, on Hoosiers, I think.
3. John Lechner, 2:18.873, also, on Hoosiers.
4. Tony Broglin, 2:19.925, Hoosiers.
5. Chuck Dawson, 2:29.132, Hoosiers.
6. Jerry Post, 2:34.631, Hoosiers.

For Sunday's Race:

1. Daniel Richardson, 2:15.177, on Kumho practice tires, with softening the shocks (this did not work...).
2. Robert Eubanks, 2:15.966.
3. Tony Broglin, 2:16.261.
4. John Lechner, 2:17.850.
5. Chuck Dawson, 2:24.810.

I'll try to send another report tomorrow before the race and after. The weather is gorgeous and LOTS of people are here.

Pam Richardson, the other driver of AS 15...

socalta
04-16-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks Pam .. love getting the reports to read..
Sorry to hear about Jerry ... I hope he fills us in

be safe all..

PamRichardson
04-17-2010, 09:23 PM
The race was fine for all AS drivers, in that everyone did well, played fairly, and is ok to run tomorrow. However, the other classes... Well... The start was a disastrous mess. Pace car was way too fast, an STO car (I think) had trouble on the pace lap and started waving people by as he slowed, but stopped waving people by at Danny, then noticed more to wave by, then sped up and retook his place (I'm guessing the stewards didn't like that). Danny said he was at full race speed through most of the 3.27 mile pace lap trying to catch up. The front of the grid accelerated away from the pace car at full speed and got a surprising green. A Ferrari that had been smoking on the grid and the pace lap, blew his motor on the last turn as the field behind was coming to take the green and put out so much smoke the back of the field, most of the AS cars, couldn't see through it. Danny said there was some crazy driving by some other class cars, passing 4 wheels on the grass, etc. and lots of cars off before the end of the race. He suspects there will be far fewer than 38 cars to take the grid tomorrow. I talked to the operating steward who was aware of all the problems and said at the least the pace car would be slowed tomorrow.

Tom Ellis qualed this morning and after 3 laps was at a 2:09, so had the pole. His "most improved driver" award in 2009 is carrying right into 2010. Congrats to Tom! The gaps at the start caused by all the other cars causing problems stayed pretty much the same throughout the race.

Hats off to Pat Wilmot in the former Ken Anderson Mustang, in his second year of racing and doing quite well. Danny says he is finally not the youngest AS driver because Paul is 21 and Danny is 22.

Finishing order:

Tom Ellis, 2:11.183
Daniel Richardson, 2:11.614
Tony Broglin, 2:13.183
John Lechner, 2:15.291
Robert Eubanks, 2:16.559
Pat Wilmot, 2:12.684

Tomorrow morning's qualifying should set the grid with cooler temps and lots of sunshine. I probably won't post results till after I get home, probably early in the week. And, oh, BTW, the results aren't final yet, apparently a lot of protests are going on, my guess is a lot of driver to driver stuff, but I don't know for sure (no AS cars are involved).

Danny"TheKraken"Richardson
04-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Was an ok race.... Got hit by a t2 on the start, watched tom pull away from behind a ferrari... almost got to the point of punting said ferrari... got a point by by ferrari, and then slowed down to save tires.... i cant wait for tomorrow.

PatWilmot
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Had a good race with Tony Saturday for the first half and finally got by in turn 1. But not long after that i put it off in the last turn and sat for two laps before getting the car restarted.

04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Sunday Race..Great race! At about lap 9 of 14, a full course yellow came out and me and pat played catchup to tom. The restart was Tom then 3 cars then me and pat nose to tail. Green flag dropped.. Tom ran off cause hes superman, and me and pat went into turn 1 side by side. He chose the correct side, and my lane stopped... tried to catch him the rest of the way around the 3 mile course but couldnt pull it off. Good job tom and Good Job Pat!

tellis#51sediv
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
What a great race weekend at VIR. If you have ever been there you know the track and facilities are top notch. They really did a great job with the double national even having someone come around to all the drivers and thank them for coming. The socials on both nights were excellent too. I really enjoyed spending time with everyone and meeting John from Ohio. Everyone drove a great race but my hat is off to Pat and Danny. These two young guns turned in some very respectful times considering their track time at VIR which I am not sure about Danny but I know it was Pat's first time. It will not be long till both of them are running up front at the runoffs. My race did go well as Chuck did some adjustments to the car and it was handling perfectly. Appreciate the kind words Danny but it really comes down to constantly tweaking on the car and getting more and more seat time. Both you and Pat are way ahead of where I was when I first started so you should be very proud of the times you were doing. Look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Tom

Ted Johnson
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Tom, have you checked for any grey marks on your rear bumper. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-UHEcb2C9E

King Matt
04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
That looked like one of those moments where the difference between hero and zero was about a half an inch!

jkopp
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
That looked like one of those moments where the difference between hero and zero was about a half an inch!

I like how Marty has the radio in his car blairing the track PA channel = great idea. Time to dig out the old Supertuner and 6x9's!

Walther
04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
That looked to me like the difference between a nimble light weight car vs. raw American V8 horsepower....The way Tom pulled away on the straights. Personally- I like running with the EP cars at Sebring. We kinda "rubber band" each other all over the course. It looked like maybe Tom had to slow for that RX7.

Great narratives. I gotta get back to the track!!

fastandyracing
04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't think the radio would work so well in an AS car, way to noisey, I don't think I could hear it in mine with 10 speakers.

What kind of car was that in the video??, and what kind of brakes does it have anyway :eek: Maybe it doesn't have any brakes, what do you think.

Andy

jkopp
04-20-2010, 06:44 PM
It's a T2 Evo and Marty is fast. He was leading the T2 race at the Runoffs when his wheel came off.

04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
He has AWD and is an amazing driver...... he definately hit me on sat race in turn 1 tho lol.... almost hit him back sunday (accident) on the pace lap #2 when the whole pack came to a dead stop on the front straight. Including the restart on sunday... every single pace lap sucked hahaha. Saturday there were cars 1/4 of the track away from the green flag when it dropped.

Side Note: If you are a crew person and your car pulls onto the grid with smoke billowing out of your tailpipes... do you maybe stop the driver from entering the course..... Because some people....... Go blow up on the start anyway! ;)

Dawson Motorsports
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Man am I getting old. Had power steering problems all weekend long.
I used to be able to drive one without it, but not at VIR.
Saturday, lap 3 lost the pump, Sunday qual, lost the ext. neck.
Thanks to Danny and Pam, they had a spare cap for the pump in Sundays race.
When Tom was on the podium, he found the ext. neck.
Never was able to work on the shock package, just threw a setting and went.
Guess, I'll try and get it closer before the Sprints.
Chuck

tellis#51sediv
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Ted,
Believe it or not Marty actually did not hit me. Thank goodness for those awesome brakes he has and all wheel drive Evo. He talked to me after the race and said he did not see the Mazda that was checked up and now realized why I got on the brakes so hard. That Evo is really fast as he could pretty much stay with me going down the straights once he got past the T2 BMW. Marty is a very talented driver also.

Tom